Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2008, 12:21   #136
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
Luck, yes!
Skill of the driver also required for tackling a situation, no??
It would be a driver/ mechanical error. Otherwise, it is difficult to digest that that both the Classics would be so unlucky!
Most of the Classic's are driven by poser's who go on these drive's without expecting what is in store for them. The Classic is a capable of doing what most other 4x4's available in the Indian market in that price range can do. Just that its not the "ultimate" one. I have driven a friends MM540 which was much better then my Classic when we went climbing the Western Ghats. If anyone knows Olivier in Goa you would have seen his jeep.
Old 10th April 2008, 14:25   #137
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Most of the Classic's are driven by poser's who go on these drive's without expecting what is in store for them.
You can say that again. After the end of a Goan great escape, I asked a fellow Jeeper how his Classic fared. He wasn't happy and complained that despite *engaging* 4x4, he got stuck a couple of times. Guess what? He had NOT locked his wheel hubs and actually did the entire route in 4x2 .

Quote:
I have driven a friends MM540 which was much better then my Classic when we went climbing the Western Ghats.
Unless the 540 had modifications or a bigger engine, I dont see why. Logically, the lighter weight and smaller dimensions of the Classic (wheelbase etc.) would make it a better performer off the road.
Old 10th April 2008, 14:31   #138
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You can say that again. After the end of a Goan great escape, I asked a fellow Jeeper how his Classic fared. He wasn't happy and complained that despite *engaging* 4x4, he got stuck a couple of times. Guess what? He had NOT locked his wheel hubs and actually did the entire route in 4x2 .
The Classics driven in Goa are purely for the poser appeal, some of the owners i know have "never" engaged their 4x4 on the Classic's fearing it would strain the engine or break the chassis???

Quote:
Unless the 540 had modifications or a bigger engine, I dont see why. Logically, the lighter weight and smaller dimensions of the Classic (wheelbase etc.) would make it a better performer off the road.
Well actually nothing had been modified, its just a good enough jeep. Open top with 2 seats and no extra weight added.
Old 10th April 2008, 14:39   #139
Senior - BHPian

where are TD;ing it?

Hello spitfire, where are you TD'ing it? Bangalore? Mind if i joined you? Am around the BTM layout. I once got a offer from India Garage Commercial Vehicles department to go to their Yelahanka Yard and check out one piece, since I did not have the time then, turned it down.

Quote:
Hello svsantosh,

Sorry but i have not being able to get my hands on a TD Major yet. I am a bit hesitant to use my friend's Major on the sort of terrain i could take her. The dealer has promised me a drive this weekend. Hopefully he can make it.

Apologies again, but i will try my best to get a proper onroad, offroad TD done.
Old 10th April 2008, 15:08   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unless the Classics had a driver / mechanical error, I dont see why that should have happened.
The truth comes out in the end. The Classic is really a terrible, terrible off-roading piece of junk. This being the case, GTO, I will be happy to take your "Junker" off your hands for you for the scrap metal price.
Old 10th April 2008, 15:13   #141
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Hello spitfire, where are you TD'ing it? Bangalore? Mind if i joined you? Am around the BTM layout. I once got a offer from India Garage Commercial Vehicles department to go to their Yelahanka Yard and check out one piece, since I did not have the time then, turned it down.
No not in Bangalore, in Goa. I know the folks there. Any testdrive here in Bangalore could be a small drive round the block. If you are really interested and if the offer from India Garage stays i dont mind going to Yellahanka on the weekend to get a short drive. You can have a "look" at the vehicle.
Old 10th April 2008, 15:13   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
The truth comes out in the end. The Classic is really a terrible, terrible off-roading piece of junk. This being the case, GTO, I will be happy to take your "Junker" off your hands for you for the scrap metal price.
I think you got the wrong idea. He prefers to drive his classic rather than his merc. What vehicle do you see in his avatar?
Old 10th April 2008, 17:16   #143
Senior - BHPian

Pity, that offer was a few months ago, not sure If he will entertain me now. And it was not a TD vehicle. Its was a fresh convoy that had arrived from pune.
Quote:
No not in Bangalore, in Goa. I know the folks there. Any testdrive here in Bangalore could be a small drive round the block. If you are really interested and if the offer from India Garage stays i dont mind going to Yellahanka on the weekend to get a short drive. You can have a "look" at the vehicle.
Ps - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...tml#post790890

Experts, I have never heard of this before, what is the meaning of getting down and locking the hub, how do you do it?

Does the Major in question need the same procedure?
Old 10th April 2008, 17:33   #144
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well actually nothing had been modified, its just a good enough jeep. Open top with 2 seats and no extra weight added.
If thats the case, I'd disagree. Due to its shorter dimensions, wheelbase and lighter weight, a stock Classic would be as good as, if not better, an offroader than a stock MM540 (with the same engine). The 2.5 liter ones may be more powerful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
DirtyDan : My Jeep is NOT for sale . You ought to get an infraction for personally attacking my Jeep like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I think you got the wrong idea. He prefers to drive his classic rather than his merc. What vehicle do you see in his avatar?
True, and dont ask me why. Can you explain love?

Quote:
Experts, I have never heard of this before, what is the meaning of getting down and locking the hub, how do you do it?

I dont presume the Major comes with free wheeling hubs as stock fitment. You could add them after-market though.
Old 10th April 2008, 18:01   #145
BANNED

Quote:
If thats the case, I'd disagree. Due to its shorter dimensions, wheelbase and lighter weight, a stock Classic would be as good as, if not better, an offroader than a stock MM540 (with the same engine). The 2.5 liter ones may be more powerful.
I just called him and found out. Its a MM540 XDB so it comes with the 2498cc 72.5 bhp engine with 15.5 kgm of torque. Thats better then the Classic's stock engine. I dont think the weight difference between the MM540 and the Classic is much. The jeep drove quite better then mine over the terrain. We did get stuck but that was when we went for a reco first with one jeep and then got the other down the same route. I think the XDB is as good if not better then the Classic. But then to each his own. I have the Classic so the Classic "ROCKS"
Old 10th April 2008, 18:25   #146
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I just called him and found out. Its a MM540 XDB so it comes with the 2498cc 72.5 bhp engine with 15.5 kgm of torque.
Guess which engine is currently being shoehorned into my Classic? Yup, the same XD3P 2.5 liter 72.5 horse unit.
Old 10th April 2008, 18:33   #147
BHPian

Quote:

For locking a free wheeling hub one has to get down and go to the front hub(both sides) physically to give a rotary movement to the locks for engaging them.

Major does not have a free wheeling hub.
Old 10th April 2008, 18:39   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Guess which engine is currently being shoehorned into my Classic? Yup, the same XD3P 2.5 liter 72.5 horse unit.
Me too in my MM540.

But I am still curious why the army version of the XD3P makes 76 hp and how I can bump up the output to 76 bhp. I know it's like 4 bhp more, but I'll take anything more I can get.
Old 10th April 2008, 21:33   #149
Senior - BHPian

^^Switch to dry type air filter from the oil bath type. We've noticed good power gains in Arka's jeep.
Old 11th April 2008, 09:24   #150
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
But I am still curious why the army version of the XD3P makes 76 hp and how I can bump up the output to 76 bhp. I know it's like 4 bhp more, but I'll take anything more I can get.
They have an oil-cooler. AFAIK, thats the only difference in the two engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
^^Switch to dry type air filter from the oil bath type. We've noticed good power gains in Arka's jeep.
Agreed. Mahindra did the same to my Classic when it was running on XDP 2.1.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed