Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2007, 17:42   #31
Senior - BHPian

The Camper comes with the 4speed KMT90 gearbox & Dana18 Transfer case.
Old 20th November 2007, 20:33   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Hi arka,

Thanks for the figures. I have my own doubts on few-

1. Boleros front over hang is lesser than rear, hence the approach angle must be higher inst it?
Its not just the overhang that influences the angles. Its how low the parts are hanging on the vehicle.

Other things you might want to check are ramp breakover angle, crawl ratio, WB etc for off road capability.
Old 20th November 2007, 20:37   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I drove a brand new four wheel drive Bolero just last week in Chandigarh. I had not gone 100 meters with it before I decided against it. It had absolutely no power, no pickup from a standing start.

I am also toying with the idea of buying a 4x4 Scorpio and modifying it more for off road. The possibility of damage to the 'multi-link' torsioned rear end has me concerned.
How about a full test report on the Bolero...keeping in mind that its in the top 10 best sellers this year beating out Sumo and Scorpio.

As far as the Scorpio suspension, you can check out the Gen1 Scorpio which had a leaf spring rear.
Old 21st November 2007, 20:05   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I drove a brand new four wheel drive Bolero just last week in Chandigarh. It comes with the XD3PU engine, no other engine possible with 4x4 they told me. I had not gone 100 meters with it before I decided against it. It had absolutely no power, no pickup from a standing start. So much so that I feared pulling into traffic on a busy road. The handling as mentioned earlier is vague, no feedback thru the wheel. I am going MM550 hunting (I believe who ever told you that it is called 'CL' is mistaken) and I am going to try to find a Maruti Gypsy to test drive. Also, Bolero has a relatively long wheel base for its size. This may help the ride but it will not help it escape getting hung up on rocks and ridges on rough terrain. THe Bolero does not get my vote.
I dearly wish Force would regain its sanity and sell Gurkha/Judo in India. But since that will not happen I am also toying with the idea of buying a 4x4 Scorpio and modifying it more for off road. The possibility of damage to the 'multi-link' torsioned rear end has me concerned.

hi,
Is the pick up of bolero 4wd so horrible? Is it bad in comparison to a 2wd variant? or were u driving a wrong example? Bolero was never a street burner, it had just sufficient pick up for but good torque to climb steep hills and pull loads of luggage. It would not be wise to compare it with faster vehicles like scorpio/ new safari dicor or a gypsy for that matter. compare it with sumos or gamas at the best.
please give us a complte test report, take it for a longer drive , test top speed etc.

regards,
vinod

Last edited by benbsb29 : 15th April 2012 at 11:47. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 21st November 2007, 20:12   #35
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Hi,

I am a newbie to this forum and would like to buy a Mahindra Legend. Do you have any contacts to help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
Mahindra legend is not available anymore. I( had a word with a Mahindra guy and he told me after enquring in head office that it is not available. Only few examples were made and is not in regular production in the form of legend and neither is it made to order. Sad....

vinod.N
Chennai
Old 23rd December 2007, 20:36   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
1) better feel on & off-road
2) Better developed Shoulders, Arms and Neck
Yeah one look at Arka..and one realises why he is HUGE!!

BTW, Jeeps do not require power steering as the feedback is non linear.. A GOOD SUSPENSION setup and lubricating the correct joints will make the normal steering smoother than power steering..

with correct tyre pressures ofcourse!
Old 23rd December 2007, 20:37   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
try driving a 215/75 R15 on a tar road and you will know the difference. Boleros without P/s and wide tyre configuration are very hard to manage in the city no matter how big biceps/ arms you have!

vinod
My CJ3B had 235/70 R16 and it did not feel uncomfortable..if It is maintained once in 10 days!!
Old 29th April 2008, 10:34   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

If anyone knows of a used Bolero Camper 4x4 for sale in Kerala/Tamil Nadu/Karnataka with private registration (White license plates), please let me know. My dad wants to replace his Tatamobile 207.
Old 30th March 2009, 11:03   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
One more question on the bolero camper to the experts on this forum. The Mahindra website says that the four wheel drive camper comes with the four speed gearbox as opposed to 5 speed. Is this correct?
yes you are dead right. they jus do not understand that they have to provide 5 spped for better driveability, and comfort. are they incompetent so that they cant integrate the two?
Old 30th March 2009, 11:06   #40
BHPian

[quote=vinod_nookala;633935][quote=DirtyDan;622365]I drove a brand new four wheel drive Bolero just last week in Chandigarh. It comes with the XD3PU engine, no other engine possible with 4x4 they told me. I had not gone 100 meters with it before I decided against it. It had absolutely no power, no pickup from a standing start. So much so that I feared pulling into traffic on a busy road. The handling as mentioned earlier is vague, no feedback thru the wheel. I am going MM550 hunting (I believe who ever told you that it is called 'CL' is mistaken) and I am going to try to find a Maruti Gypsy to test drive. Also, Bolero has a relatively long wheel base for its size. This may help the ride but it will not help it escape getting hung up on rocks and ridges on rough terrain. THe Bolero does not get my vote.
I dearly wish Force would regain its sanity and sell Gurkha/Judo in India. But since that will not happen I am also toying with the idea of buying a 4x4 Scorpio and modifying it more for off road. The possibility of damage to the 'multi-link' torsioned rear end has me concerned.

vinod bhai, the bolero is never going to win any traffic light GP, but do not underestimate its torque, i have a Bolero XDp 4wd, with shift on fly, and man its offroading ability is as good as my MM550 XDP 4wd, plus i get AC and Powersteering too.
Old 15th April 2012, 10:48   #41
BHPian

Re: Off road specifications of bolero 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
vinod bhai, the bolero is never going to win any traffic light GP, but do not underestimate its torque, i have a Bolero XDp 4wd, with shift on fly, and man its offroading ability is as good as my MM550 XDP 4wd, plus i get AC and Powersteering too.
Hi there, its been ages since this thread was updated, hope i get a reply. my question is when did bolero 4wd's start coming with the XDP engine? which year? I have seen a few pre 2005 boleros in sikkim with 4wd and talking to a driver of my uncles from sikkim, he tells me I can get one is ok state for around 3 lacs. I just wanted to know what engines the older 4wd boleros had and is it recommended to buy one?

Last edited by benbsb29 : 15th April 2012 at 11:48. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 15th April 2012, 19:44   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
Hi there, its been ages since this thread was updated, hope i get a reply. my question is when did bolero 4wd's start coming with the XDP engine? which year? I have seen a few pre 2005 boleros in sikkim with 4wd and talking to a driver of my uncles from sikkim, he tells me I can get one is ok state for around 3 lacs. I just wanted to know what engines the older 4wd boleros had and is it recommended to buy one?
AFAIK the bolero was introduced with DX3p only.

even the di option for 4x4 bolero was introduced couple of years back.
jeepster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 22:30   #43
BHPian

Quote:
hi,
Does any one have an idea about the off road figures below?

1. Axle articultion (RTI figures)?
2. Approach & departure angles?
3. Fording depth?
4. Can i change the length of shakle pins for eg replacing the shakles of 4wd bolero rear with 2wd bolero for better suspension travel? (2wd bolero has longer shakel pin than 4wd rear)
5. Replace the short shakels of bolero front with that of longer ones of 4wd MM550 XDB army?
6. Lean angle?
7. Max gradability?

Planning to buy one please help....

REgards,
N.Vinod
Chennai
A 5 year old thread. Ironically, the man who originally put this post has joined MM.
Vinod if you have found your answers can you let us know when the new Bolero 4x4 will be available ?
RAINMAKER is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2012, 23:27   #44
Senior - BHPian

Vinod at the Gurgaon Great Escape event last year where we met I saw a Bolero owned by Raj Kapoor of Northern Motorsports converted to 4WD with a manual shift lever. Any idea how this was done ? Perhaps it was an older Bolero with fixed front axle.
Old 21st April 2012, 15:34   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINMAKER View Post
A 5 year old thread. Ironically, the man who originally put this post has joined MM.
Vinod if you have found your answers can you let us know when the new Bolero 4x4 will be available ?
3-4 years time takes people places/life changes and this thread is a perfect example.There were perceptions then, now I am lot more clear about choice of vehicles.Many of the questions which i posed, I still don't have answers. But one thing is clear, Bolero 4x4 is one of the most robust vehicles one can have. Bare basic utility 4 wd at its best.Unfortunately top end version of 4x4 SLX has been laid to rest but Bolero Di 4x4 is available (but with long waiting period). Newer Bolero 4wd is some time away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Vinod at the Gurgaon Great Escape event last year where we met I saw a Bolero owned by Raj Kapoor of Northern Motorsports converted to 4WD with a manual shift lever. Any idea how this was done ? Perhaps it was an older Bolero with fixed front axle.
This was our Bolero (notdone by Raj Kapoor). We had BoleroDi 4x4 long with following modifications-

1. 4.88 axle ratio
2. power steering
3.Hankook 31 inch dyna pro MT tyres
4. Warn winch
5. Beefed up suspension
6.Body lift
7.Snorkel
8. A/C (yet to fit)
9. pin tail hook

This bolero is quite fast on highways and has sufficient grunt off road as well. For an individual such modifications on a new Bolero would take it to Scorpio category.However if one is clear what he wants then Bolero is a good platform to invest in. It is the LC 70 equivalent for Mahindra.

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 21st April 2012 at 15:36.
vinod_nookala is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks