Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2007, 00:08   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
Are you talking about the resonance in the steering when one hits a bump at certain speeds? It plagues most Mahindras. One has to slow down to recover steering authority. They sort of rectified it by installing a damper between the tie rod and the chassis.
Yes, that is the problem which occurs and it has got a tendency of breaking something of the vehicle or slipping off the track (if the conditions are such) in the process of slowing down.
However, the newer models do have a damper and heavier steering components to rectify the fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c
Susan3004 can you confirm if the Post 2004 MM550XD have a 4 speed or 5 speed Gearbox.
Those jeeps had 4 speed gearboxes.
5 speed gearboxes have started coming with early 2007 model only.
5 speed gearboxes are easier to shift and also they engage more acurately. One had to search for slotting at the right place in 4 speed. And also 4 speed gearboxes made a very loud grinding noise while engaging the first gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Thats terrible news . Our dreams of owning MM550s have been shattered :(
Don't feel sad. I was explaining this to 4x4 adict also...those jeeps were not worth the trouble.
It had other problems also.

Last edited by aah78 : 19th December 2007 at 02:27. Reason: quote edited
Old 19th December 2007, 08:26   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
Don't feel sad. I was explaining this to 4x4 adict also...those jeeps were not worth the trouble.
Thanks for your kind words Susan

@4x4addict, Congrats on booking the Gurkha. It is one awesome Off-roader. Haven't seen one in close-quarters yet. But Samurai's review is quite extensive and I was pleasantly shocked when I read about its capabilities.
Old 23rd December 2007, 20:12   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Those jeeps had 4 speed gearboxes.
5 speed gearboxes have started coming with early 2007 model only.
5 speed gearboxes are easier to shift and also they engage more acurately. One had to search for slotting at the right place in 4 speed. And also 4 speed gearboxes made a very loud grinding noise while engaging the first gear.

The 3\4 speed gearboxes do not have synchromesh on 1st gear hence, one needs to come to a complete halt before engaging the same.. If you DO NOT then you get the Grinding noise!!

the 5 speed gearbox whereas has synchro on all gears like our modern cars!
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2007, 20:18   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
The 3\4 speed gearboxes do not have synchromesh on 1st gear hence, one needs to come to a complete halt before engaging the same.. If you DO NOT then you get the Grinding noise!!

the 5 speed gearbox whereas has synchro on all gears like our modern cars!

Surprisingly, the grinding noise is there while the jeep is stationary also! Engaging first gear has to make a noise .
Old 26th December 2007, 08:59   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Surprisingly, the grinding noise is there while the jeep is stationary also! Engaging first gear has to make a noise .
I had the same problem in a CJ3B. Try double de-clutching, it helps quite a bit.
Old 26th December 2007, 14:25   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont follow you ??
Old 27th December 2007, 18:22   #37
BHPian

Quote:
I dont follow you ??
Well, it so happens that while the jeep is stationery and you engage the first gear from neutral, the force required is a little more than what is required to engage second from neutral.
And engaging first makes a lot of grinding noise, while the second does not.
Now, to negate the sound made by engagement of first, I put the vehicle in the second and from there I take it directly to first in a quick motion without giving it any jerk. This is not the answer, but it helps a little.
Old 28th December 2007, 12:21   #38

hi,

4x4,

I hope you have won the auction and got the jeeps.
I would be interested to buy one for myself. Do mail me
so that I could see them in chennai during my visit next week.

bye cheers:

Last edited by Zappo : 2nd January 2008 at 11:39. Reason: Please limit yourself to a max of 2 smilies per post. Extra smiley edited out.
Old 28th December 2007, 21:07   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, it so happens that while the jeep is stationery and you engage the first gear from neutral, the force required is a little more than what is required to engage second from neutral.
And engaging first makes a lot of grinding noise, while the second does not.
Now, to negate the sound made by engagement of first, I put the vehicle in the second and from there I take it directly to first in a quick motion without giving it any jerk. This is not the answer, but it helps a little.
You are correct here..but all non synchro gears have this problem.. That does not mean you get grinding noise while engaging the gears..you are just impatient and too fast for the gearbox..

Try to engage first gear s..l..o..w..l..y and you definitely will not get any noise..especially if your clutch settings are perfect..!
Old 30th December 2007, 21:07   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
It is funny when you cc the top man, spurs everyone into action (it does at Airtel).
I doubt it..Can you give me some email of Airtel..Their service has gone from bad to worse in the past few months..!!

headers
Old 30th December 2007, 23:14   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramgorontla View Post
4x4,

I hope you have won the auction and got the jeeps.
I would be interested to buy one for myself. Do mail me
so that I could see them in chennai during my visit next week.

bye cheers: cheers:

i think you had one too many pretty early in the day. Please read the posts above yours.
Old 1st January 2008, 21:44   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt it..Can you give me some email of Airtel..Their service has gone from bad to worse in the past few months..!!

headers
Worked for me. I had a problem and emailed them but got no response. I then emailed them again and did cc to chief exec and hey presto they were emailing back chasing up on the phone and going out of their way to resolve the problem. The chap even pleaded for me to contact him and not to send any more letters to the big boss.

I have sent you the email id of the CEO of Airtel (Bharti). Check your PM and hope you get the same service I got.

Last edited by bigman : 1st January 2008 at 21:50.
Old 2nd January 2008, 10:48   #43
BHPian

4X4addict any progress on the auction of jeeps?
Old 2nd January 2008, 11:27   #44
Senior - BHPian

@ Hemanth, please read previous posts : the auction had been called off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Hello all.

The nonsense has happened AGAIN!. I just found out today that the auction has been canceled. I am trying to get more details. It has annoyed me so much that I am considering legal action under the "Right To Information Act". ........

Apologies to those of you who expressed interest in buying the jeeps.

MODS, I think this thread can be closed, since the main purpose of it doesnt exist now, and we are getting off-topic posts on this thread now.

Thanx.
Old 19th August 2014, 23:08   #45

Quest for 2006 NGCS MM550

A bow to all the Gurus.

For all those who want to have a look at my introduction, its fresh and available in the Introduction section. The thread name is "Bitten by the Jeep Bug!"

The jeep story goes back a few years, when Thar was launched. Was disappointed by the launch price, and stopped thinking about getting one, however I continued to read all the ownership threads(couldn't resist).

A few weeks earlier, I happened to come across an old friend, who had restored an army disposal jeep. The short drive brought back the desire to own one. This led to frantic searches online searches for available options in my price range. I searched and searched, and test-drove a few, but didn't quite find what I was looking for.

Fast-forward to two weeks earlier, and I had called up a south-Indian gentleman from Bangalore, who gave me Sidhu's number. I called up Sidhu (goes by Sidhu_Sahab in another forum), and I talked "jeep" to him to my heart's content.

By this time, I had pretty much gotten the hang of which models were produced in which year, engine options like XDP, XD3P, GB options like the first 4 speed gearbox(can't recollect the name), the BA-10 5 speed, the NGT20, transfer cases, and had started to understand the jeep terminology like LSD, FFRA etc. Also, I had the good fortune to meet another Jeep guru, Kanwar, originally from my city, and working in Ludhiana. I had found a 06 NGCS, and we made plans to visit it on Independence day. I started from Asr early morning, picked up Kanwar from Moga, drove to Patiala, checked out a couple "For sale" items, drove to the 06, checked it out, found front left leaf-spring broken, front right brake assembly hanging loose, front drive shaft(is that what its called? It runs the front wheels during 4wd) removed. Other than that, we saw that the engine was pretty much untouched, and the chassis was clean, and the gb was butter smooth.

We paid a token amount for the 06 and left. I reached home around 9, tired, but with a happy feeling in my heart.

This is where I am now.

Let the discussions begin.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks