Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2010, 20:36   #346
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@samurai:

The taxi market in Kerala was never sold on the MM540 even during it was available. The International and later DI engined CJ/CL500/Major has always been the preferred choice due to it's simplicity and low maintenance/running costs. The general/rural/taxi market wont' appreciate the finesse/power of the Thar. They will think it is a relaunched MM540 which was never popular.

In my view the Bolero Invader will be killed as it is prime candidate for Thar replacement, but Major will continue with an updated engine. It is the staple vehicle for a huge jeep market like kerala. When I drive to my estates in Kumily, I see a lot of new Major's but hardly any Invaders except with the Kerala Police. If I see an Invader it is typically driven by a younger/private owner than taxi operatior. This is why I feel Thar will kill the Invader but no the Major as the market segment is very different and the buyers of the Major have a very different view of what they want from their vehicles that what most of us leisure users want.
Old 23rd January 2010, 22:59   #347
BHPian

If Major is discontinued it would be sad. Anyways Samurai I didn't know Major was BSII, so could be just my dreams, but if M&M decide to upgrade to BSIII then colors should be offered. Let us not leave Behram sir to take rest he he.

No doubt Thar is great but, if somebody want to buy just a simple basic jeep at a lower price only Major is the option.

OT if Thar replaces it, the price should hopefully be close to Major

Regards

Pranav
Old 23rd January 2010, 23:22   #348
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
you didnt notice it?

on a serious note, give it a transplant by puttin in xylo's CRDe engine in it, i guess which is BS 3/4 compliant!
Have they ever fitted a CRDe engine in a CL500 chassis or in a leaf spring setup? Is this as easy as plug-n-play? If not, it is a whole new ball game of R&D.

Haven't they undergone the same rigmarole while deciding the Thar setup?
Old 4th February 2010, 13:54   #349
BHPian

A few days before i saw the march of 26majors in the MM showroom in CUDDALORE . when i went to there and enquired about it they said NLC(neyveli) has ordered for those. They looked stunning and the only thing i regretted is, its not a SWB but a MWB!
Old 5th February 2010, 06:32   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Most likey Thar is the replacement for Major.
Impossible.

The Major is currently sold at 3 price points below what the Thar is being positioned and that segment is TOO LARGE for Mahindra to just throw away.

Plus I think Mahindra is positioning Thar as a yuppie-toy and wouldnt want it to be even seen/confused as a taxi. Mahindra is too plugged in to Indian markets to make the mistake that Toyota did with the Qualis.

Therefore I am pretty sure that a Major 4x4 replacement and in that price point (4.50L to 5.00L) complying to the 2010 emission targets IS on the cards and will be out by May.

Just my Rs. 2.

Remember I asked Mr.Dhabhar this on the Blr OTR?

[ADDED] Isnt the Major already available in BS3? BS2: XDP engine, BS3: DI engine?

Last edited by COUGAR : 5th February 2010 at 06:36.
Old 5th February 2010, 11:53   #351
Senior - BHPian

MahindraMajor will get BSIII engine and will be continued. Major's primary market is rural area and there BSIII is in effect. MDI turbo is capable of meeting BSIII. Hence no chance of discontinuing major.

In cities it can be registered outside the municipal areas. This will be registerered the same way Bolero SLX 4wd was registered by dealers.

So guys, the real jeep is still around for some itme

@cougar- Major now is available only in BSII with DI turbo. XD3p is not even an option.

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 5th February 2010 at 12:11.
Old 5th February 2010, 12:05   #352
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
MDI turbo is capable of meeting BSIII. Hence no chance of discontinuing major.
I quite agree. If Tata could upgrade their 3 L DI to BS III I don't see why M&M can't
Old 5th February 2010, 15:03   #353
BHPian

Hi guys,
The major look amazing in red colour.Just the day before yesterday i saw around 4 to 5 majors in red colour delivered to the goa life guards at the beach.
cheers
Old 5th February 2010, 17:40   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallystar View Post
Hi guys,
The major look amazing in red colour.Just the day before yesterday i saw around 4 to 5 majors in red colour delivered to the goa life guards at the beach.
cheers
Can you post pics of those jeeps? I thought red looked best on classic!
Old 10th February 2010, 09:42   #355
Senior - BHPian

For any of you planning to buy a Major 4x4, this is the right time to get your hands on one, or it may be too late,

Spike
Old 10th February 2010, 11:59   #356
Senior - BHPian

Major a extinct specie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
For any of you planning to buy a Major 4x4, this is the right time to get your hands on one, or it may be too late,

Spike

Spike,
Is major not going through BS III upgrade?
Old 10th February 2010, 14:35   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spike,
Is major not going through BS III upgrade?
It is possible and already achieved, but for some reasons it is going extinct, as of now future is bleak for Major

Spike
Old 10th February 2010, 14:44   #358
Senior - BHPian

Major is near extinction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
It is possible and already achieved, but for some reasons it is going extinct, as of now future is bleak for Major

Spike
That's really sad!! The legendary face is going to fade away? Not a good news at all:-((

P.s- Will Naya Commander (LWB) keep coming off the assembly line?

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 10th February 2010 at 14:46.
Old 10th February 2010, 16:38   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's really sad!! The legendary face is going to fade away? Not a good news at all:-((

P.s- Will Naya Commander (LWB) keep coming off the assembly line?
I don't know, God alone knows along with a few others

Spike
Old 10th February 2010, 17:43   #360
Senior - BHPian

@VN / Spike: I think its good to fade out the Major: how long can a company sell outdated products?

If India did not enforce restrictions via emissions and PUC, we would NOT have had much modern cars and maybe still fighting with the Ambys, Fiats, and Maruti 800s.

@VN: Why dont you start a THREAD for maybe a SWB SCORPIO? Would it not be great to have a machine with such amazing power to weight / torque to weight, winches and LSD Front and Rear?

I will definitely contribute to it
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks