Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2007, 00:05   #1

need help with willys CJ3B

hello everyone,

i have recently started work on restoring a willys CJ3B. i am not restoring it to the original condition as there is not much i can salvage for restoring to the original condition but i am trying to make it look like the photo of the willys in my avatar photo. i have already added power steering and power brakes but i am right now in search for a good diesel engine and gearbox.

i need advice on which engine and gearbox i could go in for and where i could find canvas material in khaki colour. i also need advice on my power steering as i have a small problem with it. the problem is that whenever i turn the steering to the left most or right most position the power steering pump makes a rattling kind of noise, any ideas on what is causing it and methods to solve it. i have modified a power steering unit from a tata estate on my vehicle. Every advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
regards
ninan
Old 16th December 2007, 07:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Simpson S4

You might to search for a thread by "croonneck" in the "Modifications and Accessories" forum. He put a Simpson S4 direct injection diesel into his MM540 with little problem. It was almost a bolt right in job.

see -----> http://www.bestbuyandsell.com/automobiles/mahambu.htm
Old 16th December 2007, 11:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
You might to search for a thread by "croonneck" in the "Modifications and Accessories" forum. He put a Simpson S4 direct injection diesel into his MM540 with little problem. It was almost a bolt right in job.

see -----> http://www.bestbuyandsell.com/automobiles/mahambu.htm
thanks dirty dan,
i was with croonneck when he got done in the same garage that i got my first jeep built. but i was searching for an engine for city use not something that heavy , so something on the lighter side. croonnecks engine was really loud. i mean the s4 makes a lot of sound compared to the normal mahindra DI as well.thanks again

Last edited by mech.9n : 16th December 2007 at 11:29.
Old 16th December 2007, 12:04   #4
BHPian

Toyota 2c turbo or Nissan will work very nicely.
my cousin brother had one and it was fitted with 2c turbo, FE was great.
its easy to find and quite trouble free.
if you want more power then bigger one from Toyota will do.

and about gearbox i don't know.
Old 16th December 2007, 12:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Seat covers

We have some clever guys here that sew custom made padded seat covers for taxis and people wanting them. They know where to get good fabric. If they exist here in this fly speck town then you probably have a few in Mysore. Maybe these guys could help you.
Old 16th December 2007, 14:02   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
DirtyDan : If they exist here in this fly speck town then you probably have a few in Mysore.
They sure will be around, even swarming like flies. The problem is finding the clever ones.

While on the topic of seat covers, does any one know any good fellas in BLR who can re-do my g-sport covers with good contour & cushioning ?
Old 16th December 2007, 20:50   #7

i have found a tata estate engine and gearbox for 10 grand in exchange for my international mahindra engine and willys three gear gearbox. please suggest if this is worth going in for!!!!

Most Viewed