Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2020, 21:03   #1

Overlanding India in a Willys MB

Hello hello!

This is was my Willys MB just until a year ago. It was lovely -- looked like an old jeep, drove like an old jeep and felt like an old Jeep. It was a real charmer, and was also a daily driver. We didn't cut it any slack just because of the age. And it didn't seem to mind either as it happily lugged wood, fodder and pretty much anything around the farm in Kerala.

Overlanding India in a Willys MB-snapseed.jpg

But ever since I took it on a short tour of Munnar with my friend, I've wanted to take this old chap and drive across the country. I'd initially just wanted to make a simple drawer system at the back, pack a tent and camp out where ever possible. But then my father and I -- two equally silly people when it comes to travel, cars and travel in cars -- got sucked deep into the sinkhole of overlanding videos on Youtube. Before we knew it, my bank account was empty and we ended up with this.

Overlanding India in a Willys MB-snapseed-2.jpg

It's a DIY-ish overland conversion through which we carried forward the good things about it being an old Jeep -- lots of fresh air, ruggedness and go-anywhere capability. At the same time, we left behind some of the not-so-good things. We fixed the reliability issues by fitting a DI Turbo engine from a Bolero, which also took care of the lack of power. But no need to get all up in arms, purists. It was a restomod to begin with. It had an XD3P engine before this, which is why we could use this like a proper Jeep. The safety issues were tackled with disc brakes up front, better tyres, seat belts and a roll cage. It isn't what you'd call "safe" by modern standards, but like they say, "Safety third."

The gearbox is still the 4-speed KMT-90 unit we had earlier because I ran out of money, and I've heard that the 5-speed might not fit in a SWB Jeep. Please do correct me if I'm wrong, because a fifth gear is just the thing it needs for those long boring highways. That said, I still LOVE the amount of torque I get with this gearbox when I go offroad.

Overlanding India in a Willys MB-snapseed1.jpg

Aaaand, this is what it looks like when it's fully opened up. It's my little home-on-wheels. On the roof, is a clamshell roof-top tent which we designed and had built in our garage. When shut, the tent also serves as a pretty sturdy roof carrier. On one side of the tent is an awning, and on the other is a pressurisable 40-litre water tank for those jungle sh*ts, showers and shaves. The tent can perfectly hold two people that are 6ft tall or below, and has enough space to hold a foam mattress, blankets and pillows. I've also fitted an auxiliary inverter battery for a fan and 12V charging points. However, a 12V to 220V inverter is next on the list of things to buy.

Overlanding India in a Willys MB-img_1036.jpg

At the back is the drawer system which holds cooking utensils, cooking ingredients, an icebox and tools, while the space above the boxes is for luggage and a gas cylinder. It's not a lot of space, but it's enough for the two people that the Jeep can accommodate.

Overlanding India in a Willys MB-img_4892.jpg

So far, I've driven the Jeep from Kerala to Bombay via the costal road, and then from Bombay to Kutch and back within a span of one month, camping almost always. So far, so good!

Last edited by GTO : 31st January 2020 at 09:34. Reason: No sharing of insta handles here please
Richard_R is offline   (142) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 09:21   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Overlanding India in a Willys MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_R View Post
...I'd initially just wanted to make a simple drawer system at the back, pack a tent and camp out where ever possible. But then my father and I -- two equally silly people when it comes to travel, cars and travel in cars -- got sucked deep into the sinkhole of overlanding videos on Youtube. Before we knew it, my bank account was empty and we ended up with this.
Kudos. This is simply brilliant. The real fun of 4x4 is to travel to places far flung and then just be there till your heart desires and then move on to the next place. Such kind of overland vehicles /modifications are the next big thing in the offroad adventure space and nice to see folks here doing it. With sharing of information more people will take to it and learn from others. Thanks for sharing!!

Quote:
... It's my little home-on-wheels. On the roof, is a clamshell roof-top tent which we designed and had built in our garage. When shut, the tent also serves as a pretty sturdy roof carrier. On one side of the tent is an awning, and on the other is a pressurisable 40-litre water tank for those jungle sh*ts, showers and shaves. The tent can perfectly hold two people that are 6ft tall or below, and has enough space to hold a foam mattress, blankets and pillows. I've also fitted an auxiliary inverter battery for a fan and 12V charging points. However, a 12V to 220V inverter is next on the list of things to buy.
While I can make a a rough understanding of how this all adds up, would request you to share detailed pics (preferably in daylight) where we can see what is there and how it is packaged.

Q: On long distance travels, how do you take care of the safety of the stuff inside?

Quote:

At the back is the drawer system which holds cooking utensils, cooking ingredients, an icebox and tools, while the space above the boxes is for luggage and a gas cylinder. It's not a lot of space, but it's enough for the two people that the Jeep can accommodate.
Same, will need more pics to appreciate this beauty and the hard work you have put in.
khan_sultan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 09:51   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Before we knew it, my bank account was empty and we ended up with this.
Attachment 1961521
This is absolutely fantastic!
How do you get on top? Any provision for a ladder or something? Have you put it to use? Stayed in some jungle inside it overnight? Please do share more details (with lots of pics of course) about this, especially the tent build if possible.
RedTerrano is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 10:31   #4
Team-BHP Support

Wow, this is fantastic. I can't believe you have a family member crazy enough to join you in this. That too an elderly person.

Please do keep updating this thread during your travels.

Quote:
We fixed the reliability issues by fitting a DI Turbo engine from a Bolero, which also took care of the lack of power. But no need to get all up in arms, purists. It was a restomod to begin with.
The gearbox is still the 4-speed KMT-90 unit we had earlier because I ran out of money, and I've heard that the 5-speed might not fit in a SWB Jeep.
As someone who also had a DI (non-turbo) with KMT-90 engine, I gotta ask. What is your axle ratio? At first I had 4.88, and I could take 90 degree turns in 4th gear. Then I moved to 4.27 to get some sanity back. I hope you have 3.73, which would do fine in highway.
Samurai is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 11:12   #5
Team-BHP Support

Wonderful conversion indeed! I'm sure you've put in a lot of effort and money into this project. The end result is phenomenal. You have a proper off-roader which you can use as a home away from home.

I'm pretty sure the vehicle attracts attention everywhere you go. Have you had any cop trouble? I would love it if you could share some of the adventures you've had with this baby.
Aditya is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 11:14   #6
Team-BHP Support

Wow this is just awesome, we dream about doing overlanding in our luxury SUV's and then add camping gear to it. And you just did that and more on a short wheelbase CJ3B, absolutely brilliant!

I would love to hear and see more about the add on's you have on your 3B Overlander?

Which part of kerala are you from?
Jaggu is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 11:23   #7
BHPian

Wow. You Jeep looks amazing. Overlanding in such a vehicle would be great fun. How is the reliability ?

Keep us updated on your travels & do ping if you plan to come to Kolkata.

Cheers,

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 11:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

This is simply awesome. Great job on that conversion, the charm of old Willys is irresistible. I especially envy since we living in a city hell called Delhi NCR can't even imagine plonking money into such setups given how the stupid rules now are. Enjoy the old girl and keep sharing your explorations with rest of us.
Ace F355 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 11:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful! Kudos to the Spirit. Extremely romantic. Hope one has plans against the heat, the dust and the mosquitos!
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 15:09   #10
AVR
BHPian

This is such a refreshing thread to read through!
Kudos to you and your dad on pursuing this dream. Would love to see more pics of your travels and the mods you have done.

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 17:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I've heard that the 5-speed might not fit in a SWB Jeep. Please do correct me if I'm wrong, because a fifth gear is just the thing it needs for those long boring highways.
Awesome my friend. You are doing something which many of us dont even dream to do 'Overlanding India in a Jeep'
Kudos to you and your father.
You can not fit Mahindra 5 speed GB (BA10, NGT520/530) in a short chassis jeep. Isuzu 5 speed gearbox with 4FG2 is perfect combination to be used in jeeps for long distance driving.
Cheers!
Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 17:36   #12

Firstly, thanks everybody for the love and support. Unfortunately, I don't have any detailed pictures right now, but I will put them up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Q: On long distance travels, how do you take care of the safety of the stuff inside?
Well, I try not to park and leave my Jeep out of sight in empty or shady-looking areas. If I have to leave it and walk somewhere, I try to park it right in front of everyone, where there's enough attention from people to make sure that there's no one stealing anything. I've got half-doors have locks and top fabric/soft transparent plastic windows are zipped up everytime I park somewhere. Everything that can be easily snatched and put in bag is either with me or locked in the central and passenger-side glove boxes. And if I have to park and leave the Jeep somewhere for a couple of days (which I'd only do if I was sure the place was safe), I've cut some aluminium grilles that can be bolted on the doors, the sides and at the back. And after that, I can only cross my fingers and hope nothing gets stolen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
This is absolutely fantastic!
How do you get on top? Any provision for a ladder or something? Have you put it to use? Stayed in some jungle inside it overnight? Please do share more details (with lots of pics of course) about this, especially the tent build if possible.
If you see the image where everything is set up, you'll see some black metal plates cut and mounted on the bonnet. I've made a one-step ladder on one fender which I use to climb onto the black plates, and then just climb into the tent. Pictures will come soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Wow, this is fantastic. I can't believe you have a family member crazy enough to join you in this. That too an elderly person.

Please do keep updating this thread during your travels.

As someone who also had a DI (non-turbo) with KMT-90 engine, I gotta ask. What is your axle ratio? At first I had 4.88, and I could take 90 degree turns in 4th gear. Then I moved to 4.27 to get some sanity back. I hope you have 3.73, which would do fine in highway.
Haha well my dad can't travel in the Jeep with me, but he was just as passionate to get the Jeep ready because if he were my age and had the chance to do it, he would.

The axle ratio is 3.73 now, and so I'm able to cruise at around 80kmph on the highway. And this is quite the ideal speed. However, I do wish the engine felt a little less strained, and fifth gear would definitely help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

I'm pretty sure the vehicle attracts attention everywhere you go. Have you had any cop trouble? I would love it if you could share some of the adventures you've had with this baby.
It does attract a lot of attention. More than anything, the cops are first confused by what vehicle this is. Then they look at the tent and are especially suspicious of the rocket-launcher looking water tank. But the tent passes off as roof carrier (a really large one) to the untrained eye, and when I explain that I use the water tank while camping, they let me go. I've drove from Kerala to Bombay, and then to Kutch and back, and so far no issues. However, I am a little worried about having to deal with the cops in the NCR belt and around Chandigarh when I take it to the mountains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

I would love to hear and see more about the add on's you have on your 3B Overlander?

Which part of kerala are you from?
Thanks! More stories will come as I travel for sure.

I'm from around this town called Kothamangalam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Wow. You Jeep looks amazing. Overlanding in such a vehicle would be great fun. How is the reliability ?

Keep us updated on your travels & do ping if you plan to come to Kolkata.
Well, I've done over 3,500km after the mechanical overhaul, and so far so good!

I will definitely reach out when I get to Kolkata (eventually).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Wonderful! Kudos to the Spirit. Extremely romantic. Hope one has plans against the heat, the dust and the mosquitos!
Thank you! The plan is to just plan trips to the right place at the right time, and then endure the rest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
You can not fit Mahindra 5 speed GB (BA10, NGT520/530) in a short chassis jeep. Isuzu 5 speed gearbox with 4FG2 is perfect combination to be used in jeeps for long distance driving.
Cheers!
Shubhendra
Thanks for the info about the 5-speed! Wish it was easy to get one of those Saturn planetary overdrive units that people use in old Jeeps in the US.

The reason I went with the DI Turbo engine is that it's pretty tough (judging by how well the Boleros are doing in the commercial pick-up segment), reliable, parts are available across the country, and every mechanic in every part of the country will know how to fix it.

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th January 2020 at 18:19. Reason: Fixing a quote.
Richard_R is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 19:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the info about the 5-speed! Wish it was easy to get one of those Saturn planetary overdrive units that people use in old Jeeps in the US.
Saturn OD is compatible with T84 not with T90.
Shubhendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 11:46   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Hello hello!

So far, I've driven the Jeep from Kerala to Bombay via the costal road, and then from Bombay to Kutch and back within a span of one month, camping almost always. So far, so good!

Simply Superb! Most of us are dreaming as we see this thread. Your CJ3B looks awesome. Reminded me of my childhood days. I can imagine the amount of torque produced by 4X4 in offroad.

Last edited by GTO : 31st January 2020 at 09:34. Reason: Quoted post edited
sameerpb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 12:29   #15
BHPian

That Jeep conversion of yours is simply too good!.

Most people just do simple mods and restorations, but you have taken it one step further and made it into a proper overlander. Kudos to you and your father there.

I own an ex army MM550, have done a few mods myself, but never really had the time or the gumption to take it on long distance drives. Now your effort gives me an inspiration to go further.

Do share some more pictures of your ride at various locations and more details of the kit used inside.

Keep riding.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks