Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2009, 23:23   #631
BHPian

Lol, nevermind Dan, sorry for disappointing you.
I too heard the synthetic oil can go on for 20-30,000kms, but then again, your other point of dusty conditions plays a big role in it. The only problem i heard about them, though i might be wrong, and i know nothing much about oils, is that it doesn't have the versatility range that multi-grades have.
Old 13th April 2009, 16:03   #632
Team-BHP Support

Ok, that's a lot of info of Oil.

Now, the steering geometry is still nowhere near perfect. It still locks before hitting the stopper nut. I also hear some funny noise from the steering. So, I just made an appointment with Mahindra service center for wednesday.

BTW, the 3 remaining gearbox parts finally come, so it is time to finish the gearbox overhaul.
Old 13th April 2009, 21:17   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yesterday while I was talking to Vinay Thomas, he wondered why the tie-rods appear to be so close to the drums. Even I am little confused, somehow I can't remember how close it was before.

1>No need for confusion there It is so because of design and manufacture default.
2>The tie rods are taper wedged and fastened to the housing by means of a nut which also has a split pin for additional safety.
3> The housing (chatti in local parlance) cannot bend/(should not bend as it is a casting).It will only crack or break.
4> So the CO of confusion command has been up waving his magic wand I see.lol.
Cheers
Jammy

Last edited by khan_sultan : 7th May 2009 at 19:03. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 7th May 2009, 19:01   #634
Team-BHP Support

Today I gave the Jeep for fixing some issues.

1) The last 3 gearbox parts have arrived, now we will put that in.
2) The old beading under the new windshield frame is brittle and leaks when it rains. This beading needs to be changed.
3) The steering needs to be centered, I don't think my neighbourhood mechanic can handle this.
4) The new pairs of fog lights need to be wired with relays.

Last couple of weeks I had noticed a tilt from the rear. When I mentioned it them, a mechanic looked closely and noticed I had a broken leaf. Now that explains why the CJ340 was giving a dimished performance during the comparison test with Gurkha. I had got stuck in couple places where I used to breeze before.

The broken leaf.
Old 7th May 2009, 21:04   #635
BANNED

I am a bit confused by the pic of the broken leaf. Where is the other end? Inside the clamp? Looks like it is the main leaf. Right?

When leaves other than the main and the second leaf break, the tilt may not be pronounced. Actually broken leaves is something you should be checking for very frequently - as often as you check tyre pressure. You (and others) may also want to add this to the list of post OTR check list.
Old 7th May 2009, 21:07   #636
Team-BHP Support

darn its the main leaf, lucky you
Old 7th May 2009, 21:47   #637
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I am a bit confused by the pic of the broken leaf. Where is the other end? Inside the clamp? Looks like it is the main leaf. Right?
Yeah, it is the main leaf. The other end is still held by the clamp bolt. I can't believe I drove like this, even did the offroading along with the Gurkha.
Old 8th May 2009, 19:42   #638
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yeah, it is the main leaf. The other end is still held by the clamp bolt.
Saved by the curve on the second leaf. (see that tip pointing down on front side of the perch). Just be careful - some second leaves come without that curve.
Old 8th May 2009, 21:50   #639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Samurai - it is indeed nice to see your genuine interest in this vehicle. I am happy. Just to fill you in once again, your vehicle is a M&M CL340 DP 80" wheelbase 48" wheeltrack four wheel drive fitted with the XDP4.90 diesel engine, KMT90 transmission and T18 transfer case. I have given specifications already. As far as the underbonnet photographs are concerned, generally everything is in place. The original cable operated accelerator control system is removed and somebody has fitted links in it's place. This is an idiotic misconception in the minds of traditional mechanics and I suggest you revert back to the cable. Parts should not be a problem. This is number 11 in your photograph no 2, just next to the oil filter. The original outer cable holding adapters are still there on the FIP (no 15, photograph no 2). Further, somebody has fitted a silly bonnet light and an old generation aftermarket headlight relay whose lid is missing. I suggest you go to a good electrician and throw these useless things out. The fuses are also not original. Please refer my post on page no 60 of the automobile lighting thread in this forum and use the information to build reliability into your vehicle's electrical system. Also, please check water in the radiator always. The XDP4.90 is a wet liner engine and any rise in temperature will lead to immediate seizure. I will give you service and lubrication instructions shortly.

Best regardsm,

Behram Dhabhar
Hi. Behram I always wanted to know what is that small verticle 2"hight projection we find in almost all intake manifold? Further I had a 540 DP in year 1993 it was a second hand one and I had brought for a sum of 2 lakhs, I had a project work in KANDLA in Kutcchh it was to be there for almost 3years at a streach initially it used to start without heater even if kept parked for 2 to 3 hrs, later it required heater even if parked for 20 minutes, being away from Gandhidham and used inside a restricted area I seldom went to town. One day a mechanic in the city told me this is due to low compression in engine and can be done only by engine overhauling,and will cost around 20000/- in those days I saw that there were large number of jeeps in kutcch then any where but mostly with International engine. Ijust got scared to get engine opened with a person more happy with HAMMERS,CHISSELS,SICKLE,DIRTY SPANNERS etc, I went back to site and narrated to my employee chief engineer he told me that another contractor like us is looking for a jeep and Mumbai registered one since they were from Mumbai like us.Next day I met him and told h im the peculliar problem in the jeep before he buys it but he said its not a major problem and I sold it for1.5lakhs there and then.I had used the jeep for almost 18000 kms.Kindly tell me was it a wise to do what I did? Iwill tell you that jeep had number of welding marks on the chassis.
Old 9th May 2009, 02:38   #640
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

This is a class problem of the the XD3p engine mated to the 4 speed gear box. Due to lack of overdrive people who do highway driving alwasys end up running the engine in the upper rev bands and always need to rebuild the top end at about 80 K miles.
Old 9th May 2009, 12:52   #641
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Mr.Iqbal Veerji - ref your query on the 2" projection, please post a photograph to enable me to comment. Regarding your other query, a diesel engine should give good performance and life if clean fuel, clean air, clean lubricant and clean coolant are supplied to it. Unfortunately people in their quest to save a few rupees disregard these basic needs, thus harming the engine. I can say with full confidence that we have run vehicles for lakhs of kilometers and realised good performance and life. Alas, the field (as we refer to the use of vehicles in the open market) does not seem to think so, which is sad indeed. Hope this clarifies.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 9th May 2009, 12:52   #642
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
This is a class problem of the the XD3p engine mated to the 4 speed gear box. Due to lack of overdrive people who do highway driving alwasys end up running the engine in the upper rev bands and always need to rebuild the top end at about 80 K miles.
You can say that again. My 2.5 runs at an uncomfortable full rpms at 80 - 90 kph. A tall 5th is sorely missed.
Old 9th May 2009, 13:05   #643
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Rushabh - Ref your comment above, that's exactly the reason why my CJ340 MH01P8300 was built with 4.27 axles. (axles were common for MDI diesel and XDP diesel except for the ratio, so it was very easy). That way it was a unique CJ. Believe you me, it ran beautifully like a passenger car on the roads and way back in 1995, I had no intention of taking it off road at all. I used to get 14 kmpl also due to almost no load operation.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 11th May 2009, 13:15   #644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Hello Tini,

I have 5th gear with XD3P and i feel the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You can say that again. My 2.5 runs at an uncomfortable full rpms at 80 - 90 kph. A tall 5th is sorely missed.
GTO,

For me, I think the 4.88 ratio is the culprit; I am planning for a 4.27 conversion. Just a quick question, do you think it will substantially reduce the Off-Road capability?

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 11th May 2009, 16:49   #645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Hello Tini,

I have 5th gear with XD3P and i feel the same.
--Sree--
Sorry for going off topic here
But sreerajunn please clarify.
Do you wanna say that while driving a 5 speed gearbox in the 5th gear at high speeds, does the engine behave and sound the same as does the 4 speed gearbox in the 4th gear.
Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks