Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2007, 02:47   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post

He's converting a Jeep into a Rubicon (like the Jeep Rubicon) right now. He showed me work-in-progress pics. Looking pretty good already.
my uncle already did this years ago it was a so close to the real deal that most people mistook it for a rubicon and even my chachaji from us of a mistook it and he owns a rubicon in the US

it even had a v6 diesel engine and it when like....................................
Old 15th April 2007, 11:35   #47
elf
BANNED

And a Willys costs...?
Old 16th April 2007, 02:38   #48
BHPian

2.5 lakhs fully loaded, but know i think prices have come down because of lack of demand.
Old 16th April 2007, 11:25   #49
Senior - BHPian

If Iam not wrong Willys were always LHD, the one showed here is an RHD. Looks like sticker work
Old 16th April 2007, 16:24   #50
BHPian

is this 'WILLYs' doing rounds of Pune roads??? spotted the same/similar one just outside Mocha yesderday and other day at Angal park near Chatushringi mandir
Old 28th April 2007, 19:39   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I saw this mean looking Jeep today. I took the owner's permission before I snapped the photo. Some creative mod job...

Nice and clean work.
Old 28th April 2007, 20:27   #52
Ram
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, this is a modded 1955 Willys DJ-6 two-wheel-drive RHD delivered to India under the UNICEF program.

Further ref: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...tml#post188784

Ram
Old 29th April 2007, 04:54   #53
BHPian

the one thing needed to complete the look is a sweaty angelina jolie in a tank top with combat fatigues swigging budweiser and sitting on the bonnet.
whats a rugged jeep without a hood-ornament?
Old 27th June 2008, 00:51   #54
BHPian

Dude that thing would be disemboweled on a trail.
cheers
jammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Super fantastic job. Now thats what i call rugged and actual jeep looks
Old 27th June 2008, 12:15   #55
BHPian

That is a nice jeep. Looks like it is ready to drive on a trans himalayan adventure, or anywhere else.

Come on guys, don't nitpick this tough jeep. It is true to the original design intent of being capable of getting through any type of terrain. If the mechanical are as good shape as the interior, this jeep is a winner.

Yeah the pitchfork should be a shovel, but maybe on Indian streets, the pitchfork can be used to threaten other cars that get in your way.

Cheers,

Gaurav
Old 27th June 2008, 12:35   #56
Team-BHP Support

I am wondering how could one make out it is 2WD just looking at the wheel hub from the side. For me the rear hub too look the same.

I shot this when I was Jeep ignorant, I would have asked lot more questions to the owner if it was now.
Old 27th June 2008, 14:54   #57
Senior - BHPian

Is it a 2WD? I think i can see the bulge of the front differential in the photograph. Or is it an illusion?
Old 27th June 2008, 15:23   #58
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am wondering how could one make out it is 2WD just looking at the wheel hub from the side. For me the rear hub too look the same.

I shot this when I was Jeep ignorant, I would have asked lot more questions to the owner if it was now.
Samurai: Mahindra (from Willys ancestry) Jeeps have fully floating hubs on the front axle.

Consider a single side, left or right for a 4x4 Jeep.

The driving half-shaft goes through this full floating hub.
At its hub end the half-shaft has 10-splines. These splines engage teeth in a driving flange secured to the hub with six bolts.

Finally the flange is capped with a dust cup packed with grease.

To fit a lockable free-wheeling hub, you removed these six bolts and pulled off the flange. The free-wheeling hub body would then replace the driving flange.

A threaded screw plate, when twisted clockwise, would couple the hub body to the splined axle shaft, so that the axle could drive the hub.

When twisted anticlockwise, it would separate the splined axle from the driven hub, effectively freewheeling the front wheel.

The two-wheel drive Mahindras use the same floating hub, but there is no splined axle shaft.

So instead of the six-hole toothed flange, there is a simple circular plate with three holes.

So when you see the front hub of a Mahindra,
It will either have (for 4x4) a driving flange secured with six bolts and wearing a grease cap , or in the (4x2) case, a circular tin plate secured with three bolts (every alternate one), the plate itself serving as a grease cap.

Cheers...
Ram
Old 27th June 2008, 15:35   #59
Senior - BHPian

^^ there seem to be six bolts in the front axle in the above pic : so doesnt it mean 4WD?
Old 27th June 2008, 15:46   #60
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Wow! That one looks like its ready to mow down an entire jungle and clear a mountain in one go. Its wonderful to see people get creative with something that otherwise looks so spartan.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks