Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2019, 11:54   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Not sure if it's the same vehicle, but I happened to see a certain White monster Jeep similar to the one in the video above being serviced in Mahindra service center,

I have a question, Is the radiator guard of MM540 interchangeable with Thar? I like the ring around the headlight stamped on the radiator guard.
I think you saw modified white Thar with SPOA , it has attended various events and few RFC.

Yes, net is interchangeable.
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 13:20   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
I think you saw modified white Thar with SPOA , it has attended various events and few RFC.

Yes, net is interchangeable.
Cool, I`m glad to meet yet another Hero Jeep

I was referring to the bit where headlights are mounted on by saying radiator guard, is that interchangeable as well? There is this ring channel around the headlight on the MM series which is a nice detail to have.
Old 10th July 2019, 16:28   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Cool, I`m glad to meet yet another Hero Jeep

I was referring to the bit where headlights are mounted on by saying radiator guard, is that interchangeable as well? There is this ring channel around the headlight on the MM series which is a nice detail to have.
Hi,

The front radiator grille can be fitted albeit with alterations made to suit the Thar Radiator, intercooler, condensor and all other fittings. As for the body yes, it will fit. Also, the bottom mounts are different for Thar and 550.

I feel its a lot of work. Not a direct fit.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 16:32   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I see you plonked in a Nissan BD30 engine. It gets good reviews, I noticed.

3.0L, about 100bhp.

A question for you. What is the biggest (most powerful) engine you could put into a MM550-MM540 in India?

I mean, without having to do way major exotic surgery, without having to break the bank, without having to diminsih reliability? BD30 is pretty good. Is there yet another upgrade possible and pragmatically speaking beyond the BD30?
Hi DD,

I have the BD30Ti. Shells out around ~150bhp. The best and the most reliable option of retrofitting a reliable and powerful engine would be of a Scorpio chain drive engine and tune the hell out of it.

The reason I opted for the BD30 was weight. I really wanted the jeep to be light weight. if you really want even bigger engines, a v8 petrol from the LC sounds great. It'll fit in the 540, but you'll have to alter the firewall.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 19:54   #80

Mahindra MM540 - Need experts advice to purchase & modify!!!

Hello everyone !!

I'm a new member of team-BHP especially signed up with an intention to gain much knowledge on mahindra's thar / MM 540 / MM 550.

I'm planning to buy a 2000 year manufactured and registered mahindra MM 540. In this regard I have the following queries:

Vehicle condition:
1. A/C was installed.
2. Entire body is painted.
3. Seems like engine is not changed but owner claims that he has changed the engine ( Engine needs to turned off by pulling a lever beside steering wheel - hope this helps you all on figuring out on the engine)
4. It's a 4*4 vehicle, when I tried to shift 4*4 lever it was pretty hard but owner claims it is in working condition.
5. Water proof soft top was installed.

Queries:
1. Can I spend 2L on this vehicle.
2. If I want to get that MM 540 inspected by all means in Hyderabad who would be the best ( Please share the contact too)
3. What is the cost of converting the brakes to power brakes ?(As I heard that MM 540 brakes are low on performance )
4. What is the cost of installing a thar dashboard?
5. What is the cost of converting the steering to power steering?
6. Any components that you suggest me to change in engine ?

All jeep gurus please help me in owning a perfect jeep by replying to my post.

Anyone from Hyderabad can guide me through the list of contacts that can help me in checking the condition of the vehicle.

I'm posting the pictures for reference.

Thanks in advance!!

Regards,
Vamshi.J
Attached Thumbnails
The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!-20190629_201215.jpg  

The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!-20190629_201235.jpg  

The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!-20190721_083710.jpg  

The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!-20190629_201344.jpg  

The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!-20190721_083653.jpg  

The Jeep - MM540XD Transformed!-20190629_201256.jpg  

Old 22nd July 2019, 23:31   #81
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra MM540 - Need experts advice to purchase & modify!!!

We have no idea from where we sit what condition this vehicle is in. That's the truth of it.

You might ask him why he is selling it, and then watch his reaction to your question very, very closely.

Seems to me you might do better with a newer MM550. I am right away a little suspect of a guy who would deceive by putting Thar badges on it. Who is he trying to kid and why?
DirtyDan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 06:49   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
We have no idea from where we sit what condition this vehicle is in. That's the truth of it.
Exactly !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamshi View Post
Dear friend,

Let me warn you that you are just about to enter a world of pain and eventual financial loss and frustration. From your questions, it appears that you have absolutely not clue about the MM540/MM550 (no offence meant). Please try to find an earlier model of used Thar CRDe. I know that the asking price will be more than what you are going to pay for this vehicle. But trust me, you will end up spending the same amount on this vehicle eventually and it will still be shit !!. Thar CRDe was developed for people like you, who want to enjoy a jeep, but not technically inclined and to make your local jeep mechanic rich in the process.

Take this advice from a guy who has owned/driven/repaired/modified EVERY Jeep models sold by Mahindra. And if you decide to go for this vehicle, don't pay more that 1.75 lakhs at the most.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 23rd July 2019 at 06:55.
4x4addict is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 12:22   #83

Quote:

You might ask him why he is selling it, and then watch his reaction to your question very, very closely.

Seems to me you might do better with a newer MM550. I am right away a little suspect of a guy who would deceive by putting Thar badges on it. Who is he trying to kid and why?
He has 2 jeeps, one is bought for him and the other one is for his brother. As his brother has left to abroad for further studies they want to sell this vehicle.
Old 23rd July 2019, 15:12   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamshi View Post
H..
3. Seems like engine is not changed but owner claims that he has changed the engine ( Engine needs to turned off by pulling a lever beside steering wheel - hope this helps you all on figuring out on the engine)..
Hopefully, he has put an MDi engine, otherwise dont even go near it.

Quote:
Queries:
1. Can I spend 2L on this vehicle.
Whats your intended end result. Otherwise its just putting money down the drain.
Quote:
3. What is the cost of converting the brakes to power brakes ?(As I heard that MM 540 brakes are low on performance )
Around 40-50k.

Quote:
5. What is the cost of converting the steering to power steering?
Around 30-40k.
Quote:
6. Any components that you suggest me to change in engine ?
Quote:
People say "Jeeps are built, not bought" and may other fancy quotes only to lure people into the trap. Owning a Jeep requires very clear goals and intentions, otherwise, you just keep spending money on it with no end.

If you really want a 4x4, try starting with the Thar, and if you are not satisfied, go for these jugaads. A used 2011 Thar will cost you only 4-5 lacs.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 20:30   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hopefully, he has put an MDi engine, otherwise dont even go near it.

Whats your intended end result. Otherwise its just putting money down the drain.

Around 40-50k.

Around 30-40k.

People say "Jeeps are built, not bought" and may other fancy quotes only to lure people into the trap. Owning a Jeep requires very clear goals and intentions, otherwise, you just keep spending money on it with no end.

If you really want a 4x4, try starting with the Thar, and if you are not satisfied, go for these jugaads. A used 2011 Thar will cost you only 4-5 lacs.
Thanks for your reply !!!

As learning is a continuous process, would like to modify the jeep by getting the inputs from you people..

I just thought of modifying the jeep as per my below stated requirement:

1. Upgrading brakes (Front disc rear drum).
2. Install a new thar dashboard and floor console.
3. Service the 4*4 transmission. As I'm pretty interested in off-roading.
4. Convert my steering to MDPS for smooth driving.
5. Change the performance related engine components (install Bosch fuel pump e.t.c. depending on the present engine condition)
Old 24th July 2019, 19:03   #86
Senior - BHPian

Even I think, that for a novice a new Thar is the best proposition. At the most a couple of years old one from a known source.

As others have said, an old Jeep will drink money day in and day out, if you have no clue. A 2L purchase will balloon to 5L to 6L, not to speak of time spent at the garage - normally one Sunday a month till you wisen up.

Last edited by Aroy : 24th July 2019 at 19:05.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 17:16   #87
BHPian

As wisely advised by many senior Jeepers, you better keep looking for a used Thar which will obviously be twice the amount or more what you would pay for this one, but it is a much better vehicle and you can live with it comfortably for quite sometime.

Swami
Old 30th July 2019, 11:14   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
As wisely advised by many senior Jeepers, you better keep looking for a used Thar which will obviously be twice the amount or more what you would pay for this one, but it is a much better vehicle and you can live with it comfortably for quite sometime.

Swami
An old Thar may cost more up front, but with very few repairs (if any) required), it will soon pay for it self. An MM540/550 of twenty years vintage will just soak up all your money.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks