Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2010, 12:20   #406
Senior - BHPian

Am keeping fingers, legs, everything crossed for Mahindra to come out with a replacement for the NCGS MM5?0.

Dreams tell me it is the THAR with Solid Axle Coil springs. Reality tells me a different story. I prefer to dream on!!

Last edited by headers : 30th August 2010 at 12:39.
Old 30th August 2010, 16:27   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You are wrong on both count.

For me, if the source is very reliable, it is a strong rumour.

The rural market won't buy CRDi engines or pay 7L+ on farm workhorses. Major does need a replacement, and that is not Thar.
i never wrote THAR with a CRDe to replace major and invade.

this is what i wrote> "i thought Major and Invador has made way for THAR in a DI engine in 550 avtar!"

a rumour is still a rumour, even if the source is very reliable!

if you say its a strong information from a reliable source, i would belive you!
Old 30th August 2010, 16:47   #408
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
a rumour is still a rumour, even if the source is very reliable!

if you say its a strong information from a reliable source, i would belive you!
Hmm, in that case don't believe me. As per me, information can only come from official channels. When it comes via unofficial channels, it is rumour.
Old 30th August 2010, 17:01   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a strong rumour of MM550 making a come back with BS3 MDI engine. Let's hope that will happen.
Quote:
Hmm, in that case don't believe me. As per me, information can only come from official channels. When it comes via unofficial channels, it is rumour.
I will buy a 550+Mdi Combo as a replacement for my CJ340. I am afraid a Thar @ 7~ is beyond my budget...
Old 30th August 2010, 21:49   #410
BHPian

Quote:

Just change the axle ratio from 3.73 to 4.27 and your problem will be solved. Do not attempt changing rims into 19/20 inches.
Thanks Samurai, this is what I'm looking for. As I'm not well versed with technicals, I was not aware, the axle ratio could be changed.
I can see a lot of guys are from kerala. Can anyone suggest me a Garage where this type of work can be done? if not anywhere in south???
Old 31st August 2010, 07:08   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
I can see a lot of guys are from kerala. Can anyone suggest me a Garage where this type of work can be done? if not anywhere in south???
Check out jeepthrills.in There are a lot of guys from Kerala!
Old 9th September 2010, 23:11   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, I do not want to do anything with the chassis. But if there were any methods by which i can improve the performance without modding the engine. I drive the vehicle solo, so I can do without the back seats, steps etc. I have found out that the jeep is short geared, the whole ratios can be stretched a little bit more, if we are not loading the vehicle. The only way to do it is I think is to increase the rim size about 3 inches to 19 or 20 inches, keeping the profile of the tire the same. We might need to find alloys with lesser weight to offset the added girth. This will help to use the available torque at low rpms. for climbing, we can use the 2L gear, if needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai
Just change the axle ratio from 3.73 to 4.27 and your problem will be solved. Do not attempt changing rims into 19/20 inches..
Quote:
Thanks Samurai, this is what I'm looking for. As I'm not well versed with technicals, I was not aware, the axle ratio could be changed.
Samurai, he seems to be complaining about the gears being too short. How will moving to higher axle ratios help the cause? It will make it even worser wouldnt it?
Isnt moving to larger overall diameter tyre+rim setup the correct answer?

p.s: I am a bit surprised to find the gears seeming short with 3.73 axle ratio, I mean so many of us use 5.38 so conveniently! Am I missing something here? Is the 17Nm or torque at 1500rpm playing foul here or what?

Last edited by The Wolf : 9th September 2010 at 23:20.
Old 10th September 2010, 12:40   #413
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Samurai, he seems to be complaining about the gears being too short. How will moving to higher axle ratios help the cause? It will make it even worser wouldnt it?
I didn't try to put too much meaning into his statement about short gears considering he has 3.73 ratio. Instead I focused on his need for performance, for which he was planning to strip the back seat, steps ,etc. So I assumed he was complaining about torque, which can't be fixed by moving to bigger rims.

Quote:
Isnt moving to larger overall diameter tyre+rim setup the correct answer?
So you think 19/20 inch rims is the answer?
Old 10th September 2010, 13:01   #414
Senior - BHPian

Gears or Tyres

Quote:
No, I do not want to do anything with the chassis. But if there were any methods by which i can improve the performance without modding the engine. I drive the vehicle solo, so I can do without the back seats, steps etc. I have found out that the jeep is short geared, the whole ratios can be stretched a little bit more, if we are not loading the vehicle. The only way to do it is I think is to increase the rim size about 3 inches to 19 or 20 inches, keeping the profile of the tire the same. We might need to find alloys with lesser weight to offset the added girth. This will help to use the available torque at low rpms. for climbing, we can use the 2L gear, if needed.
Hi Mithun,

Do you want to improve the Top Speed, or the Acceleration through out the Gears?

If you want Top Speed you can go in for taller tyres (31-32" Tall on 15 or 16" Rims)

If you want better acceleration throughout your gears you can Change the Differential Ratio (Front & Back) to 4.27:1 (47/11) or a more drastic 4.88:1 (44/9), but for 4.88:1 I would strongly suggest you go in for taller tyres (31-32")

To Calculate the tyre height (OD)

(New Diff-Ratio/ Existing Diff-Ratio) X Present Tyre OD.

i) (4.27/3.73) X 28"(NDMS 6.00X16) = 32"

For 4.27:1 if you use 28: Tyres, you will Gain 14% more Torque and you Speed will Reduce by 14%

ii) (4.88/3.73) X 28" = 36"

But if with 4.88:1 you use 28" Tyres you will again an additional 30% Torque at the wheels, and your speed will reduce by 30%.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2010, 13:08   #415
Senior - BHPian

Didnt understand how 4.27 will help him in making his gears longer though! His concern seems to be slightly different as I see it... He has mentioned that if he needs shorter gear he has 2L.

Quote:
So you think 19/20 inch rims is the answer?
I dont think larger diameter set-up self interprets into 19/20 inch rims sharath.
Old 10th September 2010, 13:21   #416
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Didnt understand how 4.27 will help him in making his gears longer though! His concern seems to be slightly different as I see it... He has mentioned that if he needs shorter gear he has 2L.

I dont think larger diameter set-up self interprets into 19/20 inch rims sharath.
Mithun's requirement was vaguely defined, so I had to interpret with the best of intention. Arka has explained it beautifully just now, addressing both side of the equation, need or top speed vs acceleration. With 3.73 ratio, I didn't think top speed would be his problem.

Last edited by Samurai : 10th September 2010 at 13:23.
Old 10th September 2010, 15:36   #417
Senior - BHPian

Top speed as well as max speed per gear will be lesser with 4.27 than that with 3.73. I think he genuinely wants to have longer gears or may be attain higher speeds in each gear, something like in conventional cars. In this case going for 2 odd inches extra on wheel diameter will help.

Mithun, could you explain what exactly you are looking for? Better in gear acceleration or higher max speed per gear with a higher top end speed?

Last edited by The Wolf : 10th September 2010 at 15:41.
Old 5th October 2010, 10:57   #418
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
It was a sad moment for all of us. M&M bids fairwell to Major and Commander series of vehicles on 30th of September. Also super robust KMT 90 gearbox is also gone forever.

I just wish this model must return the way MM540 did- some day!!
Old 5th October 2010, 12:53   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - with the end of the BS2 era in India on 30 September 2010, the Major and the Commander as per the present specification are not produced from 01 October 2010. I agree with Vinod and I also wish that this model must return the way MM540 did, some day. Let's see -----.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2010, 13:47   #420
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@Vinod:

Guess the loss of Major is compensated by the rebirth of the 540.

Will the pick up range also now come with the NGT520 rather than KMT90?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks