Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2012, 17:09   #46
vak
BHPian

Re: Off road specifications of bolero 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
3-4 years time takes people places/life changes and this thread is a perfect example.There were perceptions then, now I am lot more clear about choice of vehicles.Many of the questions which i posed, I still don't have answers. But one thing is clear, Bolero 4x4 is one of the most robust vehicles one can have. Bare basic utility 4 wd at its best.Unfortunately top end version of 4x4 SLX has been laid to rest but Bolero Di 4x4 is available (but with long waiting period). Newer Bolero 4wd is some time away.

This was our Bolero (notdone by Raj Kapoor). We had BoleroDi 4x4 long with following modifications-

1. 4.88 axle ratio
2. power steering
3.Hankook 31 inch dyna pro MT tyres
4. Warn winch
5. Beefed up suspension
6.Body lift
7.Snorkel
8. A/C (yet to fit)
9. pin tail hook

This bolero is quite fast on highways and has sufficient grunt off road as well. For an individual such modifications on a new Bolero would take it to Scorpio category.However if one is clear what he wants then Bolero is a good platform to invest in. It is the LC 70 equivalent for Mahindra.
What was the cost of power steering fitment on your Bolero? Is it possible to source atleast the Rane Steering box from the vendor directly? than through mahindra?
Old 22nd April 2012, 08:58   #47
Senior - BHPian

So was it converted from a 2WD to 4 WD, and which one is it an older Bolero with fixed front axle ? I know if i convert my Bolero SLX 2008 to 4WD it would be off roading in A/C comfort, Power steering is already there. It has a DI Engine which is very good.
Yesterday I drove my MM550 at 100 kmph on Gurgaon expressway and the vehicle was screaming for an overdive .79 : 1 Fifth gear, the Bolero gearbox has an overdirve, can this be installed in an MM550 ?
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 18:09   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
3-4 years time takes people places/life changes and this thread is a perfect example.There were perceptions then, now I am lot more clear about choice of vehicles.Many of the questions which i posed, I still don't have answers. But one thing is clear, Bolero 4x4 is one of the most robust vehicles one can have. Bare basic utility 4 wd at its best.Unfortunately top end version of 4x4 SLX has been laid to rest but Bolero Di 4x4 is available (but with long waiting period). Newer Bolero 4wd is some time away.
Hi V_N sir,
Could you please repost your original set of questions along with the answers? It will be really great, just like a time capsule.

Also,
1. Which one is better amongst LX 4x4 & Di 4x4?
2. Why different chassis & wheel base for DI & other boleros?
3. Any possibility of offering LX 4x4 to general customers?

TIA..
offroad_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2012, 12:47   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
I saw a Bolero owned by Raj Kapoor of Northern Motorsports converted to 4WD with a manual shift lever. Any idea how this was done ?
All DI Bolero's with 4WD comes with the manual shift T18 Transfer case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vak View Post
What was the cost of power steering fitment on your Bolero? Is it possible to source atleast the Rane Steering box from the vendor directly? than through mahindra?
Rane power steering can be sourced directly from Rane Dealer/distributor. Costs about 22K for the box. Other aggregates can be bought from the dealer/Mahindra OEM parts dealer.
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:41   #50
Senior - BHPian

This was a converted vehicle. Not sure which engine it had XDP3U or MDI3200.
Old 30th May 2012, 11:19   #51
BHPian

guys,
can the Bilstein shocks be installed on Bolero 4wd.
Will offroading have an impact on the Bilsteins
Old 30th May 2012, 13:20   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
Will offroading have an impact on the Bilsteins
They can be if you get the correct size. I had Bilstien's on my jeep and have had no problems off/on road.
Old 28th February 2013, 10:03   #53

Re: Of BOLEROS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
1. Boleros front over hang is lesser than rear, hence the approach angle must be higher inst it? - You could be right, these are my guess-timates but the newer i.e facelited Bolero has a lesser Approach Angle than the older Bolero.

2. Carefully observe the shakel lengths of a MM550 XDB ARMY and a that of a regular bolero. Boleros have shorter shakels front & rear. - Again you maybe right, it could be an optical illusion as the MM550XDs Stand Taller and the Boleros are much Lower, If you give me figures, it will give it to you.

3. ALso the length of the rear leaf is different between a 4wd bolero & 2wd bolero. 2wd has longer leaf and so is the shakel length. Why different lengths? - The M&M Parts List says there is no difference between the Rear Leaf Springs on the 2WD Bolero or a 4WD Bolero.

4. Also fording depth of 500-600mm is as much as that of a defender! check the site- Land Rover - Welcome to Land Rover . Is Bolero that capable? - Why Not - I can even show you a video of a Bolero Camper fording water Head Light Deep.

5. Any guess why is that there is such huge front & rear track difference between front & rear axles, almost up to 90mm? Generally we see a difference of not more than 5 mm in other automobiles. - I have no idea of the figure, but That is to improve stability and cornering.

6. Lastly i had enquired if bolero DI with a/c & p/s was available with 4wd? Mahindras answer was NO!!! - The E-Brochure mentions it, Show the brochure to them.

Only SLX is available with 4wd and with Peugeot 2.5 IDI engine. They say peugeot engine is better suited for offroad power demand due to wider spread of torque & power. What does your experience say?

Lets See

XD3P - 73 Bhp, Peak Torque 15.5Kgm@ 2000 Rpm - 4000Rpm - Usable Range 2000 rpm

MDI3200TC - 68BHP, Peak Torque 18Kgm @ 15-1800Rpm - 3300Rpm - Usable range 13-1500Rpm, there is a loss of 5-700 Rpm.

Hypothetically the MDI3200TC will generate 15kgm around 12-1500 Rpm (Which is enough to get a Bolero with XD3P moving) there again if we re-calculate for 15Kgm for a MDI3200TC then the RPM range is 12-1500 to 3300 i.e 2100Rpm to 1800Rpm

Then again the Diff-Ratios will vary

Diff-Ratio XD3P= 4.88:1
Diff-Ratio MDI3200TC = 3.73:1

I have driven 4WD Bolero Camper with MDI3200TC and a 4WD Bolero with XD3P.
The Camper with MDI3200TC has much more torque and it moves better and climbs better off-road.

Regards,

Arka
Arka, is it possible to change the Diff Ratio of my Bolero DI 4x4 from the 3.73:1 to 4.88:1 by using the Bolero Camper differential gearing (matching both front and rear). Reason is, I want to upsize my tyres for better GC while maintaining original performance and not compromise on low end grunt that usually comes with tyre upsizing.

Also, does ARB make air lockers for Bolero differential?
vivekgm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2013, 12:11   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgm

Arka, is it possible to change the Diff Ratio of my Bolero DI 4x4 from the 3.73:1 to 4.88:1 by using the Bolero Camper differential gearing (matching both front and rear). Reason is, I want to upsize my tyres for better GC while maintaining original performance and not compromise on low end grunt that usually comes with tyre upsizing.

Nice query.
Just to add to that, if we plan to upsize the tyres without any change in axle ratios, will it cause any increase in idle rpm & loss of low end torque.

Also, is there any changes required to leaf spring & shackle length before going for bigger tyres so that wheels dont rub the wells? I saw Bolero strikers fitted with 31" sandgrips, but in that case rear is SPOA & wells are cut by inch or so for more room
offroad_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2013, 14:08   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgm View Post

Hi Vivek,

You can change the Diff-Ratio to 4.88:1.

For that you will need to change
1) Front & Rear Carrier Assy to 3.92&Up.
2) Front & Rear Crown Pinion to 44/9

I would suggest you pick up the heavy duty 19spline carrier (4 pinion) from the Bolero/Maxx Pick-up Trucks.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 15:34   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Vivek,

You can change the Diff-Ratio to 4.88:1.

For that you will need to change
1) Front & Rear Carrier Assy to 3.92&Up.
2) Front & Rear Crown Pinion to 44/9

I would suggest you pick up the heavy duty 19spline carrier (4 pinion) from the Bolero/Maxx Pick-up Trucks.

Regards,

Arka
Thanks for the help Arka. Also, I was interested in the ARB Air Lockers for my Bolero DI 4x4 (2011 model). When I emailed ARB dealer he said they had not done it for any Mahindra vehicles yet, and he wasn't sure whether the Bolero used the Dana44 19 spline diffs or the 30 spline diffs, as different Mahindra models used both. He also stated that the lockers for the 19 spline units had been discontinued by ARB. Would you know whether the Bolero DI 4wd uses the Dana 44 19 spline or 30 spline diffs? Also your previous thread suggested using the heavy duty 19 spline carrier for my tyre upsizing project. Would I be able to get an equivalent 30 spline unit for the tyre upgrade?
Old 14th December 2015, 22:56   #57

Changing Diff-ratio for Bolero DI 4x4

Hi,

I have a 2011 model Mahindra Bolero DI 4x4 and am upsizing the tyre from the current factory spec 28" to 31" MT tyres. I tried a set of Big Horns belonging to a friend. Leaf re-cambering, shackle lift and the bigger 31" tyres improved the ground clearance by nearly 4 inches in total, but as expected has messed up the gearing and performance of the vehicle.

I am looking to change the factory spec 3.73 differential ratio to 4.27 or even 4.56 as I am a keen off-road enthusiast.

What are the parts in the differential housing that needs changing?
Where can I source them and what is the approx. pricing for the project?

I live in Palakkad, Kerala.

Regards,
Mathew
Old 15th December 2015, 08:35   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Changing Diff-ratio for Bolero DI 4x4

Hello Vivek,

With 31 inch tyres, if you are trying to revert back to stock vehicle characteristics, you can go for 47/11 ratio. However, if you are serious on taking the vehicle offroading, then go for a higher ratio.

Since you have a 5th cog, wouldnt be a problem in the highways also.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 00:03   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Offroad specifications of Bolero 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgm View Post
What are the parts in the differential housing that needs changing?
Where can I source them and what is the approx. pricing for the project?
Hi,

As Dhanush said, for normal usage 4.27 wills suffice, but if you want really low end torque go for 4.88. You will need to change the diff carrier, crown and pinion set. The total cost of swap will be in the region of 6K for parts if you go for a used set up and about 10 to 12K new. If you can bring your jeep to coimbatore, I have a good contact who can do it for you.
Old 20th December 2015, 09:30   #60

re: Offroad specifications of Bolero 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Hi,

As Dhanush said, for normal usage 4.27 wills suffice, but if you want really low end torque go for 4.88. You will need to change the diff carrier, crown and pinion set. The total cost of swap will be in the region of 6K for parts if you go for a used set up and about 10 to 12K new. If you can bring your jeep to coimbatore, I have a good contact who can do it for you.
Thank you. Will be doing differential upgrade sometime in January. 31" tyres and new rims on the way.

Most Viewed