Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2007, 12:20   #31
BANNED

Any pics of the engine bay?

Yes those tyres probably let it down.
Old 21st November 2007, 14:28   #32
Senior - BHPian

Very nice report Samurai.

Gurkha is just a off roader and for 7.2L ex showroom equating to 8L OTR is way overpriced.

Look at the instrument panel so outdated and the engine is a non CRDi

Quote:
Force Motors has no business charging so high (7.2L ex-showroom) and delivering so little.
With their commitment in F1 they have capicity constraints i guess.
Old 21st November 2007, 14:32   #33
Senior - BHPian

Wonder what is stopping TATA from building a serious off-roader ?
Old 21st November 2007, 15:36   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Wonder what is stopping TATA from building a serious off-roader ?
Most likely the size of the market. Even M&M sells most of their vehicles in the 4x2 version. Given that TATA is relatively new in the personal automotive market, it makes sense for them to concentrate on the mass market at present.
Old 21st November 2007, 19:59   #35
BHPian

about the tires

about the tires, give me a call or send me an email rrnsss at yahoo dot com

ram
Old 21st November 2007, 20:04   #36
Team-BHP Support

Ram, my cousin is monitoring this thread, he will contact you directly. This Gurkha will be coming to Bangalore tomorrow, I have no more access.

BTW, as a long time Gurkha owner what difference do you see in the appearance of the new Gurkha?
Old 21st November 2007, 20:17   #37
BHPian

the gurkha looks BEAUTIFUL. Much better than mine. The power steering problem is a common one. It needs to be adjusted so that it is a bit harder to turn at low speeds ( just a bit ) but will give a stable feel at high speeds. The tires that came with my car are proper off road tyres JK LT 2000 4x4, which you can see in this picture and other pictures.

My SPGM gallery

These tires are monsters offroad but very dangerous on road ( especially > 70 kmph )

I have bought an additional 5 numbers 275 70 r 16 s that i use onroad

My SPGM gallery

Very safe even at 120 kmph

I know it sucks to have to change the tires but I like to have a safe trip.

The interiors etc look MUCH MUCH better than mine. I cant believe my eyes.. even though it is not upto even 1980s standards but a great leap for force nonetheless.
Old 21st November 2007, 20:21   #38
Team-BHP Support

Often, very often I feel that they have a good product in hand and taken special care to ruin it.
Old 21st November 2007, 20:28   #39
Senior - BHPian

Great review and write up Samurai, although the pics dont live up to your high standards.

The front look of the Trax variants have been evolving over the years and now it has an uncanny resemblance to the Type1 Tata Sumo (non-Victa)...complete with bull bar.

The biege treatment for the interiors works wonders to liven things up compared to before although that chrome grab bar really spoils the show. Heck, my bathroom towel bar is more stylish than that. Makes me wonder if its a dealer fitted accesory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
These tires are monsters offroad but very dangerous on road ( especially > 70 kmph )
Can you elaborate on the hi speed problems with the tyre. Handling, Braking??
I guess its better to have a additional set of tires than to buy 2 separate vehicles for on and off road.

Last edited by Mpower : 21st November 2007 at 22:52.
Old 21st November 2007, 20:37   #40
Senior - BHPian

hi,
An awesome test drive report and pics were good too... very impressed with the looks of the car but rear end and front end bumper ibn chrome looked too loud, should have been in black!!

This car needs better wheel caps, i doesnt compliment the looks of the vehicle and also tyres were a disappointment for a vehicle 8 lakhs on road!! Even the best off road vehicle will bog down when the tyres arent good

As far as vehicle creature comforts are concerned i learnt that gurkha is available only in 3 door version which is inconventient for family especially ladies. must have come with 5 door option too. Lesser said abt instrument cluster the better.
It is priced ridiculously...
regards,
vinod
Old 21st November 2007, 22:08   #41
BHPian

Knobby tires

The problem with the JK LT 2000 4x4 are common with most knobby tires. It is like trying to walk on a marble floor with spiked shoes. There is simply not enough surface contact when the surface is hard. But the same spiked shoes work wonderfully on soft earth by digging in and providing traction.

With the LT200 4x4, at 70 or 80 if to brake aggressively, the wheels will just lock up and stark skidding , because there is just not enough surface contact with the road for enough friction to be present to keep the tires rolling as you brake.

With my 275 70 r 16 that is no problem. I have not had any wheel lockups even once even at 125 kmph. Only pain being I have to change my wheels every time I go into the forest.

Ram
Old 21st November 2007, 22:40   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Can you elaborate on the hi speed problems with the tyre. Handling, Braking??
I guess its better to have a additional set of tires than to buy 2 separate vehicles for on and off road.
I face the same dilemma. My GV came with H/T which is great on highway, but less optimal off-road. On the other hand M/T (mud tyres) are great off-road but dangerous on-road, Ram has explained why, M/T are like spikes. I wanted to change to A/T (all terrain) so that I can have best of both, but that too is not perfect. By switching to A/T I'll get less FE, more noise, less highway traction, etc. Right now I am sticking to original H/T, atleast it doesn't totally suck in off-road conditions.
Old 21st November 2007, 22:50   #43
Senior - BHPian

I am passing on it

Frankly, I think it is a work of art. To me, it is beautiful. I would buy one in an instant but Force does not want to sell it, it seems. Why don't they push Gurkha? Why the long delivery delay? Is there really no demand for it?
Old 21st November 2007, 22:54   #44
Senior - BHPian

Well, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Mercedes G-wagen that was finally retired last year had a very blocky old fashioned look but the quality was good and it had a cult following. Something the new GL series cannot even dream of replicating. I feel Force should have just re-created the G-wagen rather than going for this design that people will instantly mistake for an old Sumo.
Old 21st November 2007, 23:23   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
the gurkha looks BEAUTIFUL. Much better than mine. The power steering problem is a common one. It needs to be adjusted so that it is a bit harder to turn at low speeds ( just a bit ) but will give a stable feel at high speeds. The tires that came with my car are proper off road tyres JK LT 2000 4x4, which you can see in this picture and other pictures.

My SPGM gallery

I have bought an additional 5 numbers 275 70 r 16 s that i use onroad

My SPGM gallery

Very safe even at 120 kmph

I know it sucks to have to change the tires but I like to have a safe trip.

The interiors etc look MUCH MUCH better than mine. I cant believe my eyes.. even though it is not upto even 1980s standards but a great leap for force nonetheless.
Ram,

This makes sense. I have an extra set of steel wheels with off-road tires for my Landcruiser. Off-road tires are not safe/smooth at highway speeds.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks