Team-BHP - What did I just buy? Need help with a Mahindra CJ340
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   What did I just buy? Need help with a Mahindra CJ340 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/216189-what-did-i-just-buy-need-help-mahindra-cj340.html)

I saw this interesting Mahindra on a local ad and took a look. I was very interested in purchasing a Roxor since they came into the US but the price is a little steep for me. I purchased this as an alternative. It is titled as a 1979 Mahindra "Jeep". It is in great shape with an indicated 2772 miles. The speedometer looks to be cut into he dash panel behind it so I'm not sure if it was replace. I think it is a CJ340 with the diesel engine. Is there an source for parts that anyone can direct me to? Is the speedometer correct? I know the wheels and letters on the grille is not factory and possibly the seats. Anything else not factory correct? I do not have much back ground information on it and how it got to the USA. I was told by the person I purchased it from that he bought it at a heavy equipment auction about years ago. Thank you ahead of time for your help. Scott

What did I just buy? Need help with a Mahindra CJ340-image000000-2.jpg

What did I just buy? Need help with a Mahindra CJ340-image000001-3.jpg

What did I just buy? Need help with a Mahindra CJ340-image000000-4.jpg

What did I just buy? Need help with a Mahindra CJ340-image000000-3.jpg

What did I just buy? Need help with a Mahindra CJ340-image000001-2.jpg

What did I just buy? Need help with a Mahindra CJ340-image000001-1.jpg

Wow! Incredible find , Topless with Bikini :)

Lots of parts from Roxor will fit this Jeep, not that it needs any!
Pasting an older post for some reference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM (Post 992726)
Dear all - let me clear all queries. The original vehicle was known as the CJ3B about which I am not writing here. It became CJ340DP when the Peugeot XDP4.90 engine and the 4 speed KMT90 transmission were dropped in it. In 1995, the CJ became the CL as the nomenclature CJ was owned by Chrysler and therefore M&M changed over from CJ to CL. The CJ/CL340 was made from 1993 upto 1997 when the CL340 classic was introduced. The basic difference between the CL340 and the CL340 classic is as follows:

Axle ratio - CL340 has 5.38:1 axle ratio whereas CL340 classic has 4.88:1 axle ratio. Transfer case actuating levers - the CL340 had the double lever actuating transfer case whereas the CL340 classic had the single lever actuating transfer case. Clutch actuation and brakes - the CL340 had floor mounted brake and clutch pedals whereas the CL340 classic had the suspended brake and clutch pedals. This is because the CL340 had all drum brakes whereas the CL340 classic had front disc brakes which require booster assistance for which the booseter has to be mounted on the dash panel for which the pedal has to be suspended to reach the booster. Obviously therefore, clutch becomes cable operated in the classic instead of link operated in the CL340. In the CL340, the handbrake is actuated on a drum fitted to the back of the transfer case, in the CL340 classic, it is actuated in the rear wheels. Instrument panel - the CL340 has a small centre console whereas the CL340 classic has the FRP instrument panel with around 12 telltale lights. Wheels and tyres - the CL340 was supplied with F78/15 tyres on steel wheels whereas the CL340 classic was supplied with P215/75R15 tyres on wire wheels supplied by wheels India and then on 5 spoke aluminium finish alloy wheels. Wheel arches - both vehicles had FRP wheelarches, the CL340 had bigger ones, the CL340 classic had smaller ones painted in body colour. Engine changes - the alternator did not have vacuum pump drive in the CL340 whereas it had a vacuum pump drive in the CL340 classic (for booster brakes). Seats - the CL340 had 118NE derived fixed backrest angle seats whereas the CL340 classic had high backrest variable backrest angle seats. Bull bar - the CL340 had the FJ (old FC) derived front bumper whereas the CL340 classic had the stainless steel bull bar. Radiator mosquito screen - the CL340 had it, the CL340 classic did not have it. Bonnet catches - the CL340 had 4 bonnet catches, the CL340 classic had only 2 in the front. Tobo hook - the CL340 did not have a tobo hook, the CL340 classic had a tobo hook (50 mm diameter sphere for pulling a trailer, mounted on the "K" member.

Why was the classic born? - the CL340 classic is a domestic version of the CL340RHD classic sold by M&M in England and other RHD countries like South Africa etc. It's LHD version was sold in France. Export vehicle was given in India also, the only difference was that European specification lights etc (E marked) were not given inthe domestic version. That's why.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

I am a former CJ340 owner, I had it 5 years. If you want to see my CJ340, just google CJ340 and the first link will be pointing to it. :) That has been the case since 2009.

Anyway, coming back to your question. What you have is a CJ500D, I am 80% sure of it. One can never be 100% sure since Mahindra put out too many variants of Jeep over the 70 years.

This Jeep is clearly having a long wheelbase than CJ340, which is only 2000mm. Another CJ500D on the forum can be seen here.

Also the Mahindra name on the bonnet is not original.

The original name was under the windshield I believe, and the M had a distinctive shape.

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybee (Post 4703592)
Also the Mahindra name on the bonnet is not original.

The original name was under the windshield I believe, and the M had a distinctive shape.

Excellent spot. I'll have to look up pictures of the marking below the windshield. In looking at another picture I see a faded area where the badge went. My Mahindra tractor has a badge like that. I bet I could source one here.

Pictured next to a modified JK Jeep with 37" tall tires. Pound for pound the Mahindra is a tougher jeep in my opinion.

What did I just buy? Need help with a Mahindra CJ340-image000000-7.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 4703591)
I am a former CJ340 owner, I had it 5 years. If you want to see my CJ340, just google CJ340 and the first link will be pointing to it. :) That has been the case since 2009.

Anyway, coming back to your question. What you have is a CJ500D, I am 80% sure of it. One can never be 100% sure since Mahindra put out too many variants of Jeep over the 70 years.

This Jeep is clearly having a long wheelbase than CJ340, which is only 2000mm. Another CJ500D on the forum can be seen here.

That is a very nice one Samurai. I had seen that one and lots of your post. I would kill for green or tan. Red will do. It matches my Mahindra tractor. The wheel base is 91 inches 231cm I believe. There is no data plate just a VIN number on the front frame horn right hand side before the front bumper. Any idea how this got to the states? LHD from France?

Nice Jeep, congrats! Hope you got it cheap.

It's a very tough, competent offroader that will bring you many smiles. Equally, don't use it on the freeway. Its behaviour at freeway speeds is terrible and there is no safety to speak of. Best to use in 4x4 mode and around your town / city at low speeds.

Like most old Jeeps, even yours has been customised. I see a lot of after-market add-ons. And yes, your wheelbase is certainly longer than the CJ340's. Here is my Jeep for reference (a Mahindra Classic, based on the CJ340):
What did I just buy? Need help with a Mahindra CJ340-pics-stratos-15.jpg

What did I just buy? Need help with a Mahindra CJ340-pics-stratos-2.jpg

What did I just buy? Need help with a Mahindra CJ340-pics-stratos-3.jpg

Mechanical parts are freely available here, but for cosmetics, a bit of hunting is required. I can't think of anyone who'd be willing to ship to the USA. You would probably need a friend in India who would send them to you for a $$$.

That is one very nice CJ340 you have there GTO. I love those headlight guards.

I have a question concerning the operation of the glow plugs. How long should the be "burned" before starting?

Quote:

Originally Posted by maroman556 (Post 4704552)
That is one very nice CJ340 you have there GTO. I love those headlight guards.

Thanks!

Quote:

I have a question concerning the operation of the glow plugs. How long should the be "burned" before starting?
My Jeep has the automatic timer which you should get too. After switching the ignition on, the glow plugs heat for about 4 seconds or so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4704599)
My Jeep has the automatic timer which you should get too. After switching the ignition on, the glow plugs heat for about 4 seconds or so.

Mine has a manual button. I have seen videos of the marine version of this motor where the operator burns the plugs for 20 seconds. This appears consistent with my experience. Does yours have glow plugs or a grid heater? What year model do you have GTO? I am sure Mahindra has updated this since '79.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maroman556 (Post 4703347)
I think it is a CJ340 with the diesel engine. Is there an source for parts that anyone can direct me to?

You could check at a Roxor dealer since the parent company is the same. Or try writing to the Mahindra office at India. Lastly try punching in your VIN number on boodmo.com for finding parts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maroman556 (Post 4704552)

About 5 to 15 seconds depending on the Ambient temperature outside.

Congratulations maroman. Let's hope you get more and more miles of happy driving. The jeep you have bought is not a CJ 340, but has the body shell of a CJ 4 A, post 1981. Your jeep has a Peugeot XDP / 2112 cc/ 65 bhp Peugeot diesel engine (the first generation that came to India with the Mahindra jeeps around 1981). The 540 DP was launched in 1985 and prior to that Mahindra offered the 540 DP engine option with the CJ 4 A bodyshell , alongwith its variant CJ 500 D, with the 2350 cc International diesel engine. The wipers were relocated from the top to the base of the windshield sometime in 1981. However, the ventilation vents below the aft side of the bonnet appear to be missing, that came with the changeover of the wiper location. The dash has components (warning lights) of a much later year from the 1990's. These came with the MM540 DP, Commander and the Marshal. The meters are not original at all. You can still get the black dialled, Pricol meters with yellow alphanumericals and marks, that came originally with these, if at all you're looking for originality. Also the "Mahindra" badge that came during that era are still available with mahindra dealers.

The steering wheel is also from a later age, I believe. The entire steering wheel view is not clear and hence I can't comment.

But it's intrguing to see an old Mahindra jeep on the other side of the Atlantic that has survived nearly four decades.

Quote:

Originally Posted by noelravin (Post 4704790)
You could check at a Roxor dealer since the parent company is the same. Or try writing to the Mahindra office at India. Lastly try punching in your VIN number on boodmo.com for finding parts.

About 5 to 15 seconds depending on the Ambient temperature outside.

+1. With my recent experience, most parts related to the engine, gearbox and brakes can be found on the boodmo site. Write an email to them and they would be willing to ship it to the US of A too, at a cost.
However, like GTO said, what is difficult to find are the cosmetic ones. And the ones like, wiper motor, wiper linkage, parking brake cable (if it actually has one :)) etc.

You can convert the manual heater button to an automatic one. You'll need a timer circuit and will have to hook it upto the second position on the key slot.

Good luck and happy motoring!