Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which one would you choose?
Soft-top 24 4.69%
Hard-top 353 68.95%
Convertible 135 26.37%
Voters: 512. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2020, 12:00   #16
BHPian

Re: 4x4 Offroaders like the Thar & Gurkha : Soft-Top vs Hard-Top vs Convertible

Voted for the hard top. I had test driven the old Thar about 2 years back and had outright rejected the idea primarily because of the soft top, which is prone to leaks during heavy rains. Surprisingly, even the sales advisor admitted to that.

For me, the benefits of the hard top (silent cabin, water proof, theft proof etc) far outweigh the fun of the soft top (as it is removable, although a cumbersome process).
anshu1101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 12:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

To me the Soft Top SUV has always been a bit pointless.The Soft tops on the Gypsy/ Thar are really not removable easily, and don't have any security either. If the vehicle in question is a weekend offroader or a second car, I would choose the convertible. The wind in the hair feeling would make the negatives of the soft top worth it. If it is a primary car, or used for long distance touring, I would choose the hard top any day.
JayD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 15:21   #18
Team-BHP Support

I chose the Hard Top:

If I buy a Thar, I am very clear I am buying it as a second car, which can do city duties of a second car, and can as and add on do as much offroading or rough touring as possible and make possible some interesting driving holiday options while at it. In doing this I am perhaps willing to live with all the compromises that come with its inherent Jeep nature but I do not want to bring additional compromises (of a soft top) that I can option out of (by picking hard top)

Ergo. I should be able to drive it with absolute peace of mind in the city with no fear of cargo, the maximum silence available on this product, the best air conditioning etc.

If it is ever imperative for me to use it as an open top, I will explore the option of removing the hard top but this is only if a fool proof solution is available and then too if it is worth it.

In Mumbai, we can barely drive with our windows down in a sedan if for no other reason then the fear that someone can actually pick up your valuables and run off. (Yes, this has actually happened to people I know).
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 15:21   #19
BHPian

My vote : Definitely not Hard Top If it has to be jeep, it has to open. PERIOD.

I am split between the Soft top & the Convertible.
Convertible does give a lot of flexibility and quickness in the removal as compared to the cumbersome soft top. That means I will be able to cover it daily at the end of the day to avoid lizards and pests falling at night But then i dont like the way it looks at the end of the car. Also at speed, dont know how it would remain in the folded state.

Need to check it out in person before making a decision. Till then it's soft top for me!

Last edited by 1.2TSI7DSG : 2nd September 2020 at 15:25.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 15:32   #20
BHPian

I will go with Hard top.

I cannot keep a THAR only for Off-Roading, the Road to the Off-Roading track matters too.

It was one of the main reasons why I rejected Thar 2 years ago. When they asked me for feedback, I gave them just three points 1.Hard top with front facing seats, 2.Better A/C & Audio, 3.A Thar which can run better even on highways. Now they have ticked all the boxes for me to consider 2020 Thar. I already had a word with the local dealer for a TD immediately once it's available. If it impresses me on the highway, I would definitely book one.
Old 2nd September 2020, 15:43   #21
BHPian

A Jeep for me will always be a recreational vehicle and not my daily drive and for that reason it must be a Soft-Top.

Sorry, no compromises with the adrenaline fix and the 'Jeep high' on my weekend and adventure trips. In fact, just the thought of a Manali-Rohtang-Leh trip on a Soft-Top is already giving me tingles. Additionally, when I think about my dogs, cousins, friends, barbeques, river crossings etc the only "sensible" option that comes to mind is the soft-top.

Last edited by Malhi : 2nd September 2020 at 15:44. Reason: Typo
Malhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 15:51   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, for me it depends on how I’m using the vehicle. If it’s strictly used as a toy, then convertible it is. However, I’d also love the practicality the hard top offers over long distances. But then I’m sure I won’t use a 4x4 (off-roader) for long distances. May be going for off-road events.

Umm.. well... I think it’s the soft top - meaning convertible for me. But damn, the New Hard Top Thar looks cool!

Last edited by dhanushs : 2nd September 2020 at 15:52.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 15:55   #23
BHPian

A mechanised soft top, nice and tight fitting, unlike the ill-fitting/sagging roof, would be the best bet, and if it's done at the factory level, nothing like it.

Just hoping against hope, for Thar 2.0 v2, to get it

Last edited by Vinod_nair : 2nd September 2020 at 15:59.
Old 2nd September 2020, 16:09   #24
Team-BHP Support

Definitely hard-top.

I'm not rich enough to keep multiple cars in the garage for different purposes and the soft-top and convertible options can't be used for most situations. If there was no hard-top option, I wouldn't be even interested in the new Thar.

Guys who can afford to keep the convertible version as a second or third car at home - and envy.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 16:36   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Which one would you choose?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye269 View Post
Q. Is the Thar 2.0 the most stunning vehicle ever from the Mahindra stable?
A. That was a rhetorical question!
Also, as far as I'm concerned, the LX Petrol AT Convertible in Rocky Beige is a no-brainer.
Why the convertible, you ask? Allow me to explain.

Romance

Firstly, the romance of a jeep (note the lowercase) essentially lies in it being driven with its top down. This applies equally to mud crawlers as it does to mall crawlers. I can't think of too many people who would be able to resist doing a double take when spotting a jeep in this configuration. The problem, however, lies in the climactic conditions and environmental factors that plague most of us in India - the heat can be debilitating, the rains punishing, and the pollution unbearable. The convertible makes it easier to adapt to conditions in a jiffy - by the roadside, even - while still enjoying the feel of open-top driving whenever feasible. On a related note, I still recall a conversation my Dad (also a car aficionado, but an extremely practical man) had with an acquaintance over 30 years ago:
Dad: Why haven't you thought of installing a hard top on your Gypsy?
Acquaintance: Then it wouldn't be a Gypsy, would it?
Dad & Acquaintance: [broad smiles]

4x4 Offroaders like the Thar & Gurkha : Soft-Top vs Hard-Top vs Convertible-thar-4x4.jpg
(images are not of the convertible model and are used for representational purposes only)

Heritage

Second, the convertible stays true to the Thar 2.0's heritage. If you trace its lineage back to the Willys MB / Ford GPW, you will find that this illustrious ancestor (which was the progenitor of all jeeps and "jeep-like" machines) was also a convertible:

The Original, with its top up...
4x4 Offroaders like the Thar & Gurkha : Soft-Top vs Hard-Top vs Convertible-willys-mb-canvas-top.jpg

... and with its top down (notice the naked bow resting on the rear of the vehicle; when driving in this configuration, the canvas was usually removed and stored under the front passenger seat)
4x4 Offroaders like the Thar & Gurkha : Soft-Top vs Hard-Top vs Convertible-willys-mb.jpg

Addressing the cons

It has rightly been pointed out that the canvas looks a little unsightly when the top of the convertible is down. But I feel this can be readily addressed by a pair of custom velcro straps / fasteners that can keep the roll in place (much like curtain straps). Besides, the rough and ready look on a jeep has its own charm.

I admit the noise factor can pose a challenge for some, but not particularly in the facts of my case. We are a two-person household, and I intend to buy the Thar 2.1 a year or so from now - after all the niggles have been sorted and a few extra features added - for my daily 20-minute commute in Mumbai. Meanwhile the better half will be chauffeur-driven to her workplace, 15 minutes in the opposite direction, in the Octavia 1.8TSi Zeal AT. Since the only other use for the vehicle would be the occasional off-roading trip, maybe once a month, I am more than happy to live with the additional noise during the sporadic highway run to Igatpuri or other nearby OTR destinations.

So there you have it... the droptop is the one for me, no question!!

Last edited by Hawkeye269 : 2nd September 2020 at 16:44. Reason: Changed description above third image from "stored under the passenger seat" to "stored under the front passenger seat"
Hawkeye269 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 19:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Can't believe a bunch of us are discussing a decision-of-the-heart purchase's pros and cons when it comes to the roof.

My heart says open jeep, and Mahindra has given a convertible soft-top. Settled!

If you are seriously doing a pros/ cons list when it comes to the Thar, it probably is not the stead for you
ph03n!x is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 19:29   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2himanshu View Post
Agree that the hardtop looks good and will be comfortable, but I am inclined to find some way to easily find a way to quickly latch-unlatch the hardtop like the front buckles of convertible. It may be modular combination of 2-5 pieces. That way the front and/or rear can be modular and independently removable. And stow a soft top for unplanned weather when the hardtop is left back.

Maybe some workshop or hardtop manufacturer will surely do it.

Have not voted yet
Finally voted for convertible
Old 2nd September 2020, 20:15   #28
BHPian

Not sure what to vote for. Looking for an option "Couldn't decide".

Wishlist - Hardtop with a provision of opening just the top (2 piece or even better, with clamp-on sides!), like some of those Gen 1 Thar's after market hardtops.
Old 2nd September 2020, 20:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

For Looks and swag - Soft top
For Utility and Family - Hard top

No more discussion, topic ends here only.

Conertible will be great option to have, but not manual. Automatic, electrical convertible is desirable.
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 21:34   #30
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
For Looks and swag - Soft top
For Utility and Family - Hard top

No more discussion, topic ends here only.

Convertible will be great option to have, but not manual. Automatic, electrical convertible is desirable.
Agree with every word, the soft top convertible looks baller. Heading out of the city with that top down for some scenic driving is definitely tempting, minus the safety concerns obviously
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks