Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2010, 23:28   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Hi Buddy,

That's a great MM 550 you have built for yourself.

I am also in the process of restoring an army disposal MM 550. And need your help in few matters -

1. Hard Top: Where can I get such a top built? I had mailed Raj Kapoor of Noida but he hasn't responded, where did you get yours? And what was the cost?

2. For AC, I will be going to Paramjeet Singh (Car Conditioning) as suggested by you. Any idea about how much it would cost?

3. Are the Bilstein shocks really good? Where can I find these and what is the cost?

4. Will I need the aluminum double pass race radiator with AC? If yes, where and how much? :-)

Will wait for your response.

Thanks

Nitin
Hi Nitin,

1. Raj Kapoor did the hard top. I don't remember the exact price, but he had to modify the roll cage, and did a nice lining on the inside for insulation along with complete inside carpet. Also did a nice paint job. All of this cost about 75K or so. Only part that was not very good is the rear door. Problem is that the door is too heavy and does not stay open even with gas shocks.

2. I don't have the price that I paid for the AC as this was several years ago. Paramjeet has a big shop in Okhla Industrial area, and I would recommend you visit him for a quote.

3. The Bilstein shocks were purchased in the US for about US$300 for a set of 4. Very nice ride, and worked well for a couple of years. However, after my last Manali to Leh trip, I noticed that both front shocks were leaking a lot of oil....which means they are gone. They just could not handle the extreme abuse.

4. The double pass aluminim radiator is not necessary. A more conventional unit will also work. I am currently running a Tata 407 turbo spec radiator. Very large unit that just barely fits, and has 2 high power integrated electric fans. I am running this radiator because I now have a Scorpio 2.6 turbo engine in my 550.
Old 7th January 2010, 23:38   #77
Senior - BHPian

Yeah! i have seen, its featured in his website too. i mean your vehicle.
Old 8th January 2010, 10:14   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Hi Nitin,

1. Raj Kapoor did the hard top. I don't remember the exact price, but he had to modify the roll cage, and did a nice lining on the inside for insulation along with complete inside carpet. Also did a nice paint job. All of this cost about 75K or so. Only part that was not very good is the rear door. Problem is that the door is too heavy and does not stay open even with gas shocks.
Thanx buddy,

The top is integrated really well in your Jeep. Was the paint job for the whole vehicle or for only the top - in that case how did he match the paint so well.

Also I noticed that rear door in your job opens upwards. I'll prefer a simple door, as the original one in MM 550. I think this shoul bring down the cost.

I will go and meet Raj this week-end and will post the outcome.

Cheers

Nitin
Old 8th January 2010, 10:16   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Nitin,

2. I don't have the price that I paid for the AC as this was several years ago. Paramjeet has a big shop in Okhla Industrial area, and I would recommend you visit him for a quote.
Hey Gaurav
I think that the hard top along with the complete paint job, modifying the rollcage and the insulation along with the carpet its quite a good deal.
Not to mention all this come with Raj's expertise and years of experience. Ill pick this anyday.

Would it be possible to PM me on Paramjit's contact details??
I would like to ask if he has done any installations on MPFI Gypsy's and the post installation performance of the vehicle!!!
Old 8th January 2010, 14:14   #80
BHPian

Whitemm550, you have a fantastic looking jeep, dont touch it. Just leave it the way you have it right now. Its nice and clean.
Old 9th January 2010, 18:44   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithvi View Post
Whitemm550, you have a fantastic looking jeep, dont touch it. Just leave it the way you have it right now. Its nice and clean.
I think he sold this vehicle last year and bought a Bolero?
Old 11th January 2010, 23:54   #82
BHPian

Hi Gaurav,
Nice job done. It is an awesome tour jeep and a daily drive. I would suggest extended fender flares, keeping in mind of co road users.
Said and done, your jeep is a beauty.
Old 24th June 2011, 02:34   #83
Senior - BHPian

Re: Modified MM550XDP 4x4 my daily use "car"

Great job on this vehicle as in your Red one buddy.

Quote:
.......I dropped in the Blue Jeep along with a thermostatically controlled, high flow fan that saves about 5 hp or so over the stock mechanical fan. I can feel a slight improvement in power at the higher rpms.
I too considered using a thermo controlled electric fan for the same reasons but opted out for the fear
of failure due to water fording during an otr. What would you say to this? Is this type of setup advised if one could be water fording, several times during an otr?
In that case, would the Tata truck turbo radiator set up with two fans as you had suggested suffice?

Forgetting for a while that we would be water fording, would you suggest that fitting a snorkel be better than a K&N kit?
Old 20th September 2011, 16:11   #84
USR

Quote:
Hi whitemm550,
Glad to hear that you got yourself a 4x4!

Those esteem seats were sourced from Karol Bagh, Delhi many years back, and I would expect that they are easy to find in Delhi. Any large car upholstery shop should be able to get a set of good seats.

Regards,
MAYAPURI is a great place to give a look!!

Well That Jeep has been my wallpaper on the phone on & Off. That a very beautiful jeep you have and i Guess that roll over looks great..Its pratical and its Rugged just like the jeep..

I Stay in Dwarka and I am planing to buy a jeep myself from the army dsposal... Is it ok If I might call you for some details!!! I took you number (If its still the same from the earlier post)

Regards,
USR

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th September 2011 at 17:35. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote+) instead. Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 21:53   #85
BHPian

Re: Modified MM550XDP 4x4 my daily use "car"

Hi RedMM340,

I just went through your MM550 thread and it is indeed a commendable machine. I am thinking of getting a metal hardtop for my Thar and hence bumped into your thread. Can you help me out by sharing your experience with the metal hardtop? Does it need tweaking or makes noise after few years like the FRP hardtops?

Any pointers will be useful.

Thanks

Abhik Banerjee

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks