Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2008, 22:21   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
With those big wide tyres, have you done anything special to the steering?

Looks like it might be a little hard to crank around at low speed....is it?
The wide tires make the steering REALLY heavy at low speeds. If I crank the pressure up to 35 or 40 psi it becomes more manageable.

I destroyed the steering box in my last trip to Leh in July 2007 and had to replace it with a new one recently.

The way it figure it, you might as well as get some exercise while driving this thing. It is good for you and keeps your muscles toned. Going to the gym is so boring sometimes, so just drive the jeep for exercise!
Old 17th May 2008, 22:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

@REDMM340...

this is one amazing jeep bro i wanted to get some thing of this sort... would it be possible to meet up some time...
Old 18th May 2008, 20:58   #33
Senior - BHPian

I like both your mahindras, they look solid, robust and ready to tackle anything.

Looking at your jeeps has convinced me to get one. Will visit Dabwali or Nabha and see if I can pick up something similar. May even print pictures of your jeeps (if you do not mind) to show the jeepwale so I can get one as butch as yours.

Is the AC fitment easy ? Does the engine cope ok ?

Last edited by bigman : 18th May 2008 at 20:59.
Old 18th May 2008, 21:15   #34
Senior - BHPian

^^Ac can be installed,bigman.
Upgrading radiator is recommended.
Old 18th May 2008, 22:52   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Lovely Jeep. Just dont like the Steel hardtop... however I agree its practical.

The A/C is nice touch.. was that a difficult project? or a no brainer? looks like a Amby/Conty kit.

Also dont think you answered this.. Is this an Ex Army Service Vehicle? If so what was the winning bid if I may ask
Ironwolf,
The A/C was done by Car Conditioning in Delhi. The owner, Paramjeet Singh is very competent and does high quality work. Let me know if you want his contact # for any work.

The Blower/evap unit is thermoking made in Japan. Compressor is Sanden 507.

Snorkel: I would like to put in a snorkel if there is someone who sells a nice kit for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Hi Gaurav, Nice touch you have give to your jeep. My MM540 is under renovation and i want to know a bit more about the AC fitting (specially the blower). Infect I am thinking to buy a complete deshboard of Bolero or Armada just for the blower purpose, but I have picked up a better idea.
Desertking,
I personally would advise against a bolero/armada dash and stay with the original metal dash of the MM540. The under dash unit that I have works very well.

If you are willing to drive to Delhi to get the A/C fitted, go to Car Conditioning , C-26 Okhla Phase I. Paramjeet Singh is the owner. He is a bit expensive, but uses all genuine components. No rebuilt compressors, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Holy Cow! Bilstein shocks on a Mahindra! You must really love that thing. Why after market radiator? anything wrong with stock?
Bilsteins are high quality shocks that somewhat compensate for the lousy chassis dynamics of a Jeep. I still need to work on the chassis and suspension for better on road handling.

The aluminum radiator is a double pass racing unit with 2 inch thick core. It was left over from a Red Jeep project so I dropped in the Blue Jeep along with a thermostatically controlled, high flow fan that saves about 5 hp or so over the stock mechanical fan. I can feel a slight improvement in power at the higher rpms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
@REDMM340...

this is one amazing jeep bro i wanted to get some thing of this sort... would it be possible to meet up some time...

Desi,
Any time. I am in Bijwasan, New Delhi, near Palam Vihar. Mobile 987 111 5752.

Regards,

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th May 2008 at 07:35. Reason: Please see "How to quote multiple messages" in the Team-BHP FAQ which you should find on the top bar.
Old 18th May 2008, 23:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Ironwolf,
The A/C was done by Car Conditioning in Delhi. The owner, Paramjeet Singh is very competent and does high quality work. Let me know if you want his contact # for any work.

The Blower/evap unit is thermoking made in Japan. Compressor is Sanden 507.

Snorkel: I would like to put in a snorkel if there is someone who sells a nice kit for it.
Nice job Red.. however Delhi is a long way off and my MM550 dreams on only castles in the sky at the moment.

However this is good information

As for Snorkel, if you want to I am sure there are guys who can get the job custom done if they understand what you want. Is there a Snorkel kit for a Mahindra ? I doubt it.
Old 19th May 2008, 02:14   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Desi,
Any time. I am in Bijwasan, New Delhi, near Palam Vihar. Mobile 987 111 5752.

Regards,
Surely i will give you a call soon... actually i am going to a trip to Leh on the 4th july and this would be on my royal beast and then if every thing goes fine and by gods grace i would be geting a jeep done up and that weould take me up to leh next year..
Old 19th May 2008, 08:21   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

hey,

Have a question on the Bilstiens and Rancho's. What size fits an MM550. Do you have the exact model number? Will they also fit, if I add a two inch lift with an extra leaf?
Old 19th May 2008, 09:35   #39
Senior - BHPian

Nice jeep and nice pictures too.

Can you explain the K&N bit, especially on the performance front.
Old 19th May 2008, 10:24   #40
BHPian

whoaw....thats some Jeep man....very neatly done up...I'am all green eyed with jealously....I wish I could own this one....nice pics dude
Old 19th May 2008, 11:35   #41
Team-BHP Support

awesome jeep RedMM340. Nice pics of the places too. One noobie question - is the roll cage welded to the base of the body or to the chassis?
Old 19th May 2008, 11:46   #42
Senior - BHPian

^^Mostly, its bolted to the body tub.
Old 19th May 2008, 12:44   #43
Senior - BHPian

great work - loved the idea of a K&N on a jeep - 1st time I am seeing one.
Old 19th May 2008, 21:14   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
is the roll cage welded to the base of the body or to the chassis?
Good question BlackPearl. By the way what is the correct way. My jeep is under renovation and I am also going to have the roll over cage starting from B piller, going upto the rear (similar to Mahindra Thar). My dender says that it is good enough to weld on a iron plate and bolt it down on the body (again one iron plate there) but I have my doubt on this as I think it is not strong enought.

EXPERTS......... PLS ADVICE.......
Old 19th May 2008, 22:10   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Good question BlackPearl. By the way what is the correct way. My jeep is under renovation and I am also going to have the roll over cage starting from B piller, going upto the rear (similar to Mahindra Thar). My dender says that it is good enough to weld on a iron plate and bolt it down on the body (again one iron plate there) but I have my doubt on this as I think it is not strong enought.

EXPERTS......... PLS ADVICE.......
The roll cage needs to be a part of the body. The tubing should be welded to a flat steel plate of about 3/8 inch thickness, which in turn is either welded or bolted to the body.

If you want more protection, you add more rollcage tubing with cross braces. High quality, seamless tubing is essential for good strength. Also, good quality welding is very important.

Attaching to a the frame in a Jeep is not recommended as a Jeep chassis will flex , which in turn will cause the tubing to rub against the body .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks