Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2007, 14:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Yes in pure off roading capability it has broken all expectations. It is better than expected for sure.

Not all vehicles are desert capable. A host of American SUVs and the Range Rover just sink in there.

On the road the FJ has a superb ride and pick up. The 1GRFE engine and its future derivations are here to stay.

Ground height clearance issues have been posted here, but what is more important off road is the breakover angle.

FJ has 4 doors with the rear doors swinging outwards the other way round. Its different. However there is no 3rd row of seats here, it will seat only 5.

One disadvantage is the rear view and overall cockpit view. It is not so good and needs getting used to.

Modification kits to raise the height by upto 2 inches are commonly available along with a host of bells and whistles. but even in stock condition it is great.
Old 31st December 2007, 15:23   #17
Team-BHP Support

Photos added to post #1.
Old 31st December 2007, 16:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

Great Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Photos added to post #1.
Hai,

Great Photos.

One snaps shows the FJC stuck and being towed, it looks as it it will totter over.

So it's possible for a FJC to get stuck on a dune, may be low dune driving skills?

--Ramky
Old 31st December 2007, 17:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Hai,

Great Photos.

One snaps shows the FJC stuck and being towed, it looks as it it will totter over.

So it's possible for a FJC to get stuck on a dune, may be low dune driving skills?

--Ramky
You talking about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Look carefully - thats not an FJ being towed. I suspect thats an Xterra (from the roofline) or a Pathfinder but I could be wrong.

ANY vehicle can get stuck in the dunes, and no it doesnt depend on the driver either. The best of drivers get stuck, and getting stuck is also part of the fun.
Old 31st December 2007, 17:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

Could Be Xterra

Yes, its not a FJC. There's'nt a single pictue of the FJC being stuck, only an XTERRA got stuck? Nice idea by Toyota.....

The roof line looks most surely like an Xterra. The wheel arches of the Xterra are angular, could not make it out clearly from the picture.

--Ramky

--------------

Last edited by ramkya1 : 31st December 2007 at 17:25. Reason: Correction
Old 1st January 2008, 11:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

Nice write up and nice pics. Toyota sure has made a off beat design which looks like is gonna work in the markets.

Quite a capable vehicle.. I dont understand why we comparing a pure breed work horse with a mule?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Scorpio
Engine-cc: 2179
BHP 120 @4000 rpm (New Scorp)
GC-inc 7
Width-in 71
Leng-in 176
Height-in 77

FJ Cruiser (4WD)
Eng-cc: 4000 (?)
BHP 239 @5200 rpm
GC-inc 9.6
Width-in 75
Leng-in 184
Height-in 72

Turning Circle diameter is given as 41.8 feets for FJC and Scorp its 5.6, given as turning radius. Wonder how to compare this?

This comparision is not correct, different classes, but to get an idea of the FJC, wonder what other SUV the FJC is comparable?

The FJC looks like a genie in a bottle, compared to Indian SUV's, except on the price front of about 10L abroad, with duties could touch 30K.

--Ramky
=======

This is all that matters. ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Personal experience on both Dunes and Wadis (dry, rocky mountain streams) has been to the contrary. The FJ has beaten all expectations.

I always wanted to try the dunes in UAE on a Landcruiser -- scratch that and change the order to a FJ cruiser!
Old 1st January 2008, 11:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

Its An Unfair Comparision

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Nice write up and nice pics. Toyota sure has made a off beat design which looks like is gonna work in the markets.

Quite a capable vehicle.. I dont understand why we comparing a pure breed work horse with a mule?

I always wanted to try the dunes in UAE on a Landcruiser -- scratch that and change the order to a FJ cruiser!
I have also mentioned the comparisionis not right, two different classes, unkind to the Scorpio , its a class apart. Who ever would think of taking the Scorp across on a wadi or a dune!!!

The metrics was to get more of a bearing on the FJC and appreciate the mammoth difference in performance.

The more I hear of the dunes in UAE the more I'm leaning towards a sarafi holiday @ Dubai and try a hand at these beasts!!!

Happy Driving,

--Ramky
===========
Old 19th January 2008, 20:09   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
You talking about this?

Look carefully - thats not an FJ being towed. I suspect thats an Xterra (from the roofline) or a Pathfinder but I could be wrong.

ANY vehicle can get stuck in the dunes, and no it doesnt depend on the driver either. The best of drivers get stuck, and getting stuck is also part of the fun.
No thats an LR3(Land Rover Discovery) and not an Xterra.Thats sad.LR3s I thought are atleast good offroaders.Desert conditions are different I know and it may be a v6 version or diesel.
FJC is a very capable offroader-its based on another verycapable SUV-the 4 runner.
Old 21st January 2008, 15:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

It is a Land Rover LR 3 that is stuck and being towed out by the FJC. The owner was so fed up with his vehicle's desert performance that he sold it and bought a Hummer H 2 half deck instead.

Competitors for FJC where its target market is :

Jeep Wrangler
Hummer H 3
Nissan Pathfinder
Mitsubishi Pajero
Ford Explorer
Chevy Z 1 Trailblazer
Old 23rd January 2008, 07:46   #25
BHPian

Quote:
It is a Land Rover LR 3 that is stuck and being towed out by the FJC. The owner was so fed up with his vehicle's desert performance that he sold it and bought a Hummer H 2 half deck instead.

Jeep Wrangler
Hummer H 3
Nissan Pathfinder
Mitsubishi Pajero
Ford Explorer
Chevy Z 1 Trailblazer
Of these,only Wrangler is comparable to FJC as far as offroading is concerned(I dont know much about sand).Pathfinder probabaly next best.pajero is not quite in the league.Explorer and Trailblazer are useless as an offroaders.H3 and Trailblazer are essentially twins but H3 is a better offroader.
LR3,atleast in its HSE vesion(v8 petrol) is a very capable offroader.
Old 23rd January 2008, 13:00   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Jeep Wrangler
Hummer H 3
Nissan Pathfinder
Mitsubishi Pajero
Ford Explorer
Chevy Z 1 Trailblazer
How does the Pajero fare when pitted against the FJ? I always felt the Pajero was a good off-roader !
Old 27th January 2008, 00:39   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
How does the Pajero fare when pitted against the FJ? I always felt the Pajero was a good off-roader !
Last weeked we had a desert bash at hatta for the launch of the new JEEP CHEROKEE and the competition is pajero, prado etc etc. our marshalls were running on a wrangler unlimited sport which goes like stink.
The pajeros and prados are also very very competitive and a breeze to drive.
Old 17th February 2008, 13:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

AN FJ cruiser is a far far superior vehicle off road ( specially in the desert ) compared to a Pajero.

It outperforms even a Pajero 3.8 lit, V6, SWB in DUne climbing.
Old 18th February 2008, 01:11   #29
BHPian

what about the LWB??
Old 18th February 2008, 14:33   #30
Senior - BHPian

It outperform the SWB so LWB is obviously much further behind. But by no means are Pajeros not good. Application is different. Here we are discussing serious dune driving where only Wranglers, Landcruisers, Prados ,Nissan Patrols or Fjs can make it.

Most Viewed