Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2008, 21:40   #226
BHPian

I have seen a few CJ4/CJ500D jeeps with a white fibreglass hardtop and doors. The HT unit seemed to be factory fitted.
Old 15th July 2008, 00:32   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Quite possible, RedMM340, but you will also agree that if the terrain is real bad enough, then even front and rear diff locks will not help .

And in any case, that makes it all the more outrageous that the Major4x4 can be priced so high (without any diff locks, I mean).
No I don't agree. The worse the terrain, the more help diff locks will be. That is, of course assuming the driver knows how to use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Is it possible to put a hardtop and doors on a Major? RedMM340, you fabricated a top for yours?
Anything is possible with enough time and money. That being said, the doors on my 340 Jeep just don't fit up that well. The body was just not designed for doors, and I believe that flat fender Jeeps loose their character with doors.

If good fitting doors are important, then a MM540/550 would be a better choice.
Old 15th July 2008, 13:44   #228
Senior - BHPian

Mahnidra major 6.7 lakhs??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemanth View Post
Sorry it's 6.7 Lakhs and i enquired on Friday 11th July. I thought of selling my Gypsy and was planning to go for a new jeep. But now i have changed my plans.
I dont think mahindra major costs that much. It must be about 5.5 lakhs. Bolero 4wd SLx top end retails at 7.5 lakhs on road.
Old 15th July 2008, 15:19   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
The body was just not designed for doors, and I believe that flat fender Jeeps loose their character with doors.

Up here there is snow, lots of cows and lots of trucks. When a truck goes by you and dumps several kilos of brown snow in your lap thru the open doorway, "character" is not usually the first thing you think of.

Also, there are a number of drunken tourists who think no doors means a handy place to sit and rest or throw their trash. Could be a 540-550 in my future, as you say.
Old 16th July 2008, 22:41   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Up here there is snow, lots of cows and lots of trucks. When a truck goes by you and dumps several kilos of brown snow in your lap thru the open doorway, "character" is not usually the first thing you think of.

Also, there are a number of drunken tourists who think no doors means a handy place to sit and rest or throw their trash. Could be a 540-550 in my future, as you say.

O.k., I now understand why you want doors. Even crude doors will be very effective against splatter. Roll down glass is not easy to do. No glass would be better.

You could build a basic tubular frame door with a light piece of sheet metal in the center space. The window area could have a roll of clear plastic pvc attached at the top of the frame, that could be rolled up or down.
Old 17th July 2008, 13:34   #231
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
O.k., I now understand why you want doors. Even crude doors will be very effective against splatter. Roll down glass is not easy to do. No glass would be better.
Plastic doors are the best in this case! They can be fitted on the CJ, Major and most old school Jeeps. You can get them custom built for cheap too.

The best part is, you can even remove them when you want:

On in the city:

Mahindra Major 4x4 Edit:Now Discontinued-19.jpg

Taken out for offroading:

Mahindra Major 4x4 Edit:Now Discontinued-rush-gaurav.jpg

Advantage of plastic doors:

- Cheap
- Protection from the elements (rain, muck etc.)
- Look great
- No rattles, which would otherwise be a permanent irritant with metal doors
- 2 minute job to take on or off

Disadvantage:
- Not a smug fit. Gaps will let air through, and thus, no protection from cold weather
- Break easily. But again, can be repaired cheap.

Last edited by GTO : 17th July 2008 at 13:37.
Old 17th July 2008, 19:16   #232
Senior - BHPian

yeah GTO, but the classic has character with the doors. the CJ3B does not. It looks better naked!

Guess the best jeep with doors are the 540 / 550 series! Agree with redmm on that!
Old 18th July 2008, 00:03   #233
BHPian

GTO,
You are absolutely correct! I almost forgot about my original plastic doors that came with my CJ340. They worked really nicely in cold weather, and were super light. I think I still have them somewhere in the garage.

I eventually removed the entire soft top along with the plastic doors. I ran my jeep for years with just a small bikini top and no doors. That was the best setup for me. I would slide the bikini top off in 30 seconds when the weather was nice, and then the jeep looked perfect!

Regards,
Old 8th November 2008, 16:57   #234

Major 550 Turbo 4WD Costs Only Rs 4,57,000/-in Kerala excluding Life Time Tax and Insurance (Rs. 28500 Lifetax, Rs. 18700 Insurance). I Have 2008 Model Major 4WD, please Check My Album.
Old 8th November 2008, 18:20   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abiacherian View Post
I Have 2008 Model Major 4WD, please Check My Album.
Hi welcome to Team-Bhp.

I can see no album, post your pics fast !!
Old 8th November 2008, 20:42   #236
Senior - BHPian

Hello There....

Quote:
Major 550 Turbo 4WD Costs Only Rs 4,57,000/-in Kerala excluding Life Time Tax and Insurance (Rs. 28500 Lifetax, Rs. 18700 Insurance). I Have 2008 Model Major 4WD, please Check My Album.
Wow - A MAJOR owner on TBHP. Congrats and welcome aboad. (Your 'profile' not the album has the pic - great ALLOYS. Please load a new PIC after 'blanking the number plates'

1) Do you have access to a Scanner?
2) Can you scan the owner manual and post them in the forum for all would-be MAJOR owners.
3) Please POST lots of Pics of the MAJOR engine, under chassis and the DASH and the gear lever's and rear-benches if possible please?
4) Please break up the EXSHOWROOM, road tax, and insurance and the 'other' charges?
5) Which showroom did you get the vehicle?
6) How many days did you wait for delivery?
7) How is the ownership experience? How many Kms have you completed and how are the service intervals and cost of owner ship?
8) Do you do normal road drives? What Fuel-efficiency are you getting to a liter?

Sorry to blast you above - but not everyday 'we' come across a Major 4x4 Owner in Flesh...!!!
Old 8th November 2008, 21:08   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Wow - A MAJOR owner on TBHP. Congrats and welcome aboad. (Your 'profile' not the album has the pic - great ALLOYS. Please load a new PIC after 'blanking the number plates'

1) Do you have access to a Scanner?
2) Can you scan the owner manual and post them in the forum for all would-be MAJOR owners.
3) Please POST lots of Pics of the MAJOR engine, under chassis and the DASH and the gear lever's and rear-benches if possible please?
4) Please break up the EXSHOWROOM, road tax, and insurance and the 'other' charges?
5) Which showroom did you get the vehicle?
6) How many days did you wait for delivery?
7) How is the ownership experience? How many Kms have you completed and how are the service intervals and cost of owner ship?
8) Do you do normal road drives? What Fuel-efficiency are you getting to a liter?

Sorry to blast you above - but not everyday 'we' come across a Major 4x4 Owner in Flesh...!!!
it took 24 hours only for the delivery.there was no hidden charges.i spend RS2400/- for requested registration number;and that was all i spend other than road tax and insurance.i don't have a scanner;i will put more pictures in near future.because my alteration work[ major to major sovanier] in the mid way.i coverd 8900 kms.it includes hiways,off-roads and i am compleatelysatisfied with the perfomance.i took delivery from TVS KOTTAYAM. I got an average of 17 kms/lit.i changed the tyres to 215-75-15.[mrf]and fitted platty alloys with 139.7 pcd [8.5x15].for this cosmetic surgery i spend RS42,500/-.
Old 8th November 2008, 21:37   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
Hi welcome to Team-Bhp.

I can see no album, post your pics fast !!

Well ,
I think he is the proud owner of the Major 4X4 whose Pics are posted on post no 27 (By Spitfire) on this very same thread. Only the wheels are changed to Classis Alloys.

Lets see how the offroad performance & owner ship experience is.
Old 8th November 2008, 23:20   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I dont understand why there is this notion among common people that the drivers of the hills are some kind of super-human beings and people from the plains will fail miserably on the hills. But I am yet to be convinced about this. And I have seen how the drivers from Darjeeling and Gangtok start sweating when they reach the plains.. so please stop comparing. a good driver is good anywhere, no matter what he drives or where he drives...

Amen. No one could have put it forth any better mate.
Cheers
jammy
Old 9th November 2008, 02:31   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Aby sir, I think you are referring to your Orkut album, it is not visible to everyone(though I managed to have a look ). But I must say I am impressed. A classic, a bullet deluxe, a pristine RD350 and now a major to complement them all. Admire your taste and passion, maybe you could upload a couple of pictures here for us to drool over.

Any modifications planned for the Major? Why do you want to sell your classic? I think many people here were looking for a classic, have you sold it yet? Please keep us posted on your Major.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed