Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2023, 11:35   #31
BHPian

Re: My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
There is a slight difference between the Wrangler Unlimited and the Rubicon in their 4WD capabilities. Any insights on this ?
Wrangler Unlimited called Sahara elsewhere, is more road oriented, including the speed it can do. Sahara can do 112mph, while Rubicon can do 97 mph only (97 MPH VEHICLE MAX SPEED CALIBRATION, this information is from my VIN) .
Sahara does not have front and rear diff locker and the crawling ratio are different too.Sahara comes with more comfortable side steps while the Rubicon with rock slider. Rubicon also has beefed up suspension and well as 1.5 inch lift with same diff front and back, this is different on Sahara. Rim sizes are different too, 17in Rubicon to 18in in Sahara. Hope this helps.

-Pramod

Last edited by pramods : 6th January 2023 at 11:37.
pramods is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 15:11   #32
AVR
BHPian

Great to read your experience PramodS

Bought a Sarge Green Rubicon in June with 6k odo and am loving it so far. At the showroom while taking delivery, I promised myself no mods but since then bumpers, winch, skid plate, snorkel and 33 MTs have somehow shown up on the Jeep.

I think as a 250Bhp+ engine, it's not only extremely capable off-road but a lot of fun to drive on highways.

I've mostly taken it offroad on Rocky terrain and it is a delight!

Looking forward to updates on your ownership!

Here's a pic with its predecessor in my garage!

My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-whatsapp-image-20230106-15.00.45.jpeg
AVR is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 16:44   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
At the showroom while taking delivery, I promised myself no mods but since then bumpers, winch, skid plate, snorkel and 33 MTs have somehow shown up on the Jeep.
Nice to see your Rubicon and more so steel bumper (with front park sensor) and winch . Would you please let me know from where and how much for bumper and winch? I am very interested in getting these 2.

-Pramod

Last edited by pramods : 6th January 2023 at 16:46.
pramods is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 18:51   #34
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
Nice to see your Rubicon and more so steel bumper (with front park sensor) and winch . Would you please let me know from where and how much for bumper and winch? I am very interested in getting these 2.

-Pramod
Look up AMX 4x4 from Baroda. They currently have stock. Another green Rubi a friend picked up is going through these mods as we speak.
Cheers
Adi
AVR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 18:57   #35
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Bought a Sarge Green Rubicon in June with 6k odo and am loving it so far. !
Here's a pic with its predecessor in my garage!
/ATTACH]
What a superb colour that Sarge Green is!
Lovely indeed to see so many Jeep Wrangler’s popping up on the forum.
What a vehicle it is!
And a Brand!
There is only one original, thats absolutely for sure.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 14:49   #36
BHPian

Rubicon is looking refreshed after ceramic coating!
My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-8274287180e14feea9ffdb9af9c665ce.jpeg

Also fitted the hood lock, riveting was a big pain. Nonetheless, it looks good as works as expected.

My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-cdf03e8539184280982ee3064108cdd4.jpeg

Front grill mesh with lock cutout looks good.

My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-b383eb4a4bee4732af6268d08fe980c5.jpeg

I also installed wheel locking nuts on all wheels, have to replace the factory installed spare tire locking lug nut.

-Pramod
pramods is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 12:03   #37
BHPian

Have been to couple of more offroading session, the more I do, the more it feels like I am not able to use the full capabilities.
I feel the Rubicon is quite capable in stock form and may not need any modification what so ever for my type of offroading fun.

Couple of snaps from today's early morning offroading.
My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-20230126_115348.jpg

This is where I wanted to go, you can see the Jeep at the top of the hill as I walk, check and chalk out a plan to reach down hill into nalla bed.
My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-20230126_115402.jpg

I went way beyond this point, it was a dry nalla deep in an isolated jungle area.

I now need to create time and take Jeep out to some more places!

-Pramod

Last edited by Aditya : 26th January 2023 at 16:11. Reason: Attachments fixed
pramods is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 12:58   #38
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Have been to couple of more offroading session, the more I do, the more it feels like I am not able to use the full capabilities.
I feel the Rubicon is quite capable in stock form and may not need any modification what so ever for my type of offroading fun.
You are right. Few things I still recommend:
1) Front bumper given the oddly long overhang of the stock bumper. Also rear bumper if you are at it.
2) Winch and snorkel - preventive and always good to have
3) Stock tires while great can be upgraded to 285/70R17 which is the stock Rubicon size in the US. Not sure why smaller size was provided in India. Not a show stopper though.

On suspension setup, crawl, gearing and capabilities, I agree it is extremely capable especially on rock crawls. Did a fair amount in Jawai (Rajasthan) and was blown by the no-drama manner in which it crawled through everything I attempted.

Cheers
Adi
AVR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 13:42   #39
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
I now need to create time and take Jeep out to some more places!

-Pramod
Lovely to see you enjoying the Wrangler.
My suggestion is please take one more companion with you in a Thar or Gypsy or similar. Then either of you can play the role of help/ recovery vehicle as may be required, in case of need.
The Golden rule is to go off road with a companion vehicle, never alone and never past the point of no return (which is the % point in your Fuel Tank which ensures you can get back to the nearest point of civilisation (petrol pump)). And carry plenty of water, bananas and energy bars. Maybe an extra can of fuel.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 17:19   #40
BHPian

Quote:
You are right. Few things I still recommend:
1) Front bumper given the oddly long overhang of the stock bumper. Also rear bumper if you are at it.
2) Winch and snorkel - preventive and always good to have
3) ..

Adi
I agree, winch would be very valuable, it would definitely helps when you are all alone and stuck. The challenge is, the front bumper and skid plate have to be changed to install winch.
The reference that you gave, have both front bumper as well as winch, I am surprised and also worried of what they have quoted for both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The Golden rule is to go off road with a companion vehicle, never alone and never past the point of no return...
Yes, you need to have someone or ability to get help if you get stuck. But, there is also some fun in doing it all alone too

-Pramod
Old 14th February 2023, 12:33   #41
BHPian

A DIY update on my Rubicon. I was able to install both the front tow hook on the factory front bumper. Factory Mopar tow hook and associated precise bumper cut inside and outside is what it took. Overall I spent 5 hours fixing and aligning it right; this is a factory tow hook with proper factory attachment and both to take the rated load.

My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-20230207_160340.jpg

Some day will paint it Red as in all Rubicon.

-Pramod
PS: https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/lo...0-50c07bb21d4e saw this news item and video of Jeeper helping semi stuck in snow in Dallas, US

Last edited by pramods : 14th February 2023 at 12:44.
pramods is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 19:58   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinu View Post
Congratulations Pramod. You will really enjoy it.

You have company here on the forum. I got my Wrangler Unlimited in Aug 2021. It has been sheer pleasure to drive it in the last 15 months.

Vinu

Attachment 2400101
Hi Vinu,

To begin with, Congratulations to all 3 of you in this thread whose heart has managed to drive past various pushbacks justifying why not to indulge with this beasty beauty!

Same as many more, I too am toying with the urge to shift from Thar convertible to Wrangler Unlimited. My use is more with jungles and wild for photography while on long rural trips.

Would appreciate your inputs considering your experience with the white beauty till now. Cabin noise on highway, Aircon effectiveness during peak summers etc

Cheers & Smiles…
Old 20th March 2023, 12:51   #43
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alokmj View Post
Hi Vinu,

To begin with, Congratulations to all 3 of you in this thread whose heart has managed to drive past various pushbacks justifying why not to indulge with this beasty beauty!

Same as many more, I too am toying with the urge to shift from Thar convertible to Wrangler Unlimited. My use is more with jungles and wild for photography while on long rural trips.

Would appreciate your inputs considering your experience with the white beauty till now. Cabin noise on highway, Aircon effectiveness during peak summers etc

Cheers & Smiles…
If you can think of the Unlimited then might as well go with the Rubicon instead. No reason to let go of a factory ready vehicle for a few lakhs (7-8% more)
Old 20th March 2023, 20:20   #44

Quote:
If you can think of the Unlimited then might as well go with the Rubicon instead. No reason to let go of a factory ready vehicle for a few lakhs (7-8% more)
Thanx and I do agree to your point. However, my question towards the cabin noise levels and aircon effectiveness of Unlimited was driven more with my anticipated use of Wrangler. I don't intend going in for hardcore off-roading which a Rubicon is designed / meant for. I assume that MT Tyers would be very noisy on normal tar. My intent is more towards wilderness, photography without getting out of the vehicle...

I do understand that the MT can be replaced with AT wheels but wouldn't that be a waste? Well, I may be wrong, I accept!
Old 21st March 2023, 16:08   #45
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alokmj View Post
Thanx and I do agree to your point. However, my question towards the cabin noise levels and aircon effectiveness of Unlimited was driven more with my anticipated use of Wrangler. I don't intend going in for hardcore off-roading which a Rubicon is designed / meant for. I assume that MT Tyers would be very noisy on normal tar. My intent is more towards wilderness, photography without getting out of the vehicle...

I do understand that the MT can be replaced with AT wheels but wouldn't that be a waste? Well, I may be wrong, I accept!
With your outdoor interests, a Rubicon would be a better option. It's not for hardcore off-roading alone. I use it for my daily office commute too! Noise is honestly ok for me but I come from a DCM 14B Open 540 and Straight-pipe Thar Crde life so most things are less noisy

The better low ratio, locking diffs, sway disconnect and minor lift in the Rubicon definitely justify the 4-5L difference to the Unlimited.
Am not sure if the retractable doors and front passenger rooftops are removable in the Unlimited. They might come in handy for photography too.

Cheers
Adi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks