Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2009, 17:12   #646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Sorry for going off topic here
But sreerajunn please clarify.
Do you wanna say that while driving a 5 speed gearbox in the 5th gear at high speeds, does the engine behave and sound the same as does the 4 speed gearbox in the 4th gear.
Thanks
Harjeev,

I have never driven a 4speed 550, but i can definitly say that the engine still has a lot of power. In other words, engine RPM is very high, that even in 5th gear i dont feel like the engine is relaxed.

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 11th May 2009, 19:06   #647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Harjeev,

I have never driven a 4speed 550, but i can definitly say that the engine still has a lot of power. In other words, engine RPM is very high, that even in 5th gear i dont feel like the engine is relaxed.

Thanks
--Sree--
4 Speed 550 is what kittigadu has. check with him. why do you want to go for 4.27? instead upgrade your tyres from NDMS to 31". that way your jeep gets a new look too.
Old 11th May 2009, 19:21   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
4 Speed 550 is what kittigadu has. check with him. why do you want to go for 4.27? instead upgrade your tyres from NDMS to 31". that way your jeep gets a new look too.
Spot On Vijay!!! This is what UBS sir also advised. I will try this before 4.27 conversion.

Thanks
--Sree-
Old 11th May 2009, 20:28   #649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Mr.Iqbal Veerji - ref your query on the 2" projection, please post a photograph to enable me to comment. Regarding your other query, a diesel engine should give good performance and life if clean fuel, clean air, clean lubricant and clean coolant are supplied to it. Unfortunately people in their quest to save a few rupees disregard these basic needs, thus harming the engine. I can say with full confidence that we have run vehicles for lakhs of kilometers and realised good performance and life. Alas, the field (as we refer to the use of vehicles in the open market) does not seem to think so, which is sad indeed. Hope this clarifies.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Dhabar jee, Thank you very very much for the valued reply for my questions but in our MM540 we had taken serious care as far as HSD filters, engine oil ,and engine oil filter, cleaning of air cleaner and washing and lubrication was connected I used to get it myself done and also I had a very faithful person who used to attend to it, inspite of that it happened to my vehicle. It was a 4x4.
Sometimes when I remember her there are tears in my eyes.
Old 12th May 2009, 08:07   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Tini,

I have 5th gear with XD3P and i feel the same.

GTO,

For me, I think the 4.88 ratio is the culprit; I am planning for a 4.27 conversion. Just a quick question, do you think it will substantially reduce the Off-Road capability?

Thanks
--Sree--
I have done quite experiments in changing the final ratio of my MM540 which has got XD3P from a military 550XD with 4 forward gear and 4x4 transfer case. This is my daily drive too.

My Blue Machine originally had 5.38 final ratio and while even driving at 60 KMPH, I was always keep looking at the gear nob if it is really on top gear.

Than I decided to go for the minimum final ratio, i.e. 3.54 (34.24% decrease from 5.38). It was a great fun driving on the highways but a little problem in puting in top gear in city. You can shift into the 4th, only after 60 KMPH. I drive mainly on soft sand and though there was a power loss in 1st gear but you always have 4L gear.

I than changed again the final ratio to 4.27 (which is increase of 20% from 3.54) to have a right combination of city / highway / offroad. Highway ride is not too good after 70 KMPH which I think can be improved by the overdrive gear.
Old 12th May 2009, 12:40   #651
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For me, I think the 4.88 ratio is the culprit; I am planning for a 4.27 conversion. Just a quick question, do you think it will substantially reduce the Off-Road capability?
When my Jeep was running the stock 2.1 XDP, I'd converted to 4.27 from Ferdi. Highway performance had noticeably improved without a doubt. Offroad capability? Depends where. In most conditions where you use 2nd low (on the 4.88), you'd need 1st low (on the 4.27). There are hardly any conditions where one uses 1st low (of the 4.88), but when they required, expect some clutch slipping (on the 4.27).
Old 14th May 2009, 10:56   #652
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Today I gave the Jeep for fixing some issues.

1) The last 3 gearbox parts have arrived, now we will put that in.
2) The old beading under the new windshield frame is brittle and leaks when it rains. This beading needs to be changed.
3) The steering needs to be centered, I don't think my neighbourhood mechanic can handle this.
4) The new pairs of fog lights need to be wired with relays.
5) Replace broken leaf.
I got my Jeep back from Mahindra Service Center two days back. All the work has been done. Now the turning radius has improved a lot, it appears to be better than I had before the problem started. Looks like they adjusted the locker nut to allow maximum turning without touching the leafs. The steering is centralised, it was off a couple notches I was told.

Now I can put the winch back. Although I am still scratching my head about how to secure the winch beyond those 4 nuts.
Old 15th May 2009, 12:04   #653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now I can put the winch back. Although I am still scratching my head about how to secure the winch beyond those 4 nuts.
Heavy chain, heavy padlock and a piece of tyre to keep the chain and lock from scratching/damaging the winch.

Alternately, with the economic turn down world wide Aishwarya Rai has been forced to pursue business interests outside Hollywood and Bollywood. She has started her own company. For a small retainer she or one of her professionally trained women will come and sit and watch your winch all night. Here is the link:

http://www.winch_wench.com /
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-aish-rai-103-x-146.jpg  

Old 15th May 2009, 12:07   #654
BANNED

ALERT ALERT. Dont click on the link if you are in office.

@DD: ROTFL i am in office and opened it.
Old 25th May 2009, 12:56   #655
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday I completed one year of Jeep Ownership. It would be an understatement to say I have enjoyed this experience. It practically opened a new world to me.
  • I understand automobile technology (however old) much better now. More than I learnt from all my earlier vehicles. This Jeep is my 10th 4-wheeler.
  • All the regular taxi-drivers used by my office and family pay lot more respect to my driving ability. It goes something like "But he can drive a Jeep!"
  • Made lot of friends who would go any distance to help you.
  • This is the first vehicle I have owned that is routinely noticed, complimented and even envied. Recently, a granite shop owner came out to comment on the Jeep, he had ignored the GV everytime I visited him before.
  • This is a vehicle that can be driven purely for fun factor. We have had many such trips and expect lot more.

Finally, this thread has remained the #1 link on google search results for the last few months when you seach for CJ340. Now, how cool is that?

Last edited by Samurai : 25th May 2009 at 12:57.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2009, 16:45   #656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday I completed one year of Jeep Ownership. It would be an understatement to say I have enjoyed this experience. It practically opened a new world to me.
  • I understand automobile technology (however old) much better now. More than I learnt from all my earlier vehicles. This Jeep is my 10th 4-wheeler.
  • All the regular taxi-drivers used by my office and family pay lot more respect to my driving ability. It goes something like "But he can drive a Jeep!"
  • Made lot of friends who would go any distance to help you.
  • This is the first vehicle I have owned that is routinely noticed, complimented and even envied. Recently, a granite shop owner came out to comment on the Jeep, he had ignored the GV everytime I visited him before.
  • This is a vehicle that can be driven purely for fun factor. We have had many such trips and expect lot more.
Finally, this thread has remained the #1 link on google search results for the last few months when you seach for CJ340. Now, how cool is that?
Have you noticed that you now have to shave more frequently, that women swoon when you walk by? Your testosterone level is probably sky-rocketing since last year, big fellah.
Old 25th May 2009, 18:43   #657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Have you noticed that you now have to shave more frequently, that women swoon when you walk by? Your testosterone level is probably sky-rocketing since last year, big fellah.
@ DD: ROTFLMAO: I just cant stop laughing at that - Silly old fellah, you sure can come up with something better for poor Sharat, afterall, he's had the Jeep for a year!
Old 25th May 2009, 18:44   #658
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Have you noticed that you now have to shave more frequently, that women swoon when you walk by?
They probably do, but I don't notice, I am married for 13 years.
Old 31st July 2009, 17:30   #659
Team-BHP Support

I am having a strange problem with the Jeep after the recent service. Eventhough I have 1/4 tank fuel, the fuel needle jumps to E occasionally and engine sputters to a stop. It happens 2-3 times in a KM and it is really irritating. Then the needle swings back from E to 1/4 tank and I am able to drive. This happens more often if I am driving uphill or downhill.

I suspected some issue in the fuel line. But the neighourhood mechanic feels it could be loose connection in the electronic fuel pump. Currently he taken it for a longer drive to Udupi to see the problem occur repeatedly, but I am really wondering. Any ideas?

The fuel needle swings wildly, some times staying at E and stalling the engine and then swings back bringing life back to the engine.
Old 31st July 2009, 18:23   #660
BHPian

Quote:
I am having a strange problem with the Jeep after the recent service. Eventhough I have 1/4 tank fuel, the fuel needle jumps to E occasionally and engine sputters to a stop. It happens 2-3 times in a KM and it is really irritating. Then the needle swings back from E to 1/4 tank and I am able to drive. This happens more often if I am driving uphill or downhill.

I suspected some issue in the fuel line. But the neighourhood mechanic feels it could be loose connection in the electronic fuel pump. Currently he taken it for a longer drive to Udupi to see the problem occur repeatedly, but I am really wondering. Any ideas?

The fuel needle swings wildly, some times staying at E and stalling the engine and then swings back bringing life back to the engine.
If the engine is going to die immediately as soon as the fuel tank needle goes to E, then it could be electrical problem. or else since the fuel tank is flat and the fuel is drawn exactly from the center of the tank, when going down hill or up hill all the fuel is moved to the either end from center allowing air in the fuel line.

Most Viewed