Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2008, 20:56   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Spitfire, can you confirm that your friends Major has the 5 plus reverse gears??
Old 3rd April 2008, 23:41   #32
BHPian

Placement of the gear lever as in the photo suggests that it is a 5+R. And even shifting of 4H and 4L from 2H are in one line.
This has started to come in MM550s since 2007 models.
Old 3rd April 2008, 23:44   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
If you ask me the only thing lacking in a Bolero Invader is the classic jeep look. I even considered the crazy idea of buying a new GLX and swapping out the body with my MM540. I get the benefit of a brand new power train and the classic jeep look. I just haven't had the time to do further research on what mods I need to do a body swap between an MM540 and Invader, but don't be surprised if you see Invader MM540 hybrid in my garage in the future.
How about plonking a SZ2600 in there - I am sure its easier to get one of these used engines and you would get more top end speed. maybe offroading wont be as much fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Yup, brand new indeed. Here is a picture of it next to the 1.8 petrol which was just removed.
GTO - This is the first time I am hearing of a brand new engine being put into a Jeep. GTO you need to give us a preview of the WIP.

Also how much did it cost? if I may ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Someone i know got a Mahindra Major 4WD with the turbo engine. Pics below:
Classic Looks ! Pics of the engine bay please.
Old 3rd April 2008, 23:45   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
This has started to come in MM550s since 2007 models.
2007 This means I have to wait until 2013 before I see these jeeps in Army auctions??
Old 3rd April 2008, 23:51   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

I also want to add that in Kerala if you drive a Major, CJ500 etc, there's a huge image problem. Once you hit the high ranges in Kumily or Waynad, every taxi is a CJ500/Major. There are thousands of them.

It will be as cool as driving a White Tata Sumo Spacio/Victa down Electronic City after the closing bell !!
Old 4th April 2008, 00:30   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2007 This means I have to wait until 2013 before I see these jeeps in Army auctions??
Hehehe.. Someone tell me what you would get in the Army auctions now and for how much? (please dont tell me Gypsy)
Old 4th April 2008, 08:47   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
How about plonking a SZ2600 in there - I am sure its easier to get one of these used engines and you would get more top end speed. maybe offroading wont be as much fun.
There are a lot of chasis improvements in the New Generation Chasis. But I suppose, I could consider this as an option. Not sure if the bell housing will fit the KMT90 gear box or I will also have to buy the NGT30 transmission to match with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Hehehe.. Someone tell me what you would get in the Army auctions now and for how much? (please dont tell me Gypsy)
Right now most MM550s being sold in the Army auctions in delhi are 2000 model year. That's why I am guessing that 2007 MM550s with the five speed will start showing up by about 2013.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 4th April 2008 at 08:51.
Old 4th April 2008, 11:07   #38
Senior - BHPian

hi, samurai

CL 500 DI is definately feels torquey than Major with 5 speed gearbox and a tubo engine. But on Paper Major has better torque figures. If iam not wrong CL500 Di had 16.5 kgm with DI super engine as low as 1500-1800 Rpm. In major u need to rev engine a bit to get the torque flowing. The advantage with new engine is that it revs higher than the previous models way up to 3,500 rpm. The older engines were low reving engines and inspite of torque they could generate less momentum/ speed on terrain like sand. CL 500 & 550 has differ in seating capacity.

4x4 addict,

The XD3p turbo isnt available in India. Plus this engine as it is troublesome. Mahindra has withdrawn it in south africa and now offer scorpios derated engine (Non CRde) across scorpio & bolero range in south africa
Old 4th April 2008, 11:18   #39
Senior - BHPian

spitfire,

Thanks for posting lovely pics of Major 4x4. Now these vehicles come with 3 years drive line warranty and this should make up to peace of mind!!
The only sore point is high set paddles, large turing radius, highly inconvenient to get in & out in front seats. Top can be modified to ease getting in and out of vehicle. Plus the vehicle doesnt get a seat recliner. Driver seat can be adjusted for length only. Codriver seat does have any such facility. Codriver seat is comfortable as u have some legroom to spare for but the driver seat is really cramped especially if you are well built and a six fotter. The gear lever does fall into hand easily and you will have to streatch yourself to engagae it.

Having said that gears are smooth and transfercase is breeze to operate. The vehicle doesnt rattle at all after years of abuse , only noise what u would get is from your flapping top. Watch out for scrapping the catalytic converter while off roading as it is set too low in RH side of chassis just below the drivers seat.
Parts are available everywhere and if maintained well you may have to go to workshop only for oil change.
Old 4th April 2008, 11:33   #40
Senior - BHPian

CJ4/CJ4A/CJ500D/CL550/Major - Stretched CJ3B Series

Hi Guys,

The Stretched CJ3B Series in My opinion are the REAL INDIAN JEEPs.
The CJ3B upto the CLASSIC have been a copy of the American CJ3Bs

The MM540 Series came down from Korea.

The CJ3B Stretched has been M & M innovation, this has been copied by licensed JEEP makers all over the world, by EBRO in Spain, Hotchkiss in France & Mitsubishi in Japan.

Unfortunately it does not look very appealing hence it has gone into disrepute.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2008, 11:44   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
ARKA, VINOD, 4X4 - Any knowledge about the Major Price break up in your towns, Last time i Checked in India Garage St.Marks Road bangalore, they looked at me like some kind of a Jean's wearing Farmer - Hated their customer handling skills. With great effort I learnt its some where near 5L oTR.

invader is too expensive over the major - 1L approx and too few on the road and surely lack's the charecter of a CJ Derived Major.

----Guys looking for some techinfo about this major and its cousins---

DPC Motors Pvt. Ltd. - Authorised Dealer for MAHINDRA & MAHINDRA Vehicles look into products
DPC Motors Pvt. Ltd. - Authorised Dealer for MAHINDRA & MAHINDRA Vehicles
Mahindra CDR650 - Silver Jubilee Motors - Authorised dealers for Mahindra & Mahindra's vehicles in Maharashtra. INDIA
Mahindra INVADER - Silver Jubilee Motors - Authorised dealers for Mahindra & Mahindra's vehicles in Maharashtra. INDIA
Mahindra CL 500 - Silver Jubilee Motors - Authorised dealers for Mahindra & Mahindra's vehicles in Maharashtra. INDIA
Details of Mahindra CL 500 4WD ST
KS GROUP,Jaipur,India,Automobile Dealer,Sales,Services,Ford,Mahindra,TVS,Tafe,Cars, Jeeps,Ambulance,Tractors,Mobikes,Mopeds,Motorcycle s search under products

---------

sadly none of them have real information about Major.! Anyone owns a major in tBHP? got a brochure? Please scan and load it here.

The problem with Mahindra dealers is that they come across very few 4x4 lovers to buy thier vehicles. Some dealers dont sell a 4x4 for years together. Hence they generally try to discourage you on a 4x4 model as they have to take extra pains to find out current prevalent prices.

Plus Mahindra major is a product with monopoly in softtops. Hence the staff do not care much. Further Mahindra has divided thier dealers in Prosper & personal segments. Mojor comes into prosper segment which mostly deals with commercial vehicles, hence the staff is also little less professional.

For a good info on prices and specs...get in touch with Mahindra local area office
Old 4th April 2008, 11:57   #42
BHPian

A small Questions for 4X4 guru's:

Do 4X4's manufactured by Mahindra Come with a Differential Lock(Front,Central or Rear).
Old 4th April 2008, 11:58   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
The problem with Mahindra dealers is that they come across very few 4x4 lovers to buy thier vehicles. Some dealers dont sell a 4x4 for years together. Hence they generally try to discourage you on a 4x4 model as they have to take extra pains to find out current prevalent prices.
This is so true Vinod. I was at the Kottayam dealer a few months back to get a price on an Invader 4x4 and the chap was like:

"Sir, why do you need 4x4? It's a waste of money. The two wheel drive version will go everywhere !!"
Old 4th April 2008, 11:59   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post

Plus Mahindra major is a product with monopoly in softtops. Hence the staff do not care much. Further Mahindra has divided thier dealers in Prosper & personal segments. Mojor comes into prosper segment which mostly deals with commercial vehicles, hence the staff is also little less professional.

For a good info on prices and specs...get in touch with Mahindra local area office
Dont really agree on that. It may be in the major cities that folks do not buy the 4x4 versions of the Mahindra group. But in rural areas a lot of 4x4 are being sold.

There has been a lot of interest being shown in the Major. I will post all details regarding the Major on Monday. I am getting a proper test drive for the whole day and probably take it offroad some place to see how it performs.
Old 4th April 2008, 12:02   #45
BANNED

Quote:
"Sir, why do you need 4x4? It's a waste of money. The two wheel drive version will go everywhere !!"
Wrong dealer you shouldnt be going to him.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed