Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2009, 11:37   #601
Team-BHP Support

The body works garage is yet to accept my Jeep. Now I am having second thoughts about getting it done this summer. Even if the body work gets over in 3 weeks, if the paint shop delays the paintwork, we might run into monsoon. It would be stupid to paint once the rains start. I don't want to run around without paintwork for the rest of the year.

I am seriously thinking about postponing the body work to early next year.

Meanwhile, the turning radius problem persists. It is really irritating because the turns I could easily do before have all become K turns. All this started after replacing the tie-rod joints. How could this happen?
Old 5th April 2009, 12:46   #602
Team-BHP Support

Samu body work if its ok, leave it for now and do it after the monsoon.

Your vehicle steering geometry changes when tie end settings change (turn in), right? Earlier with wrong setting, turn in of wheels would have been more. This can be the reason.

Take model art and practice you will understand better he he
Old 5th April 2009, 23:49   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The body works garage is yet to accept my Jeep. Now I am having second thoughts about getting it done this summer. Even if the body work gets over in 3 weeks, if the paint shop delays the paintwork, we might run into monsoon. It would be stupid to paint once the rains start. I don't want to run around without paintwork for the rest of the year.

I am seriously thinking about postponing the body work to early next year.

Meanwhile, the turning radius problem persists. It is really irritating because the turns I could easily do before have all become K turns. All this started after replacing the tie-rod joints. How could this happen?
Did anyone fiddle with the stopper nuts which limit turning angle during the tie rod end replacement?
Old 6th April 2009, 12:11   #604
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Your vehicle steering geometry changes when tie end settings change (turn in), right? Earlier with wrong setting, turn in of wheels would have been more. This can be the reason.
I find it hard to believe that it was wrong settings all this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
Did anyone fiddle with the stopper nuts which limit turning angle during the tie rod end replacement?
Possible, I need to see whether I can change it.
Old 6th April 2009, 12:29   #605
Distinguished - BHPian

@Samurai: Sounds silly to ask but Is the turning radius same on both sides? You can have perfect steering geometry and alignment even when the turning radius are un equal.
Old 6th April 2009, 15:18   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Possible, I need to see whether I can change it.
How much is the difference in the turning radius? Is it a slight increase only? Does the vehicle tend to wander more when cruising on a smooth level highway?
Old 6th April 2009, 16:26   #607
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Sharath - I got your PM. Please note as follows and implement as a checklist in the workshop in Mangalore. You had removed the bell crank lever for replacing its bushes. Please ensure that the intermediate steering connecting rod is centralized during subsequent assembly (this is accessible by removing the long split pin and then tightening or loosening the ball joint spring loaded sockets). Also ensure that by chance the connecting rod is not assembled reversed. The correct position is one where the steering tie rod end of the bell crank lever is pointing slightly towards the LH side (I will try and give you the exact angle shortly as I do not have access to that information at present). Just ensure that the steering gear is central (number of turns lock to lock divided by two) and then start to adjust toe. Do it and let me know. The idea is to centralize things.

NG chassis was done to prevent all such things happening in the vehicles.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 6th April 2009 at 16:28. Reason: add info
Old 6th April 2009, 16:42   #608
Team-BHP Support

I tested the steering lock-to-lock today afternoon. When I turn the steering to the left, it abruptly locks even before touching the bolt, in fact I can see half inch gap between the stopper bolts. This is the side I am having trouble with. When I turn right, it turns until hitting the stopper bolt.

Behram, I'll take your exact instructions to the mechanic.
Old 6th April 2009, 16:48   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
The wheel alignment chaps adjusted the toe-in, I have posted the before and after values in the previous post.

However, I am facing a strange issue. I somehow feel that the turning radius has been increased after the tierod joint were changed. I usually can take the Jeep out of my home in a single U turn. However, since two days I need a K turn for the same. Is this something to do with toe-in not settling in yet?
Hi Sharath,
Ask him to check if the steering drop rod is centered.Has the turning radius increased on both sides or one side.
Cheers
Jammy

Last edited by Samurai : 6th April 2009 at 18:24. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 6th April 2009, 17:52   #610
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Sharath - can you please repeat what are the EXACT things that you did during steering work done recently? What MM440 is saying is true if you had opened the steering gear box and the drop arm has been incorrectly fitted. However, if you confirm that the steering gear box was not opened, then also please check for centre position.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 6th April 2009, 18:09   #611
Team-BHP Support

Steering column bush was replaced, bell crank kit was replaced and all 4 tierod joints were replaced.
Old 7th April 2009, 01:57   #612
BHPian

Quote:
I tested the steering lock-to-lock today afternoon. When I turn the steering to the left, it abruptly locks even before touching the bolt, in fact I can see half inch gap between the stopper bolts. This is the side I am having trouble with. When I turn right, it turns until hitting the stopper bolt.

Behram, I'll take your exact instructions to the mechanic.
This sounds like the steering box is hitting its limit before the wheel.
Could you post a pic of the tie rod between the bellcrank and the left wheel. Please include the ends too.
Old 7th April 2009, 09:00   #613
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Alfa Kilo - you are absolutely correct.

Dear Sharath - please tell Richie's workshop to check for centralization of parts and correct as per workshop manual instructions, your vehicle will become OK. By the way, who canged the tie rods? Richie's guys will not make such a mistake.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 7th April 2009, 11:41   #614
Team-BHP Support

No, it wasn't the M&M workshop. Since it was a simple task, I gave it to my neighbourhood workshop. He generally does a decent job, this is a little surprising.

Alfa_Kilo, I have posted the bellcrank end of it. I need a wider lens to get the whole part, will do that later.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-_4075882.jpg  

Old 7th April 2009, 15:10   #615
Team-BHP Support

I took two more shots with a wider lens. I want to understand this problem clearly before approaching the mechanic.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p1010438.jpg  

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p1010440.jpg  

Most Viewed