Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2008, 09:34   #271
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I would use 1st gear - its easier and it puts no more stress on the gear than it does if you were to dump your clutch in 1st at <4000rpm.
One small problem with first though. As within the gearbox in first its a smaller gear driving a larger gear, amplifying the torque, while pushing the car in first the wheels have to exert a much greater force to drive the engine than in higher gears. On loose soil in first a Jeep would most likely drag its rear wheels instead of spinning. Which is why 2nd is preferred. Its easier to push start as you go higher up in gears as the torque required to turn the engine through the gears is lower but you have the problem of inadequate speed for a car to pick up from push start in any gear higher than 2nd.

PS The higher compressions of a diesel engine make starting the car in first even more likely to have wheels dragging. This obviously won't be an issue if you have atleast three /four people pushing or you are on a slope.

Last edited by DKG : 3rd July 2008 at 09:37.
Old 3rd July 2008, 09:50   #272
BANNED

I think enough suggestions have been given regarding battery, alternator and push start. Lets not confuse matters more. All the above are simple issues.
Old 3rd July 2008, 10:10   #273
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
...On loose soil in first a Jeep would most likely drag its rear wheels instead of spinning....

...The higher compressions of a diesel engine...
Ah thanks! That makes perfect sense, as i have never before thought about this in the context of :
1) Being on a dirt road
2) Being a diesel (higher compression)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
...I would use 1st gear - its easier ...
I should also clarify - i meant easier in the sense that you do not have to push your car too fast, not in the sense that its easier to turn over the engine.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd July 2008 at 10:12.
Old 3rd July 2008, 11:00   #274
BANNED

Dont try the push start method too often, puts a lot of strain on the drivetrain(snatch) and gearbox.
Old 3rd July 2008, 11:45   #275
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I think enough suggestions have been given regarding battery, alternator and push start. Lets not confuse matters more. All the above are simple issues.
The idea is not just to get suggestions, but also understand how it works. I for one never do a mod unless I understand it completely. Just see how much difference of opinion is there about push starting or what alternator is required. RedMM340 thinks push starting is impossible and some think it is easy.
Old 3rd July 2008, 11:45   #276
BANNED

Aaaah!! Thanks to aah78, DKG and Rehaan for the detailed explaination.

I did mean "keeping the 2nd gear engaged, press the clutch pedal and releasing it when the vehicle attains adequate speed".

One more question - As I understand the diesel mechanism, (have watched several of Ashok Leyland's 370 engines being overhauled pretty several times) only electric power a diesel requires is to run the starter motor during the cranking process. So, why are people here recomending keeping the key in "on" position?

On heavy vehicles, which, if they have a malfunctioning push start (after the ignition key, which if working, is turned) I have reached under the dash, and used a coin to connect the two terminals of the push button assembly to start the engine. And several times, have seen vehicles being driven (during major periodic maintenance) without both the starter motor and the battery. Hence, the question, "why put the key in start position" for a push start.

What I am driving at, really, is this - my impression of proper security on a vehicle with diesel engine is a padlock on a pressed down brake pedal. Every other security mechanism is just eyewash. Even gear lock is not useful, since for most rear wheel drive vehicles the gear lever is just above, and hence directly connects to the gear box ( correct me here if I am wrong), and simply removing the rubber cover of the gear lever on the floor board and using a screw driver to shift gears is easy.
Old 3rd July 2008, 14:45   #277
Senior - BHPian

How to push start a JEEP

Hi Gaurev,

You can easily push start a JEEP, being Arka helps, only just.

The procedure.

1) Choose an appropriate run, preferable the down slope (even of a drive way helps). Make sure ignition key is on.

2) Select the gear 2nd if there is a group of people pushing and the runway is not long (20mts)
Select 3rd gear if only one person is pushing and the runway is about 30mts or more.

3) Once the vehicle gains enough momentum (5-10kmph) PUMP the clutch and the accelerator.
If you DUMP the clutch the torque buildup on the flywheel will be quite high and sudden and chances of damaging drive-train components are much higher.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2008, 23:33   #278
BHPian

Old mechanic's trick : Use the self motor when someone is pushing the jeep,it helps.
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Gaurev,

You can easily push start a JEEP, being Arka helps, only just.

The procedure.

1) Choose an appropriate run, preferable the down slope (even of a drive way helps). Make sure ignition key is on.

2) Select the gear 2nd if there is a group of people pushing and the runway is not long (20mts)
Select 3rd gear if only one person is pushing and the runway is about 30mts or more.

3) Once the vehicle gains enough momentum (5-10kmph) PUMP the clutch and the accelerator.
If you DUMP the clutch the torque buildup on the flywheel will be quite high and sudden and chances of damaging drive-train components are much higher.

Regards,

Arka
MM440 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2008, 15:13   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
One small problem with first though. As within the gearbox in first its a smaller gear driving a larger gear, amplifying the torque, while pushing the car in first the wheels have to exert a much greater force to drive the engine than in higher gears. On loose soil in first a Jeep would most likely drag its rear wheels instead of spinning. Which is why 2nd is preferred. Its easier to push start as you go higher up in gears as the torque required to turn the engine through the gears is lower but you have the problem of inadequate speed for a car to pick up from push start in any gear higher than 2nd.

PS The higher compressions of a diesel engine make starting the car in first even more likely to have wheels dragging. This obviously won't be an issue if you have atleast three /four people pushing or you are on a slope.
DKG. even 2 is not possible on Sand, push starting on sand is next to impossible unless you tow start the vehicle. 3rd gear or 4th will be comfortable and dump the clutch at around 5 - 10 kms.

We have got stuck a couple of times in sand with my CJ3B.

Ofcourse Nitrous was there to help push and it made matters easier! Thanks Nitrous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Dont try the push start method too often, puts a lot of strain on the drivetrain(snatch) and gearbox.
Thats basic common sense my friend, why would anyone wanna push start a vehicle unless they have a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Just see how much difference of opinion is there about push starting or what alternator is required. RedMM340 thinks push starting is impossible and some think it is easy.
Thats Team-bhp, my friend, we get to hear different ideas and also share ours to our brethren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM440 View Post
Old mechanic's trick : Use the self motor when someone is pushing the jeep,it helps.
cheers
Using the self motor to aid in starting the jeep helps only if the self motor / battery combo is weak. Suppose there is no self motor or battery then, that trick is useless
Old 4th July 2008, 15:40   #280
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
DKG. even 2 is not possible on Sand, push starting on sand is next to impossible unless you tow start the vehicle. 3rd gear or 4th will be comfortable and dump the clutch at around 5 - 10 kms.
I guess for diesels 3 should be comfortable assuming you have atleast two to three people pushing
Old 4th July 2008, 16:30   #281
Team-BHP Support

Ok, I think we more than enough discussion on battery and push starting.

Now, on to a new topic. Recently after the underbody diesel wash I was told they have to gease it thoroughly. Never did that with the GV. What are the underbody parts that are greased after wash and why?

Meanwhile, my Jeep has returned from the shop with new radiator and new anti-rust coating and paint-work.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-325158036_jzd5ul.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-325151547_yoznol.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-325151641_hsgvnl.jpg
Old 4th July 2008, 17:42   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Never did that with the GV. What are the underbody parts that are greased after wash and why?
Yeah, there are some 17 odd nipples under the jeep for greasing, I just bought myself a grease gun too, as the ride becomes much smoother if we grease the nipples and use the jeep.

Ofcourse, you GV is NOT a JEEP.

Jokes apart, modern vehicles have their joints sealed and lubricated for life [atleast 5K or 10K kms] which are opened and lubricated / changed at that service interval,

A jeep is a different ball game altogether. I'm sure you'd have understood that by now!
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2008, 17:46   #283
Team-BHP Support

There will be grease nipples at the spring, drive shafts and steering end. Service guys will know it, these have to be greased. Ensure the nipple openings are cleaned before you pump in, otherwise dirt and muck will go in. And ideally squirt till the grease comes out of the other end, so that the old muck and grease is thrown out.

ps: please paint the shocks also BLACK!! They are a misfit in the otherwise gorgeous pic of the Jeep!
Old 4th July 2008, 17:54   #284
BHPian

Hi Samu,
diesel is a light oil that often dissolve the grease, wich is there to lubricate all the moving parts.
Often they are: steering system, knuckles, telescopic shaft, leaf springs, shackles and their bushing and so on...
Much less common on modern vehicles due to self lubricating parts and different engineering i.e. the coil springs system does not need any lubrication while leafs does etc.
Always reeding your thread with pleasure!
Ciao!

Ignazio
Old 4th July 2008, 19:36   #285
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
There will be grease nipples at the spring, drive shafts and steering end. Service guys will know it, these have to be greased.
Quote:
I just bought myself a grease gun too, as the ride becomes much smoother if we grease the nipples and use the jeep.
My usual workshop didn't have a grease gun, so I have to depend on the cleaning place. Apparently they didn't do a good job of that last time, my mechanic found no grease in the shackle joints.

BTW, is the surface between leafs greased?

Quote:
Ofcourse, you GV is NOT a JEEP.
Well, it is not a Jeep wannabe either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignazio View Post
Always reeding your thread with pleasure!
Thanks, probably because this is where I ask all the stupid questions about Jeeps.

Last edited by Samurai : 4th July 2008 at 19:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks