Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2008, 17:09   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Rigid axle and independent suspension concepts are different. The defender in picture has rigid set up, and picture was suggesting axle wrticuation. IFS means both the wheels are suspended independent of each other with no common link. The movement of one, doesnt effect the other like in Bolero 2wd.
Beautiful and clear explanation, vinod_nookala
Old 8th April 2008, 17:12   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
i can't. I am not an engineer.

we are messing things up. I think you are talking about trans-axle on multi link suspension?

No SirAlec,

I was explaining that your statement "Rigid axle doesn't mean you can't have independent suspension" is incorrect. Hence the further explanation that rigid axle and independent suspension do not go together:-) They both are different in principle.
Old 8th April 2008, 17:14   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Rigid axle and independent suspension are mutually exclusive : let us not confuse coil-spring suspensions with independent suspensions
Ofcourse they are. you don't need to bang your head on that...
Old 8th April 2008, 17:32   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Thank you SirAlec, can you pl tell me the different suspension setups possible on a 4wD machine?

Headers,
multiple types of suspension arangements are possible on a
4wd machine. it can range from a rigid axle/leaf springs to
rigid axle/coil spring to a independent multilink/ coil spring
cv shaft setup, depending on application. and from here starts
the myriad maze of lift kits and suspension upgrades..
what exactly do you have in mind??
cheers
Old 8th April 2008, 18:10   #110
Senior - BHPian

Return flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
@dirtydan

You are wrong. What you have written is pure imagination/fabrication and if i may say so..Junk!.

FOrd sold Land Rover because of a million other Bigger reasons THAN 'quality issues on LR and its subsequent impact in North America!!'

Infact last three years have seen record sales of LR!

Elito
From the late 1980s thru the 1990s LR Ford dealerships in North America were so inundated with warranty work from having to work on Land Rovers that many service personel quit because they made only half salary on warranty work and more than a few dealerships went out of business. LRs were a North American joke, the informed people did not buy them. They looked good and ran bad. Uninformed people bought them for their looks. The fact that they have enjoyed some "record sales" recently is explained by the fact that their sales have been way down for many years. 'Tis you, sir, who know not whereof you speak. Use your head. Would they sell a money maker? Wake up and smell the motor oil, my friend.
Old 8th April 2008, 19:23   #111
Team-BHP Support

The first time somebody explained the difference between solid axle and independent suspension to me was Mona Lisa Vito, in My Cousin Vinny. She even got a Oscar for it.

Mona Lisa Vito (Character) - Quotes (search for Independent Suspension on that page)
Old 8th April 2008, 19:29   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Use your head. Would they sell a money maker? Wake up and smell the motor oil, my friend.
I am not sure if you guys recall but Honda first bought Rover and tried to turn it around. They then sold Rover to BMW who failed again. The then CEO of BMW was fired shortly after. BMW then sold the Rover car business to some private equity group and the Land Rover business to Ford. The latest Range Rover that you see in the West and in India was a BMW product. After ford bought it they dropped the BMW 4.4 V8 and put a modified Jaguar V8 in the Range Rover.
Old 8th April 2008, 19:41   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The first time somebody explained the difference between solid axle and independent suspension to me was Mona Lisa Vito, in My Cousin Vinny. She even got a Oscar for it.

Mona Lisa Vito (Character) - Quotes (search for Independent Suspension on that page)
Hah! One of my favorite all time movies!
Old 8th April 2008, 19:43   #114
Senior - BHPian

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I am not sure if you guys recall but Honda first bought Rover and tried to turn it around. They then sold Rover to BMW who failed again. The then CEO of BMW was fired shortly after. BMW then sold the Rover car business to some private equity group and the Land Rover business to Ford. The latest Range Rover that you see in the West and in India was a BMW product. After ford bought it they dropped the BMW 4.4 V8 and put a modified Jaguar V8 in the Range Rover.
Thanks for the update. They've been passing that thing around like it was a dead mongoose.
Old 8th April 2008, 22:24   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
@dirtydan

You are wrong. What you have written is pure imagination/fabrication and if i may say so..Junk!.

FOrd sold Land Rover because of a million other Bigger reasons THAN 'quality issues on LR and its subsequent impact in North America!!'

Infact last three years have seen record sales of LR!

Elito
Ratings | J.D. Power
Ratings | J.D. Power

Record sales increase as referred by Elito:
2007 Land Rover 3.4% at 49,550 (2006: 47,774)
By the Numbers: 2007 - Autoblog
2006 Land Rover 3.8% at 47,774 (2005: 46,175)
2006 Toyota 13.8% at 2,220,090 (2005: 1,957,400)
By the Numbers: 2006 - Autoblog

The brand landed last with a rating of 204 problems per 100 vehicles, well below the industry average of 124 ppv
Land Rover explains poor showing in Initial Quality Study - Autoblog
Old 8th April 2008, 23:09   #116
Senior - BHPian

what does that prove?? Land Rover makes bad vehicle??
Old 8th April 2008, 23:31   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
what does that prove?? Land Rover makes bad vehicle??
The Defender is an awesome vehicle and if I were to import a four wheel drive, the current Defender 110 will be my first choice.

But I do want to point out that Landrover does have some fairly significant quality issues. No point denying the fact. I was just responding to eliot11's where she claimed that landrover has no quality problems.
Old 8th April 2008, 23:54   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Defender is an awesome vehicle and if I were to import a four wheel drive, the current Defender 110 will be my first choice.

But I do want to point out that Landrover does have some fairly significant quality issues. No point denying the fact. I was just responding to eliot11's where she claimed that landrover has no quality problems.

Exactly wat I was trying to tell you people all the time. Defender and Series were actual land rovers....!

Due to these vehicle count and their reliability they say 75% of vehicle that left solihull are still alive.
Old 9th April 2008, 11:44   #119
BHPian

Quote:
I was just responding to eliot11's where she claimed that landrover has no quality problems.
What!! when did i say Land Rover does not have quality issues????
Don't be so blind in defending Mahindra that you do not even read others posts properly!!

Its Elito and not Eliot! (too much literature?) And HE not SHE!

Elito
Old 9th April 2008, 11:46   #120
BANNED

I thought this topic was about the Mahindra Major.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed