Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2019, 19:53   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Restoring my Ford GPW Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadig View Post
Silverwood, where are you getting your jeep restored in Bangalore? Am looking for a mechanic and am based in Bangalore.
It is being restored in Mysore. Another month to go I guess.

Waseem.
Old 16th October 2019, 18:30   #32

Thanks Waseem and good luck. Can you please connect me with the mechanic.

Am desperate to get the work started on the gpw.

Regards
Jaggi
Old 24th June 2020, 00:28   #33
Senior - BHPian

First coat of paint done today.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring my Ford GPW Jeep-img20200623wa0139.jpg  

Restoring my Ford GPW Jeep-img20200623wa0136.jpg  

Restoring my Ford GPW Jeep-img20200623wa0137.jpg  

Restoring my Ford GPW Jeep-img20200623wa0134.jpg  

Restoring my Ford GPW Jeep-img20200623wa0135.jpg  

Restoring my Ford GPW Jeep-img20200623wa0132.jpg  

Restoring my Ford GPW Jeep-img20200623wa0133.jpg  

Restoring my Ford GPW Jeep-img20200623wa0131.jpg  

Restoring my Ford GPW Jeep-img20200623wa0130.jpg  

Restoring my Ford GPW Jeep-img20200623wa0128.jpg  

Restoring my Ford GPW Jeep-img20200623wa0129.jpg  

Restoring my Ford GPW Jeep-img20200622wa0087.jpg  

Restoring my Ford GPW Jeep-img20200622wa0088.jpg  

Restoring my Ford GPW Jeep-img20200622wa0085.jpg  

Restoring my Ford GPW Jeep-img20200622wa0084.jpg  

Restoring my Ford GPW Jeep-img20200622wa0082.jpg  

Restoring my Ford GPW Jeep-img20200622wa0083.jpg  

Restoring my Ford GPW Jeep-img20200622wa0080.jpg  

Restoring my Ford GPW Jeep-img20200622wa0081.jpg  

Restoring my Ford GPW Jeep-img20200622wa0078.jpg  

Restoring my Ford GPW Jeep-img20200622wa0079.jpg  

SILVERWOOD is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 20:32   #34
Senior - BHPian

The final product.

After almost one year.

Waseem.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring my Ford GPW Jeep-img20200917wa0104.jpg  

Restoring my Ford GPW Jeep-img20200917wa0116.jpg  

Restoring my Ford GPW Jeep-img20200917wa0104.jpg  

Restoring my Ford GPW Jeep-img20200917wa0103.jpg  

SILVERWOOD is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 21:05   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
The final product.

After almost one year.

Waseem.

Great restoration Waseem Ji, your Jeep looks brand new. This is a very desirable vehicle. Love the paint color.

Can you please share the total costs associated with the restoration process? Like Denting, Painting charges, Mechanicals, Electricals, Parts, etc?

I'm a huge Jeep fan and I enquired about procuring one old restored jeep in Afzalgunj, Hyderabad. They generally buy old jeeps from 50s and 60s or even before to early 2000s from auctions. They scrape entire paint of body and chassis to bare metal like your jeep, rebuild the engine and gearbox, and they also do complete electrical work and mechanicals. All for 3 lakh rupees including RTO work. They have couple of Jeeps which are to be delivered to customers and I've seen them. The finished products are in pretty decent shape too. There are these individual repair / restoration shops behind 7 hills bank in Afzalgunj. Does it make sense to go for one of these vehicles or would it be wiser to buy a New Thar? I'm not considering a new vehicle right now due to the pandemic situation but the if I get that itch to own a Jeep again, what would you suggest? Lovely thread. I enjoyed reading / seeing all the work in progress and finished product.
Old 17th September 2020, 21:25   #36
BHPian

Quote:
The final product.

After almost one year.

Waseem.
Fine example of a beautiful restoration, lovely colour and contrasting interior seats.

A nerd question, are these nylon tyres? To complete the period look.
Old 19th September 2020, 13:31   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Great restoration Waseem Ji, your Jeep looks brand new. This is a very desirable vehicle. Love the paint color.

Can you please share the total costs associated with the restoration process? Like Denting, Painting charges, Mechanicals, Electricals, Parts, etc?

I'm a huge Jeep fan and I enquired about procuring one old restored jeep in Afzalgunj, Hyderabad. They generally buy old jeeps from 50s and 60s or even before to early 2000s from auctions. They scrape entire paint of body and chassis to bare metal like your jeep, rebuild the engine and gearbox, and they also do complete electrical work and mechanicals. All for 3 lakh rupees including RTO work. They have couple of Jeeps which are to be delivered to customers and I've seen them. The finished products are in pretty decent shape too. There are these individual repair / restoration shops behind 7 hills bank in Afzalgunj. Does it make sense to go for one of these vehicles or would it be wiser to buy a New Thar? I'm not considering a new vehicle right now due to the pandemic situation but the if I get that itch to own a Jeep again, what would you suggest? Lovely thread. I enjoyed reading / seeing all the work in progress and finished product.
As the saying goes ''Jeeps are built, not bought''.

You need lots of patience to get a vintage Jeep restored.

I am moving to Hyderabad in the next 6 weeks. You can drive my GPW and then make up your mind to buy/restore a vintage Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Fine example of a beautiful restoration, lovely colour and contrasting interior seats.

A nerd question, are these nylon tyres? To complete the period look.
These are NDMS tyres.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 15:55   #38
Senior - BHPian

These WWII era Jeeps are every bit works of art in my estimation. My compliments on your project and resultant vehicle, Silverwood. These are a wonder of rugged simplicity. Top generals including Eisenhower credit this jeep as instrumental to the winning of WWII. It's no exageration (though some heroic Russians may have chipped in a smidge).

I have wondered what the ordeal would be today in India to produce such a vehicle, an upgraded version. Of course, it's not going to get passed the stalwart steadfast Indian CMVR (Central Motor Vehicle Rules)...those wonderful people whose job depends on saving you from yourself, or the insurance companies from paying out premiums, take your choice.

I would love to bop around in an upgraded WWII era Jeep. I could actually live without air bags, central door locking, doors themselves, ABS, cup holders. Plonk in a little CRDe diesel making about 80bhp, put in a serious heater and windshield defroster for us Himalayan wimps, disk brakes up front...my God, not only would I buy it, I would marry it!
Anybody know what the Indian laws are pertaining to marriage to inanimate objects?
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring my Ford GPW Jeep-abriefhistoryofthewillysjeep20.jpg  

Last edited by DirtyDan : 20th September 2020 at 16:22.
Old 21st September 2020, 12:41   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post

I have wondered what the ordeal would be today in India to produce such a vehicle, an upgraded version. Of course, it's not going to get passed the stalwart steadfast Indian CMVR (Central Motor Vehicle Rules)...those wonderful people whose job depends on saving you from yourself, or the insurance companies from paying out premiums, take your choice.

I would love to bop around in an upgraded WWII era Jeep. I could actually live without air bags, central door locking, doors themselves, ABS, cup holders. Plonk in a little CRDe diesel making about 80bhp, put in a serious heater and windshield defroster for us Himalayan wimps, disk brakes up front...my God, not only would I buy it, I would marry it!
Anybody know what the Indian laws are pertaining to marriage to inanimate objects?
I have always thought about it.What prevents the automobile companies from replicating this beauty.?

If you could marry one Jeep.Being a muslim, i am entitiled to marry four.

Waseem.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 12:57   #40
BHPian

Quote:
I have always thought about it.What prevents the automobile companies from replicating this beauty.?

If you could marry one Jeep.Being a muslim, i am entitiled to marry four.

Waseem.
I am sure its a demand vs supply equation. For all the love shown by handful of enthusiasts like us towards such timeless beauties, there are a million others who would not even test drive, sit or buy such vehicles which are functional, rugged, meant for a purpose and built to last.

I too wish if the W123 series and the Mitsubishi Pajero SFX is still made but wishes never come true.
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks