Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2010, 23:15   #376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
@offroad maniac you are wrong, a prototype is something made to simulate a concept, can be functional/non functional, few body panels are common with esteem but the DAC is from M&M's stable, also this is not a training project

Spike
Heyy I was just acting funny with my last few lines regarding the projects.. so easy.

what is the DAC ? I mean.. I only tried to answer the questions that you asked in main post about recognizing the vehicle in pic.
Also I didnt know if it was Mahindra's original design or not. For me , at that time the front looked like that of JEEP Grand Cherokee. Hence my comments.

You saying few body panels are common with esteem, I thought the body panels are attached TO Esteem. I dont really understand the designing & customizing part. So excuse my comments.
May be again I am wrong.
Old 13th February 2010, 11:42   #377
Senior - BHPian

@offroad maniac your comments are taken in good sense, DAC means "Drive Away Chassis", the vehicle in picture has a body on frame (Ladder type construction). Hope this clarifies,

Spike
Old 13th February 2010, 12:21   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
@offroad maniac your comments are taken in good sense, DAC means "Drive Away Chassis", the vehicle in picture has a body on frame (Ladder type construction). Hope this clarifies,

Spike
Oh.. thats just unbelievable. It has got a pretty low stance for being body on frame.
Old 13th February 2010, 14:43   #379
Senior - BHPian

@offroad maniac this is just one of things that we keep on doing at the "Protoshop".
Hope i am much clearer now

Spike
Old 13th February 2010, 17:38   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Arka - the Mitsubishi engine you mention was the second engine fitted by me on "Iran vehicle", LHD (the body came from Iran with "Shahbaaz-E-Iran" written in persian on the tailgate, mechanicals were ours) in R&D in early 1981. I first had the F4134, 3 speed on it. With the F4, we (3 of us) started from Mumbai on the evening of 11 August 1981 for Jaisalmer. We reached Jaisalmer on 14 August 1981, started testing on 15 August 1981 and returned to Mumbai on 27 August 1981. The registration number was MMG7627. It was a white vehicle with a brown top. The Mitsubishi engine configuration was 4G54 and it developed 102 BHP, not 166 BHP. It had SOHC / double barrel carburettor. We fitted it with the KMT904WD. The clutch became cable operated (first time in M&M). The second "Iran body" came to us in May 1982. It was registered as MXZ8702 (Nasik). This was a blue vehicle with a white top. This was with the Mitsubishi 4G54 but with the original Mitsubishi transmission which had the slave cylinder attached to the bell housing. As we did not have a clutch master cylinder at that time (I am talking 1982, remember), we converted the prototype to run a cable operated clutch. One such vehicle was given to the then PM in 1985 but this was on the MM540 base. One such vehicle, again with MM540 base was driven by Farad Bhathena in the first Raid De Himalaya in 1989. It was a 1988 registered BLD something vehicle (Mumbai registration). It won the raid outright with a huge margin. There was just no competition. Check the raid records, you will find out. All these vehicles were BOMBS.

I AM AWARE OF ALL THIS AS IF IT ALL HAPPENED YESTERDAY. THAT'S WHY I AM DOING THE THAR. LET SOMEBODY TAKE IT FOR THE RAID DE HIMALAYA NOW AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. WHAT DO YOU THINK I AM UP TO? ALAS, THOSE WERE GLORIOUS DAYS! I WISH - I WISH - I WISH, BUT I CAN ONLY WISH! BUT NOWADAYS?

In pre 1983 vehicles, there were separate firewalls, one for the F4134 (straight) and 1 for the diesels (at an angle, bent backwards), the limiting engine not being MD2350 but Simpsons P4. You will recall that the exhaust pipe of the Simpsons curved 180 degrees, right? Yes, I did that work also. If such a fierewall was made today, WOULD WE MEET NOISE NORMS? Think about it.

You are also talking about "dry sump". Well, to put things in perspective, I have worked a lot on it. I'll just leave it at that.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS - you are welcome to give comments on our activities as it feels nice to share information with people who really know things but we would like to humbly state that we also happen to know our job pretty well..

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th July 2010 at 03:12. Reason: Removed extra smilie
Old 15th February 2010, 00:13   #381
BHPian

So, whats the fate o Major? Mahindra is known worldwide as a only maker of CJ series Jeep. Know this image will be gone. Not good for off road enthusiasts.
Old 15th February 2010, 11:51   #382
Senior - BHPian

Norms

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
you are welcome to give comments on our activities as it feels nice to share information with people who really know things but we would like to humbly state that we also happen to know our job pretty well..
Hello Sir,

Please share a few details about the chassis modifications done to those vehicles.
i) CJ3B
ii) MM540

IIRC the Stock chassis is not designed for such BHP figures. That was one of your arguments for not fitting a bigger (BHP/Torque) engine in the NGCS MM550XD.

The NGCS MM550XD is inspired from the JEEP YJ Wrangler and those carried 160bhp 6cyl petrol engines.

If and When, the NGCS MM550 is launched for the Civilians or commercially available, I will personally visit you and your team, and congratulate you for not killing, THE BEST 4x4 MADE IN INDIA.

We most certainly admire M&M as JEEP & tractor manufacturers, and respect the engineers for giving us wonderful vehicles, namely the M&M ARJUN.

Specs
i) 9hp Lombardini Engine
ii) T-90 Gearbox
iii) Ambassador Front & Rear Axle
iii) CJ3B Leaf Spring

Does that pass emission & safety norms, it marginally better than the "Marutha" /JUGAAD made in Punjab, these run in Chennai as Share-Taxis.

Also the early M&M Tourister
S4 with Isuzu 5 Speed gearbox, how many complaints of gearbox failure has the company received?
I have seen my mechanic convert 4 of them to KMT90.

IIRC there are 2 Legal Cases against M&M for the Scorpio DANA44 30 Spline One-Piece Semi-Floating Rear Axle failure, causing loss of life.

I'm pretty sure that THE "PROTOSHOP" didn't give us these marvels of professional automotive engineering.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Raid-de-Himalaya is not a 4x4 Off-Road event.
Old 15th February 2010, 15:04   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post

If and When, the NGCS MM550 is launched for the Civilians or commercially available, I will personally visit you and your team, and congratulate you for not killing, THE BEST 4x4 MADE IN INDIA.

We most certainly admire M&M as JEEP & tractor manufacturers, and respect the engineers for giving us wonderful vehicles, namely the M&M ARJUN.

Specs
i) 9hp Lombardini Engine
ii) T-90 Gearbox
iii) Ambassador Front & Rear Axle
iii) CJ3B Leaf Spring

Does that pass emission & safety norms, it marginally better than the "Marutha" /JUGAAD made in Punjab, these run in Chennai as Share-Taxis.
Arka,
OT- Are you talking about Arjun or Shan? I think Arjun same with 60 Hp engine
Old 27th July 2010, 15:00   #384
BHPian

I am Planning to buy a new mahindra Major 4x4. Today I talked to the Manager of TVS Mahindra Malappuram Showroom He told me that The Current showroom Price is Rs 496800.00.No color chioce Only One color is available Mahindra Gray and the waiting period is almost 2 months.I hope I can cell my CJ500 4WD within 2 months

Any way I am going to book the jeep by tomorrow the booking charge is
Rs 10000.

Last edited by GTO : 28th July 2010 at 14:12. Reason: STRICTLY no more than 2 smileys per post please
sreejeshmp is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th July 2010, 16:49   #385
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
I am Planning to buy a new mahindra Major 4x4. Today I talked to the Manager of TVS Mahindra Malappuram Showroom He told me that The Current showroom Price is Rs 496800.00.No color chioce Only One color is available Mahindra Gray and the waiting period is almost 2 months.I hope I can cell my CJ500 4WD within 2 months
Hi Sreejesh, What are you going to use it for? If it is going to be private use, I suggest wait for the Mahindra Thar. It will be much more comfy/drivable for private use. If you plan to use it for commercial/load carrying then CJ500 will be fine. Regarding the color, I bought a 4x4 scorpio and had to pick either black or white . No other color is offered despite the fact that they make the 4x4 Scorpio only against order, so I guess the factory is scared to put a 4x4 system in any other color besides black or white

Last edited by GTO : 28th July 2010 at 14:12. Reason: Removing extra smiley from quoted post
Old 27th July 2010, 19:12   #386
BHPian

Hi 4x4,

I am using my jeep as a daily vehicle (for High way I have a Scorpio and a Lancer LE)my average daily travel <5 km .To the factory and back to home and some times a visit to the farms where only a 4x4 can go. Some times for load carrying.(I have a mahindra pick-up too) for this a cj500 4wd is enough.

Why a Major 4x4 ?!

The OTRs .Major has a good Engine transmission fuel efficiency and a disk break too!! So i can use it a general purpose vehicle and I can Join you guys
at Munnar,Ooty Bangalore list goes.

I believe major is a good Platform for Future build up and I can Keep it as JEEP.

Thar is a great vehicle((Only Engine,Gear box and suspenssion) but different breed. Spending 7-8 lack rupees and get a vehicle with no fit and finish still the old mm540 doors and the cheap looking rear,no removable soft top (like Wrangler)and so on . so no Thar.

Last edited by GTO : 28th July 2010 at 14:13. Reason: Removing extra smileys
Old 3rd August 2010, 17:22   #387
BHPian

I booked the Jeep at Mahindra new dealer at Ramanattukara,Calicut.The showroom price is 499000. I have to wait for 2 months to get it
Old 29th August 2010, 15:09   #388
BHPian

Hi guys, I own a major 4*4, 2009 model. I haven't done any modifications yet. But I am planning to reduce the kerb weight of the vehicle by removing all the unwanted components such a back seat, back door, steps etc. I do not wish to do neither anything on the engine to increase performance nor the chassis to reduce weight. Is there anyone who agrees with me and do the same? Can anybody suggest what all more can be done for weight reduction?
Old 29th August 2010, 15:44   #389
Senior - BHPian

^ How much weight reduction will you achieve by removing only the seat? If you have plans to reduce chassis weight by material reduction it is a strict NO, BTW how do you intend to reduce chassis weight?

Spike
Old 29th August 2010, 15:52   #390
Senior - BHPian

@ spike mithunvvijayan dose not want to alter chassis or engine.
& he said unwanted things will be removed as rear seat, rear door, side steps etc.

Last edited by jeepster : 29th August 2010 at 15:56.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks