Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2008, 08:20   #466
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
...Since I am planning to keep it forever, I am opening and fixing each issue as and when they crop up.
Thats a good approach Samurai.

Quote:
..Now I have over-cooling problem, the temp is staying in 60-65C, I need to install thermostat.
While a thermostat would be great, I have seen a 'local, low cost' technique fr this on trucks. In freezing cold of North India, in winters they put a sheet of cloth/tarpaulin in front of the radiator to block the incoming air and hence get the engine heat up a bit more.

I remembered it, hence mentioning it here. Behram bhai could possibly comment on the pros/cons of this technique.

Cheers,
Old 7th December 2008, 09:14   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now I have over-cooling problem, the temp is staying in 60-65C, I need to install thermostat.
You have checked it at the agumbe ghats? Wow. Time to fix an AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
I have seen a 'local, low cost' technique fr this on trucks. In freezing cold of North India, in winters they put a sheet of cloth/tarpaulin in front of the radiator to block the incoming air and hence get the engine heat up a bit more.
Yeah but the thermostat acts much better than the blanket technique. There are a lot of old age techniques to run vehicles that do not have modern devices.

eg. Running a vehicle that has a potential overheating problem etc etc.
Old 7th December 2008, 19:39   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While a thermostat would be great, I have seen a 'local, low cost' technique fr this on trucks. In freezing cold of North India, in winters they put a sheet of cloth/tarpaulin in front of the radiator to block the incoming air and hence get the engine heat up a bit more.
Yeah, I have seen them specially made with zippers or buttons that expose more or less radiator to the air per requirement but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Yeah but the thermostat acts much better than the blanket technique.
.....thermostats are dirt cheap, probably rivaling the cost of the tarp and they are precise. Besides, the trucks with the radiator tarps usually also have thermostats.
Old 8th December 2008, 10:32   #469
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Sharath - taking a cue from the result of your "overcooling" statement, you and I (you by implementing and me by remote controlling) have now unequivocally proved that there is only one way to attend to any issue on any vehicle and that is the right way. Nothing else will work. I see people burning good hard earned money on incorrect acts which do not give results. I could only pity them. Therefore, I now request you or anybody on the forum to start a separate thread on "THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO RESOLVE ISSUES ON ANY SYSTEM OF ANY CAR AND THAT IS THE CORRECT WAY". I am sure there are many many people on TeamBHP who will contribute for benefit of all. And by the way - I am not talking of after sales processes of manufacturers. I am very clear on this.

Now that your engine and transmission are sorted out, I can almost smell the next issue on your car. Leaf spring bushes and shackles. Post some closeup photographs and I will once again guide you in totality.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 8th December 2008, 13:06   #470
BHPian

Thanks,Samurai for your detailed inputs. Truly appreciate it.
By the way, after adding a coolant reservoir( and coolant) and changing the radiator cap to a rated 9 psi, the temperature on my 540 also stays around 60 degrees, and all this while I was thinking that's a good thing! Can you confirm where it explicitly mentions that the ideal operating temperature is 80 degrees?
Also, after a couple of hours of rest after running the vehicle for a while, i see that a lot of coolant from the tank has been pulled in, into the radiator and the tank is almost empty. My question is, do I need to fill up the coolant tank again? I'm concerned that if the coolant is pushed back into the tank while the radiator is pressurized, its advisable to have some space left in the tank for the surplus fluid right? Please advice...
Old 8th December 2008, 13:22   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai

Now I have over-cooling problem, the temp is staying in 60-65C, I need to install thermostat.

Is it a 'Problem' ?

Gurus please explain.

Last edited by Technocrat : 8th December 2008 at 19:26. Reason: fixed quote
Old 8th December 2008, 14:37   #472
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Kavesh - overcooling an engine when it is running is harmful to the engine. As the fuel burns, some harmful acids are formed which need to be burned and thrown out. If the engine is overcooled, these acids do not get disintegrated, attack the cylinder walls and accelerate bore wear.

Dear Sharath - please put a thermostat in the water pump outlet hose (top hose) of your engine if not done so. Use only OE part. Test it by immersing it in a pan of water and then heat the water on a stove. It should start opening at around 86 degrees C and be fully open at around 92 degrees C. Check the temperature by using a thermometer.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 8th December 2008, 18:56   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
. And by the way - I am not talking of after sales processes of manufacturers. I am very clear on this.
I hear that dirty old spinster was attacked by a berserk herd of lawyers in a dark alley one night and has never been the same.

This would indeed make a good thread. There is a product on the market that claims to improve your fuel average and power dramatically. It is a propeller, airplane type, that sits inside your air intake duct and turns in the breeze. That's all it does. "Improves air flow".
Old 8th December 2008, 19:14   #474
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now that your engine and transmission are sorted out, I can almost smell the next issue on your car. Leaf spring bushes and shackles. Post some closeup photographs and I will once again guide you in totality.
Behram, you have some nose!

When I took delivery last week I used to have this kat-kat noise whenever the Jeep sways, I asked them to check it out. Well, it was the leaf-spring bush. Now both the bushes on the rear shackle are replaced, and there is no more sound.
Old 8th December 2008, 20:23   #475
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Sharath - thanks for recognising my sense of smell. I have lived with cars all my life and all my cars (including yours) talk to me everyday. I know what they talk to me. The next in line after the spring bushes will be that the steering gear will develop a small "free play" about the centre. Adjust it, it is very straightforward, needs no dismantling and 5 minutes of your time. Change the steering gear oil. It is SAE 120. Then some body mountings will loosen. Just tighten them. Then the alternator or the starter motor will play up. Take it one at a time. Then your car will settle down for one year. Next steps that you will need to take after one year I will tell you after some time.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 9th December 2008, 19:12   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I remembered it, hence mentioning it here. Behram bhai could possibly comment on the pros/cons of this technique.
The big semi trucks of North America use this technique extensively. It gets a whole lot colder there than North India. I have seen temperatures there at -45c. At these temperatures all kinds of funny things happen. Tyres lose their elasticity, your vehicle rides like you have concrete tyres. Lubricants, gear oils, get semi-solid and your tranny gets really hard to shift. People have to put electric heaters on oil sumps, batteries, radiators and they plug them in to their houses at night. When the temperatures are so cold that you can throw a hot cup of tea into the air and watch it freeze before it hits the ground, then maybe you might consider a radiator tarp. These kind of temperatures can play havoc with a cooling system and a thermostat. But, radiator tarps are probably not necessary from Chennai southward, though.

Quote:
you and I (you by implementing and me by remote controlling) have now unequivocally proved that there is only one way to attend to any issue on any vehicle and that is the right way.
"Unequivocal" proofs are a creature of math and formal logic. The empirical world only gives us highly confirmed general results. Were it otherwise, for example, there would be no need for publically observatable experiments, testing, in science. And, there could be no crucial experiments leading to the acceptance of new scientific paradigms, e.g. Einsteinian Physics vs Newtonian physics.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 9th December 2008 at 19:17.
Old 11th December 2008, 17:48   #477
Team-BHP Support

Today I got the thermostat switch installed. In fact, I watched it being installed so that I can take it out and inspect it in future. It is a fairly simple installation. This thermostat is rated at 89C, I guess it starts opening at 86C and fully open at 92C. As I drove back, the temp quickly raised to 80C and stayed steady at 80C all the way back. That concludes the 6 month long heating issue.cheers:

The gear slip at 3rd gear hasn't completely gone away, if I apply engine braking in really steep road, it does slip back to neutral after 10 seconds. The SA and the mechanic were very confident of the cause this time, the shift fork. About three damaged parts were not replaced in the gearbox for lack for availability. So they filed it and put it back.

They are as follows.

Part Number---------Description
083027------------Shift fork 1st & 2nd
052672------------Shift fork 3rd & 4th
052675------------Shift rail 3rd and 4th

They are not able to get these via normal channels, how can I get these?
Old 11th December 2008, 17:57   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As I drove back, the temp quickly raised to 80C and stayed steady at 80C all the way back. That concludes the 6 month long heating issue.cheers:
Hey, how about taking it to the agumbhe ghats and checking it on the steep inclines? That would be nice. Also, can you post a picture of the thermostat?

Cheers
Old 12th December 2008, 06:20   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Part Number---------Description
083027------------Shift fork 1st & 2nd
052672------------Shift fork 3rd & 4th
052675------------Shift rail 3rd and 4th

They are not able to get these via normal channels, how can I get these?
A brand new M&M engine is also hard to come by via normal channel, still somebody here got it, right? You already have the channel, so it should be easy?
Old 30th December 2008, 00:47   #480
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hey, how about taking it to the agumbhe ghats and checking it on the steep inclines? That would be nice.
In the 320Kms drive I did last week, it did the Agumbe ghats as well as the numerous steep switchbacks on the way to Muthodi forest. It never went beyond 82-83C.

However, I discovered a problem with my rims. DerAlte who was watching my Jeep most of the day from the following Safari reported that the sidewalls were royally twisting away from the rims at every turn.

I have 4.5 inch rims running 9.x wide tyres (235mm). I know I should be using 6.5-7 inch rims, but I never bothered until now. This probably explains the bad bodyroll I have with the Jeep. With a wider rim, the twisting should be eliminated and reduce the bodyroll. So, I will be upgrading the rims soon to 15x7J alloys.

Last edited by Samurai : 30th December 2008 at 07:40.

Most Viewed