Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2008, 20:52   #31
Team-BHP Support

There is no way the Montero will be priced below 25-30L even if it's manufactured locally forget CKD.

With the tax impositions and the Indian auto industry it cannot happen. If CKD were to reduce the cost by that much then why is the Audi A4/Merc C/ BMW 3 still priced at 35L?
Old 18th March 2008, 21:36   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
I see quite a few new ones in Bangalore now ( after the price rationalisation sometimes back )
I am noticing quite a few in Bangalore as well. I too think that it should be priced from 12 to 15 lakh. 18 lakh is on the higher side but right now there is no diesel options in this range. When the Fortuner comes out, it will be a different Story. If they launch a GV in diesel it will be a strong competitor for the Pajero too.
Old 18th March 2008, 22:15   #33
Senior - BHPian

I love the non-morphed looks of this car sans the paint-job, which demands to be in 2-tone allright, but in a different scheme.

I would have loved to see a CRDi engine in this. It does not matter that the car is old, if it still works great.
Old 18th March 2008, 22:32   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I am noticing quite a few in Bangalore as well. I too think that it should be priced from 12 to 15 lakh. 18 lakh is on the higher side but right now there is no diesel options in this range. When the Fortuner comes out, it will be a different Story. If they launch a GV in diesel it will be a strong competitor for the Pajero too.
No way can Fortuner or new GV beat a Pajero, petrol or diesel. Those are soft roaders unlike the Pajero.
Old 18th March 2008, 23:29   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
No way can Fortuner or new GV beat a Pajero, petrol or diesel. Those are soft roaders unlike the Pajero.
Fortuner is a body on Frame truck with three diffs including a locking center differential. It will be as capable as a pajero.

GV is not a Soft Roader. It is just not a body on Frame type vehicle, but a uni-body construction like the Montero 3.2 or the Jeep Cherokee. It is not based on a car platform like other softroaders (CRV is based on the Civic platform). It comes with a fully functional 4x4 system with a low range transfer case.

Pajero is a very competent off-roader but let us not kid ourself, it is no way the most capable off-roader out there.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 18th March 2008 at 23:31.
Old 18th March 2008, 23:30   #36
BHPian

Pajero is definately overpriced for being such an old vintage. Mitsubishi may get their mini Pajero to Indian Market, which will be welcome whiff of fresh air for smaller off road vehicles.
I am posting a photo of that vehicle parked in front of an airport(Photo of the drive is not that clear.)
Attached Thumbnails
New Pajero SFX-dscn1472.jpg  

Old 18th March 2008, 23:59   #37
Senior - BHPian

Guys, don't forget that hardly 1% of SUV owners in India ever take their trucls off-road. And that is even more true for people buying SUV's priced in the 15L & above bracket.

Just food for thought: Even though the Cayenne/Touareg are very competent off-roaders & have sold pretty decently in India, how many have you actually seen going off-road?
Old 19th March 2008, 00:18   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Guys, don't forget that hardly 1% of SUV owners in India ever take their trucls off-road. And that is even more true for people buying SUV's priced in the 15L & above bracket.

Just food for thought: Even though the Cayenne/Touareg are very competent off-roaders & have sold pretty decently in India, how many have you actually seen going off-road?
i agree. the 4x4 sticker is for a lot of people to show that they have the cash to BUY it - just not the HEART to actually take the 20lakh+ vehivle where it should actually go! in the dirt!!
Old 19th March 2008, 00:26   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
GV is not a Soft Roader. It is just not a body on Frame type vehicle, but a uni-body construction like the Montero 3.2 or the Jeep Cherokee. It is not based on a car platform like other softroaders (CRV is based on the Civic platform). It comes with a fully functional 4x4 system with a low range transfer case.
Actually GV chassis is uni-body welded onto a ladder frame, getting the best of both world. But there is no point in defending GV, you can't change perception by arguing. As long as Palio remains the best hatch, GV remains the soft-roader.

Back to Pajero. I had a very close look at it in Vaahan Yatra, just opposite JBL stall. It has a very old style, more like early 90s or late 80s look, who makes SUVs like that even now? If somebody is paying 22L (in Karnataka), at least it should look good. If one doesn't care about off-road ability (most don't), they are better off with Captiva or CRV. I shied away from Pajero for 3 reasons, (1) the looks, (2) the price & (3) that Look at that Price.
Old 19th March 2008, 00:29   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post

. Those gentlemen with flashy expesive 4x4s wouldn't even take their babies out on open highways, leave alone slush and gradients.

I clicked this photo being in the lead jeep, and this jeep following me on my trailblazing.
Attached Thumbnails
New Pajero SFX-img_2336.jpg  

susan3004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2008, 00:52   #41
Senior - BHPian

Dunno about the Mini Pajero, but I would love to get my hands on the old short wheel base Pajero (same generation as the Pajero being sold in India).
Attached Thumbnails
New Pajero SFX-paj_swb.jpg  

Old 19th March 2008, 01:02   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Dunno about the Mini Pajero, but I would love to get my hands on the old short wheel base Pajero (same generation as the Pajero being sold in India).

That is the three doored mini Pajero! I had driven it and loved it for its' manuverability.
Old 19th March 2008, 01:45   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Actually GV chassis is uni-body welded onto a ladder frame, getting the best of both world. But there is no point in defending GV, you can't change perception by arguing. As long as Palio remains the best hatch, GV remains the soft-roader.
You better keep a fire extinguisher ready after that comment

The Pajero is OK, probably the best offroader in the 15-25 lakh range, but it still cannot justify its pricetag. Its is a good thing they are still sticking with relatively high profile 15'' tyres instead of 16''s.
Old 19th March 2008, 02:37   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
I clicked this photo being in the lead jeep, and this jeep following me on my trailblazing.
intersting photo, major sandeep...
and interesting terrain too,..
btw, where was this pic taken??
DR Congo?
Old 19th March 2008, 08:05   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
. Those gentlemen with flashy expesive 4x4s wouldn't even take their babies out on open highways, leave alone slush and gradients.

hey susan,

where was this pic taken - thats one of our trusty mahindras on un duty isin't it?

going by the rain and the jungles - not africa so, se asia somewhere maybe?

my dad's ex army as well and i use to love it when these spanking new gypsies, jeeps, 1.5 tonners etc would come barrelling down the roads all shiny in their white paint, with UN emblazonned across the sides!

cheers.

Last edited by bIte tHe bulLet : 19th March 2008 at 08:06.

Most Viewed