Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2008, 00:50   #271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
... if ever you want to throw those alloys away, you know which directions to throw them in . I am actually looking for these alloys for my Gypsy :-)
Please see the classifieds : these alloys are for sale now !

Team-BHP Classifieds - JEEP 3 SPOKE PLATTY ALLOYS 139.7 PCD(SPARINGLY USED)8.5X15 WITH MRF VTS TYRES(SPARINGLY USED,4NOS)FOR SALE. - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds
Old 7th December 2008, 01:16   #272
BANNED

Sl. No. 17 of the RC (TN, don't know about other states) is intended to record tyre numbers and sizes. He also mentioned legal formalities - let us not take away anything from that.
Old 7th December 2008, 20:26   #273
Senior - BHPian

this major has a single 2WD/4WD shifter. the older ones had 2 shifters, what were they for?? is this mechanism same as the ford endeavour shifter i.e. 2H, 4H, 4L, N??
Old 7th December 2008, 22:09   #274
Senior - BHPian

What does 4WD 'shift on fly' mean

I read on the thread

Transmission NGT520 + Brog Warner Transfer Case (5+1) and 4WD (shift on fly although it is manual selection)

What does Shift on fly mean and how is this different that the normal 4WD's

Also does anyone have the latest price details on the Major 4WD and is there any wait time for buying this vehicle?
Old 7th December 2008, 22:17   #275
Senior - BHPian

4WD Shift on the Fly system allows manual shifting from 2WD to 4WD Hi without coming to a stop. Most systems have a speed limit at which you can engage the system; typically it's under 100 kmph.
Old 8th December 2008, 20:40   #276

In My R.c Book It Was Clearly Stated That Front Axle 2-size Of Tyres 6.00x16[8pr],rear Axle 2- Size Of Tyres 6.00x16[8 Pr].more Over They Charged Me Rs 500/- Under The Headding That Compounding Under Section 191 Of Motor Vehicle Act Dated 06-12-2008.[un Authorised Material Alterations Comes Under Section 191] ,god May Please Forgive This Idiots Who Treat This As A Serious Offence.
Old 8th December 2008, 21:53   #277
BHPian

Dear jeepers,
You are correct, you can shift on the fly, but not when you are cursing at 100, then the question is why use 4x4 at the speed 100, One has to be on the normal road & not offroading,

As per my experience the torque generated is very high & will literally damage the entire gear box, recently i was told that a safari had completely damaged the GB, and on enquiring with the wok shop manager what was the issue he explained the customer had switched the 4/4 on an high speed, when asked the customer his answer was "4WD Shift on the Fly "

One needs to surely slow down & not stop when engaging the 4/4,

Till then take care & Best regards
Vinay thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
4WD Shift on the Fly system allows manual shifting from 2WD to 4WD Hi without coming to a stop. Most systems have a speed limit at which you can engage the system; typically it's under 100 kmph.

Last edited by v12 : 9th December 2008 at 13:34.
Old 9th December 2008, 08:48   #278
Senior - BHPian

I was inquiring on the prices for the Major and this is what I've received

Dealer in Goa. CL 550 4x4 Major Rs. 5.43 on road
Punjab Automobiles Ahmedabad, But the vehicle will be registered in Gandhi Nagar CL 550 4x4 Major Rs.5.50 (On Road)

All the above prices are before the excise cut, so I expect the vehicle to cost less by about 20k.

Now I am trying to find the prices for Punjab. If I buy I will most probably get it registered in Hoshiarpur, Punjab or somewhere in Haryana.
Will there be any issue with driving a vehicle registered out of state in Delhi.

My basic usage would be weekend drives to OTR's and occasional trips to the hills and national parks.
I am very much inclined in buying this vehicle compared to buying a 10-15year old 540/550 and getting it restored.

Reason being
Brand new vehicle from the factory compared to 10-15 years old vehicle
3 years warranty
New powerful Engine MDI3200TC, 5 speed gear box,
Reliable and trusted engine. already working as a very capable vehicle in rural India as taxis
Easily of available parts and can be repaired in rural areas too
Jeep looks
Also relibility of a new vehicle would always be better than an old restored vehicle. Even is properly restored there are still chances of something going wrong.
Buying and restoring a 540/550 will cost me anywhere between 2.5-3.0Lacs. So the difference will be approx 2-2.25 lacs. But the 540's would cost more to maintain compared to a new vehicle. The amount of money I would spend extra on the Major will be saved in the yearly maintainance costs associated with old vehicles, better resale later, trouble free vehicle.

Also if I buy, I will keep the vehicle for the next 10-15 years and I think if I sell after that still it would command a better resale value compared to a 10-15 years old 540/550 which if I buy now would most likely go as scrap as at the time of selling will be 20-25 years old.

So now the big question
Should I go ahead and give the deposit on this particular model or wait as there discussion going on in another thread about the vague possibility of a all new MM540 relaunch?
Old 9th December 2008, 09:57   #279
Senior - BHPian

Go for new major

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
I was inquiring on the prices for the Major and this is what I've received

Dealer in Goa. CL 550 4x4 Major Rs. 5.43 on road
Punjab Automobiles Ahmedabad, But the vehicle will be registered in Gandhi Nagar CL 550 4x4 Major Rs.5.50 (On Road)

All the above prices are before the excise cut, so I expect the vehicle to cost less by about 20k.

Now I am trying to find the prices for Punjab. If I buy I will most probably get it registered in Hoshiarpur, Punjab or somewhere in Haryana.
Will there be any issue with driving a vehicle registered out of state in Delhi.

My basic usage would be weekend drives to OTR's and occasional trips to the hills and national parks.
I am very much inclined in buying this vehicle compared to buying a 10-15year old 540/550 and getting it restored.

Reason being
Brand new vehicle from the factory compared to 10-15 years old vehicle
3 years warranty
New powerful Engine MDI3200TC, 5 speed gear box,
Reliable and trusted engine. already working as a very capable vehicle in rural India as taxis
Easily of available parts and can be repaired in rural areas too
Jeep looks
Also relibility of a new vehicle would always be better than an old restored vehicle. Even is properly restored there are still chances of something going wrong.
Buying and restoring a 540/550 will cost me anywhere between 2.5-3.0Lacs. So the difference will be approx 2-2.25 lacs. But the 540's would cost more to maintain compared to a new vehicle. The amount of money I would spend extra on the Major will be saved in the yearly maintainance costs associated with old vehicles, better resale later, trouble free vehicle.

Also if I buy, I will keep the vehicle for the next 10-15 years and I think if I sell after that still it would command a better resale value compared to a 10-15 years old 540/550 which if I buy now would most likely go as scrap as at the time of selling will be 20-25 years old.

So now the big question
Should I go ahead and give the deposit on this particular model or wait as there discussion going on in another thread about the vague possibility of a all new MM540 relaunch?
Harjeev,

I suggest you to go ahead with a new major CL550 4wd. Your reasoning is right and you will not regret the purchase. The new product is far ahead in terms of performance and reliability than what you could best get from restoration by spending about 3 lakhs plus! If your pocket allows go for it!!!
Old 9th December 2008, 13:25   #280
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ3b View Post
[SIZE=2]As per my experience the torque generated is very high & will literally damage the entire gear box, recently i was told that a safari had completely damaged the GB, and on enquiring with the wok shop manager what was the issue he explained the customer had switched the 4/4 on an high speed, when asked the customer his answer was "4WD Shift on the Fly "
Oh yes that was a super incident where the customer shifted into 4L on the move . That Safari was at Concorde ECR Chennai - looking at a new gearbox etc.

2H <-> 4H on the Safari can be used upto 60 kph.
Old 9th December 2008, 13:33   #281
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Oh yes that was a super incident where the customer shifted into 4L on the move .
I am surprised the switch lets you do it. So its not idiot proof then.
Old 9th December 2008, 18:20   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So now the big question
You might at least wait 3 weeks until the new year and see if Mahindra makes an announcement on a new, reissued, 4x4. This way you will also get a 2009 model Major if you jump that way. Around here, plates that are out of state attract more police attention especially at check points. That may be a downside to registering out of state.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 9th December 2008 at 18:22.
Old 9th December 2008, 21:02   #283
Senior - BHPian

Difference between CL/CJ340 & CL550 (Major)

Thanks Vinod & DD for your inputs,
I will go for the MM550 and in Jan09 so that I get a new year latest model.

Now I am confused on

Difference between CL/CJ340 & CL550

Dear Sirs,
When I see the CJ340 and compare it to the CL550 i dont see any noticable difference, cosmeticaly!

This much I know that mechnacilly the CL550 is a newer model but what is the difference between both these models mechnically as well as cosmeticaly.

Also how capable of an off-roader is the CL550 when compared to the other M&M 4x4's (CJ3's, CJ340, MM series).
Thanks
Harjeev

Pl execuse me if this has already been answered but i couldnt find the relevant thread
Old 15th December 2008, 02:25   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I see the CJ340 and compare it to the CL550 i dont see any noticable difference, cosmeticaly!

Pl execuse me if this has already been answered but i couldnt find the relevant thread
Harjeev, the 340 is much smaller. Look closer, the differences will become readily apparent to you. Look at more pictures, look for more threads. It's all there.
Old 15th December 2008, 15:20   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Now I am confused on Difference between CL/CJ340 & CL550

Dear Sirs,
I think the main difference is on length. CL/CJ340 is SWB (80") and CL 550 is MWB (91").

Correct me if am wrong

tks/sali
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks