Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2010, 17:43   #391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post

Thar is a great vehicle((Only Engine,Gear box and suspenssion) but different breed. Spending 7-8 lack rupees and get a vehicle with no fit and finish still the old mm540 doors and the cheap looking rear,no removable soft top (like Wrangler)and so on . so no Thar.

I tend to agree with you buddy.

IMO if THAR exceeds 5L, then it will be interesting to watch the numbers game.

Whatever the technology, INDIA is a cost conscious market!!
Old 29th August 2010, 22:53   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Whatever the technology, INDIA is a cost conscious market!!
I agree. But people are also ready to pay for the technology. How much is the real question.

Quote:
Hi 4x4,
I believe major is a good Platform for Future build up and I can Keep it as JEEP.

Thar is a great vehicle((Only Engine,Gear box and suspenssion) but different breed. Spending 7-8 lack rupees and get a vehicle with no fit and finish still the old mm540 doors and the cheap looking rear,no removable soft top (like Wrangler)and so on . so no Thar.
Sreejeshmp,
Congratulations on booking a Mahindra Major 4x4. You will have true classic jeep in your hands as you know production of this jeep is soon to be stopped. Mahindra Major is very close to my heart. I love this vehicle. It is very simple and effective.
THAR and Major are different animals all together. Major is cheap and effective THAR is a powerful go any where platform. Both have their own plus points.
Congrats again on your new Major 4x4.

p.s- We are coming to Wayanad for MGE next month. If close by please do participate. I will give you a TD of THAR. You will then know what it is and what it is not
Old 29th August 2010, 23:42   #393
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I booked the Jeep at Mahindra new dealer at Ramanattukara,Calicut.The showroom price is 499000. I have to wait for 2 months to get it
I thought it was not possible to buy brand new BS2 vehicle anymore. How are they managing to sell a BS2 Major now?
Old 30th August 2010, 00:01   #394
BHPian

No, I do not want to do anything with the chassis. But if there were any methods by which i can improve the performance without modding the engine. I drive the vehicle solo, so I can do without the back seats, steps etc. I have found out that the jeep is short geared, the whole ratios can be stretched a little bit more, if we are not loading the vehicle. The only way to do it is I think is to increase the rim size about 3 inches to 19 or 20 inches, keeping the profile of the tire the same. We might need to find alloys with lesser weight to offset the added girth. This will help to use the available torque at low rpms. for climbing, we can use the 2L gear, if needed.
Old 30th August 2010, 07:44   #395
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
But if there were any methods by which i can improve the performance without modding the engine. I drive the vehicle solo, so I can do without the back seats, steps etc. I have found out that the jeep is short geared, the whole ratios can be stretched a little bit more, if we are not loading the vehicle. The only way to do it is I think is to increase the rim size about 3 inches to 19 or 20 inches, keeping the profile of the tire the same. We might need to find alloys with lesser weight to offset the added girth. This will help to use the available torque at low rpms. for climbing, we can use the 2L gear, if needed.

Just change the axle ratio from 3.73 to 4.27 and your problem will be solved. Do not attempt changing rims into 19/20 inches.
Old 30th August 2010, 09:50   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
I agree. But people are also ready to pay for the technology. How much is the real question.

Sreejeshmp,
Congratulations on booking a Mahindra Major 4x4. You will have true classic jeep in your hands as you know production of this jeep is soon to be stopped. Mahindra Major is very close to my heart. I love this vehicle. It is very simple and effective.
THAR and Major are different animals all together. Major is cheap and effective THAR is a powerful go any where platform. Both have their own plus points.
Congrats again on your new Major 4x4.

p.s- We are coming to Wayanad for MGE next month. If close by please do participate. I will give you a TD of THAR. You will then know what it is and what it is not

vinod,

I am still waiting for my Jeep. Last week I got one call from the sales executive regarding the next payment.He says that Major 4x4 is made by order so I have to pay Rs100000.00 when the build is over.Mahindra will dispatch the vehicle only after getting this 1 lakh rupees after that I can't cancel the booking.Expected delivery is on first week of October.

Is it true that mahindra stopping the Jeep ?!

I will be there at Wayanad on right time But Most probably with out my jeep but I can meet all you BHPians. My Plan was attend the MGE wayanad but I kept my CJ500 for for sale and I will not get my new Major on next month.But I registered for Ooty MGE.

Thank you for the TD offer of THAR I will be there.
- Sreejesh
Old 30th August 2010, 10:02   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am still waiting for my Jeep. Last week I got one call from the sales executive regarding the next payment.He says that Major 4x4 is made by order so I have to pay Rs100000.00 when the build is over.Mahindra will dispatch the vehicle only after getting this 1 lakh rupees after that I can't cancel the booking.Expected delivery is on first week of October.

Is it true that mahindra stopping the Jeep ?!
Hi Sreejesh,

NO, Mahindra is not. 4wds are usually made in a lot (in batches of at-least 10). Do you think a manufacturer will need 1 lakh rupees to get a vehicle made? The dealer is talking crap. PM me in case you need any help. I will put you through a Sales guy (looking after Kerala region), he is also a mallu

Spike

PS- BTW which color have you booked?
Old 30th August 2010, 10:16   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
...NO, Mahindra is not. 4wds are usually made in a lot (in batches of at-least 10)....
Hi, SPIKE ARRESTOR, Is the Major4X4 available in BS3, and what about future plans? There are rumours about it being discontinued due to BS4 regulations coming up all over.
Old 30th August 2010, 10:29   #399
Team-BHP Support

Rumours? How can Mahindra Major, which is BS2 can be sold anywhere? The regulation came into effect in April 2010.
Old 30th August 2010, 10:30   #400
Senior - BHPian

^^ Hi BT, Major is not available. There is a notification regarding BS-3 implementation dates which starts from October 2010. Let the rumors come to an end.. Hope you got the drift.

Spike

PS- Sam, don't know about your below query

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 30th August 2010 at 10:39. Reason: edited to avoid back to back posts
Old 30th August 2010, 10:33   #401
Team-BHP Support

There is a strong rumour of MM550 making a come back with BS3 MDI engine. Let's hope that will happen.
Old 30th August 2010, 10:42   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
... Hope you got the drift..
Ok, got it

I have driven a Major4X4 recently (though on-road only), and I immediately liked it a lot. The only issue that I see : difficulty in making a nice-looking front door set. The DI Turbo is an amazing match for this vehicle. I would like to own one of these, but guess that can remain only a dream for now. If MM decide to upgrade the engine and make it available few years from now, I probably would buy one new, if only to own a piece of modern Indian Jeep history.

PS: For those who find 'modern' and 'history' in the same line sounding like bad English...It is a Jeep thing .

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 30th August 2010 at 10:45.
Old 30th August 2010, 10:51   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
There is a strong rumour of MM550 making a come back with BS3 MDI engine. Let's hope that will happen.
a rumour is a rumour, strong or weak!

i thought Major and Invador has made way for THAR in a DI engine in 550 avtar!
Old 30th August 2010, 11:11   #404
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
a rumour is a rumour, strong or weak!

i thought Major and Invador has made way for THAR in a DI engine in 550 avtar!
You are wrong on both count.

For me, if the source is very reliable, it is a strong rumour.

The rural market won't buy CRDi engines or pay 7L+ on farm workhorses. Major does need a replacement, and that is not Thar.
Old 30th August 2010, 11:52   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Is there any chance within 6 months ? I am confused.If MM550 coming with a BS3 MDI engine that will be a nice Buy but what about the price?.

No I am not changing my mind. Following what Blue Thunder told "a modern historical Jeep".

Last edited by sreejeshmp : 30th August 2010 at 11:55.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed