Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2024, 10:31   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Project Maximus - A Decade old Jeep Story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp-obsessed View Post
Amazing journey and post. This reminded me of the "Ship of Theseus" thought experiment - if all parts of the Jeep has been changed, it is still the same Jeep?
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
One could even say its the Jeep of Theseus
Haha.. I wanted to put this in the thread, but didnt.. Ship Of Theseus remains the same after changing each of its part, but here everything is gone out and replaced by something better. But yes, the way it has happened is exactly like the "Ship of Theseus"
Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
@OP that’s quite the mud plugger you’ve built, congrats !! Btw, am I seeing things or is there slight negative camber on your front wheels ?
Even I feel there is a slight camber, but the axle is new and the knuckles are new and the Jeep behaves the way it is behaving. Next time, I'll probably use the computrised alignment machines and get a value on it.

Last edited by dhanushs : 1st April 2024 at 10:34.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 11:38   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

As a lover of Jeeps, I have always admired your beast, its capability and your love for it. This is indisputably one of the best 4x4 builds I have ever seen. As a special gesture, your Jeep was no.1 on our homepage yesterday (hot threads & the main shuffling banner), and is no.1 today too (on the shuffling banner) .

In true Team-BHP style, how about an equal, detailed list of What You Like & What You Don't?

Many thanks for the read and pictures. Even just parked at home, Maximus is a piece of art .

Last edited by GTO : 1st April 2024 at 11:41.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 12:12   #18
BHPian

Vow, what a write up. I don't think i have ever come across an article detailing such an extensive modification. Just out of curiosity, out of the initial jeep that you started with is there any part still left in the new avatar. In Kerala any small modification will result in hefty fine from the MVA, did you encounter any such trouble. Thank you for sharing. Keep on munching miles.
Kkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 13:03   #19
BHPian

That is a lovely looking jeep!! Is it road legal?
DasAuto1985 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 16:02   #20
BHPian

An inspiring tale of an MM540 and Dhanush himself.

I was fortunate enough to get a glance of Maximus across most stages in the pic, and I feel you have given it the best in the current shape. I always felt that the colour blue is the spine of its identity and happy that you retained it in its newest avatar as well

Keep revving
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 16:47   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Project Maximus: Journey of an innocuous jeep to an Off-roading monster. I think you should change the title
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 22:47   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As a lover of Jeeps, I have always admired your beast, its capability and your love for it. This is indisputably one of the best 4x4 builds I have ever seen. As a special gesture, your Jeep was no.1 on our homepage yesterday (hot threads & the main shuffling banner), and is no.1 today too (on the shuffling banner) . .
Thanks for this GTO! Appreciate it.

Quote:
In true Team-BHP style, how about an equal, detailed list of What You Like & What You Don't?
Well.. It's something I built filtering out the dislikes, so will mostly be likes, but let me try..

What I like:
  • To start with the looks. Love this curved CJ7 shape, hence didnt go for the older CJ500 Shape.
  • Next is Defintiely the engine. Unlike the ones you get nowadays, the oodles of low end torque is just to die for.
  • Again, the throttle response of the engine. Crisp, and instant!
  • The Gearbox and Transfercase is indestructible!
  • The simplicity. Anything is wrong, I can sense it immediatly.
  • Easily fixable. Off-Roading will damage things, I have ensured that even if damaged, parts are easily available and fixable.
  • The Jeep itself, I've tried to keep it simple and indestructable. The bare minimum required for max performance.
  • The fact that this one absolutely kills off-road!

What I dont like:
  • Well, the huge tyres.. I'd have ideally liked it slightly smaller for looks and better handling. But, again, for more technical obstacles, most of the time, the bigger the better.
  • The Gearbox and Transfercase. I like Slick shifts like the Gypsy. This ones cluncky and whines like a granny.
  • The Handling. Even though it's extremely well behaved for this height. Probably one of th best in business, I'd have liked if it was slightly lower.
  • Absolute lack of security. Everything is open.
  • The fact that law doesnt allow me to drive this on-road!

Well, this is it for now.. Let me may be give it more thought and I'll request you to add it to the main thread.

Quote:
Many thanks for the read and pictures. Even just parked at home, Maximus is a piece of art .
Again.. Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasAuto1985 View Post
That is a lovely looking jeep!! Is it road legal?
Thanks. I dont drive it on road anymore. Wherever I do, I flatbed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkumar View Post
.. Just out of curiosity, out of the initial jeep that you started with is there any part still left in the new avatar.
I think thats how the Ship of Thesaus came in the picture in the last few posts.
Quote:
In Kerala any small modification will result in hefty fine from the MVA, did you encounter any such trouble. Thank you for sharing. Keep on munching miles.
I have conciously chosen not to drive this on public roads. If I have to transport it, I do it on a flatbed.
dhanushs is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks