Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2008, 15:48   #151
Senior - BHPian

More advanced solution - Open the radiator cap - drive - fill up water whenever engine temp touches 110 or 100 C, fill water again and keep going. Just ensure you dont blow the head gasket!

Pl dont put back the radiator cap!

An electric fan in front of the radiator also helps in keeping your engine temp at check!
Old 17th June 2008, 16:21   #152
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
More advanced solution - Open the radiator cap - drive - fill up water whenever engine temp touches 110 or 100 C, fill water again and keep going. Just ensure you dont blow the head gasket!
If the radiator cap is open, there is no pressure, that means the boiling point of water stays at 100C. The water will evaporate at no time.

Actually, I have been told to keep the temp below 90C for this Peugeot 2.1 engine, it will seize very fast at higher temps.
Old 17th June 2008, 17:30   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

This is indeed getting interesting and Samurai you have way of putting your posts and descriptions to pull in all readers...keep it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
18) This makes sure both wheels turn together, what's the name?
Link bar?

Quote:
21) Shock Absorber or Dampner. This dampens sudden movement of the suspended chassis in uneven roads.
The shockers/dampers stop springs from bouncing back (expansion) and not compressing when wheels hit uneven patch. This prevents harmonic vibrations from building up and making vehicle un-controllable. For fun try to drive a car without shocks in place.
Old 17th June 2008, 17:51   #154
Team-BHP Support

I did something today that most people can't do at office. Usually people take coffee break, cigarette break during work.

Half an hour back, I was feeling tense, wanted a break. It was raining hard outside the office, so I thought of having some hot coffee. The office boy was not around, so I went up to check on the coffee machine. They don't keep it on all the time, only at break time, so it was off, temporarily out of commission.

Now what?

And then I had a brilliant idea! How about an off-roading break?

So I stepped out, got on to the Jeep and went off roading in office ground in the rain. I took on a small obstacle I hadn't tried before in GV due to break-over and entry angle issues. I first tried in 2WD mode, the Jeep just slided down half way in the climb. Then I switched to 4WD, it still slided down the rain drenched slope. Now I went low gear, same sliding result.

Ok, I was disappointed, it should have been an easy climb, why is it so tough?

Then it stuck me, LOCKING HUBS! Then I jumped down (rain was light now) and locked it. Now it went up without hesitation. Now I went down same way and drove back into the usual parking spot.

Off-roading break complete.

PS: I didn't forget to disengage the locking hubs after parking.
Old 17th June 2008, 21:26   #155
BHPian

Awesome, you really have become a jeep freak. Beautiful jeep there.
Old 17th June 2008, 21:57   #156
Senior - BHPian

lol thats some nice break you got there Samurai
Old 18th June 2008, 08:32   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did something today that most people can't do at office. Usually people take coffee break, cigarette break during work.

I first tried in 2WD mode, the Jeep just slided down half way in the climb. Then I switched to 4WD, it still slided down the rain drenched slope. Now I went low gear, same sliding result.

Ok, I was disappointed, it should have been an easy climb, why is it so tough?

Then it stuck me, LOCKING HUBS! Then I jumped down (rain was light now) and locked it. Now it went up without hesitation. Now I went down same way and drove back into the usual parking spot.

Off-roading break complete.

PS: I didn't forget to disengage the locking hubs after parking.

Wow thats a great way to unwind. Am sure your batteries were recharged after that! Would be nice if you could post some pictures of that spot for us to get an idea.
Old 18th June 2008, 08:35   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the radiator cap is open, there is no pressure, that means the boiling point of water stays at 100C. The water will evaporate at no time.

Actually, I have been told to keep the temp below 90C for this Peugeot 2.1 engine, it will seize very fast at higher temps.
The coolant in our radiators can go higher than 100 deg C [ I understand water evaporates at 100 C]

The engine will not seize if one keeps topping water every 10 kms or so. Trust me I've done this before! On a Peugeot Engine as well as a 796cc 3 cylinder one!
Old 18th June 2008, 09:45   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Samurai - you can keep the hubs locked even in 2WD mode. As long as you are in 2WD mode, if the hubs are locked, the front propeller shaft will rotate through motion picked up by the front wheels from the road but driveline windup will not occur. Of course it is better to keep the hubs unlocked in normal 2WD mode so as to save on driveline friction and fuel economy.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 18th June 2008, 10:55   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there a possibility in the not-too-distant future, of having to move your office to a new location ?
Old 18th June 2008, 11:52   #161
BANNED

Quote:
The engine will not seize if one keeps topping water every 10 kms or so. Trust me I've done this before! On a Peugeot Engine as well as a 796cc 3 cylinder one!
Is that practical? How about a radiator flush?

Replace/repair the radiator before the engine siezes. This engine dosent take too well to heat. Also check oil consumption.
Old 18th June 2008, 15:46   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Is that practical? How about a radiator flush?

Replace/repair the radiator before the engine siezes. This engine dosent take too well to heat. Also check oil consumption.
The radiator flush is of no use if your radiator is leaking.

That method is only to get you from point A to point B in an emergency situation.

I agree, one should watch out the engine temp before it seizes. but a slow drive say 40 - 60 kmph will not seize the engine!
Old 18th June 2008, 15:58   #163
BANNED

Quote:
The radiator flush is of no use if your radiator is leaking.
He had a leak before and now its gone. The flush will help clean any solid deposits which might have clogged the leak/s in the radiator. The flush could probably throw up any more leaks if there are any.
Old 18th June 2008, 17:35   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
He had a leak before and now its gone. The flush will help clean any solid deposits which might have clogged the leak/s in the radiator. The flush could probably throw up any more leaks if there are any.

I quite dont understand your POV. You seem to say that the solid deposits might have clogged the leak - which means the leakage is stopped. Adding a flush to clean deposits means you create more leaks

can you explain?

Sorry for going OT!
Old 18th June 2008, 20:47   #165
BANNED

Quote:
I quite dont understand your POV. You seem to say that the solid deposits might have clogged the leak - which means the leakage is stopped. Adding a flush to clean deposits means you create more leaks

can you explain?

Sorry for going OT!
Flush will take care of any deposits that might be present in the radiator tubing. We did a flush on a Commander and we saw 2 leaks which showed up. One was previously sealed with Mseal or something the other i guess was simply clogged by the loose deposits inside which got trapped in the small hole and blocked it stopping the leak. This vehicle was used extensively in the western region.

Where did i say the flush will "create" more leaks?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks