Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2008, 12:34   #346
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Oops! Sorry guys, I had selected some posts from this thread and deleted a spam post from another thread. However, all got deleted with a warning note. My apologies to those who got the PM from this thread. I have reinstated all posts.

Learn something new about software behaviour everyday
Old 6th August 2008, 13:02   #347
Team-BHP Support

I moved the entire overheating discussing here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...blem-jeep.html

It was overheating this thread.
Old 6th August 2008, 14:01   #348
Senior - BHPian

Yup, we are supposed to understand " How to live with a CL340 or similar jeep .." not discuss apparent overheating problems or go OT.

Thanks sharat for starting a separate thread!
Old 7th August 2008, 14:49   #349
Senior - BHPian

Samurai (and other jeepers), do these Jeeps come with seat-belts ? If not, is it possible/easy to have seat belts fitted ?

Asking because my cousin had an accident in his Jeep last week. On a ghat road he lost control of the Jeep (steering tie-rod broke or something) and he rammed into the mountain-side, resulting in serious injuries to him and his Dad who has sitting in the front passenger seat.

His head struck and shattered the windscreen - lost lots of blood and ended up with 9 stitches on his forehead. He also got hit in the lower stomach by the steering wheel. His Dad got hit between the jaw and throat due to hitting against the jeep on impact leading to a serious cut.

If they had seatbelts (their Jeep did not have) on, a lot of the above injuries would not have happened.
Old 7th August 2008, 14:57   #350
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
resulting in serious injuries to him and his Dad who has sitting in the front passenger seat.
Very sorry to hear about this. Its incidents like these that really do highlight the need to ensure these Jeeps are upgraded with basic safety equipment. I would also urge fellow offroad enthusiasts to equip their machines with a roll bar especially when offroading
Old 7th August 2008, 15:01   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Samurai (and other jeepers), do these Jeeps come with seat-belts ? If not, is it possible/easy to have seat belts fitted ?
SB, extremely sad on hearing about the accident. Hope your cousin and his dad are fine now.

99.5%+ of the jeeps that I have seen in OTR's don't have seat belts.

However, Samurai's jeep did have seat belts and I did see him using the seat belts during the Coorg OTR.

I don't think it is rocket science to get seat belts installed in jeeps. should be very easy.
Old 7th August 2008, 15:40   #352
Team-BHP Support

Very sorry to hear this news.

Quote:
When I first saw my Jeep, it didn't have seat belts, side mirrors, wipers or soft top. I told Jammy I can't drive unless I have all those fitting in, so he installed them in the next one week before I took delivery. I always use seat belts whether I am in Santro, GV or Jeep. In fact, I was one of the rare guys in Coorg OTR who wore seat belts even while off-roading.

Seats belts can easily installed in Jeep. Considering there is absolutely no other safety feature on the Jeep, the importance seat belts in Jeep can't be overstated. The logic that Jeeps are slow is wrong, you can get seriously hurt even at 20kmph collision.
Old 7th August 2008, 17:24   #353
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Extremely simple. Mount the belt mechanism on the roll bar and the buckle between the front seats. Neck restraints and a sturdy roll bar are two other must-have safety fixtures for SWB Jeeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Considering there is absolutely no other safety feature on the Jeep, the importance seat belts in Jeep can't be overstated.
If you crash a Jeep at 50kph or below, chances are that your Jeep will not have suffered any damage at all. The other car will be finished. My brother has crashed my Jeep into a Padmini and a Sumo. The bull bar hasn't even been repaired and looks stock. I have been rear-ended by a school bus and the only repair required was a thousand rupee job for straightening out the tail gate.

However, at speeds above 50 - 60 kph, the CJ is dangerous. My knees sit an inch away from the sharp (pointy) dashboard and any collision, I am afraid, will break my knees on the spot. Thats one of the reasons why I never use the Jeep for highway runs. It is best within the city or for low speed off-roading.
Old 8th August 2008, 00:50   #354
BANNED

Quote:
My knees sit an inch away from the sharp (pointy) dashboard and any collision, I am afraid, will break my knees on the spot.
And it does not have a collapsible steering column. The steering road is one long spear - literally. Probably 1/2 or 3/4 inches near the steering end, and 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 inches in diameter.
Old 8th August 2008, 08:01   #355
Senior - BHPian

SB, sorry about your cousin and his dad. Hope they are on their way to recovery. YEah I agree that seatbelts are very very important.

Thats what saved me and nitrous while my gypsy flipped. Though it was a very slow flip at say 10 kmph or so!
Old 8th August 2008, 09:58   #356
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok, while we are on the subject of seat belts:
  • What's the cost of new and good after market seat belts
  • Where to get them in Bangalore
Old 8th August 2008, 10:09   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
* What's the cost of new and good after market seat belts
Around 1200 bucks per side.
Old 8th August 2008, 10:18   #358
Senior - BHPian

My cousin and uncle are recovering at home after a 2-day hospital stay. The Jeep had just come back from the garage after renovation/repairs and now it has serious damage to the front - estimate 15K.

Must check out what model Jeep it is next time I get a chance. Never thought about that even though I was in it once. Not a 4x4 would be my guess.
Old 8th August 2008, 18:31   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

If you crash a Jeep at 50kph or below, chances are that your Jeep will not have suffered any damage at all. The other car will be finished.
meaning no crumple zone, which in turn means all the energy will be transferred to the passengers. that's dangerous.
Old 20th August 2008, 08:08   #360
Team-BHP Support

I am likely to get the Jeep back from the shop today, while it is there I was wondering is there anything else I need to get checked.

Say, gearbox and transfer case, I have never had them checked. Are they serviceable items or they are to be left untouched until they give trouble?

While it is in the Mahindra authorised garage, is there something else I can ask them to inspect or service?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks