Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2008, 09:10   #76
Senior - BHPian

These are questions of a rookie.

What are those equipments?

1. Between two headlights.
2. In front of Indicators.
3. On fenders.

I saw these euipment in most of the army vehicles. Never able to know what are those.

Anyway, this Jeep looks very neatly done. Hats off to the owner.
Old 16th July 2008, 11:44   #77
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Military blackout lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
What are those equipments?
1. Between two headlights.
2. In front of Indicators.
3. On fenders.

I saw these equipment in most of the army vehicles. Never able to know what are those.
anujmishra, those are blackout lights.

What are blackout lights?
When a convoy of military vehicles move at night and when there can be enemy aircraft in the sky, you don't want them to see the vehicle headlights.

Blackout lighting is made so that it cannot be easily seen from above, yet provides just enough light so that you can follow the vehicle directly in front of you.

A really mean looking Jeep-jeepblackoutlights.jpg

The wiring is arranged so that when you switch on the lights you only get blackout lights on. There is a special switch to use normal lights instead of blackout lights.

Prevents the driver from accidentally revealing his location to aircraft.
Ram

What is a blackout
During the 1962 China war and 1965 Pakistan war and 1971 Bangladesh liberation war we were all instructed to minimize night-time show of light, especially light directed or reflected towards the sky. This was to keep enemy aircraft from being able to visually see Bombay below. Even we civilians pasted brown paper on all home and office window glasses and painted black the top-halves of our headlamps.
Old 16th July 2008, 13:18   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
What are blackout lights?
When a convoy of military vehicles move at night and when there can be enemy aircraft in the sky, you don't want them to see the vehicle headlights.

Blackout lighting is made so that it cannot be easily seen from above, yet provides just enough light so that you can follow the vehicle directly in front of you.
Thanks for excellent explanation. I am seeing those lights in military vehicles since childhood but never able to know what are those.

Even I saw wire are coming out from those blackout lights but ruled out possiblity of lights because of dark color.

Even now it serves purpose and deceives civilians (like me) with its appearance.
Old 27th April 2009, 19:31   #79
BHPian

Totally Agree with you. Could've been one mean looking machine turned out to be a espresso from a roadside tea shop.
But its a lovely vehicle and if the owner thinks its cool then it is. Just giving my opinion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks