Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2009, 18:03   #691
Team-BHP Support

No, this U-clamp fastens the leafs to the axle.

Like this:
Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-_6195687.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 16th September 2009 at 18:06.
Old 16th September 2009, 18:06   #692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
No, this U-clamp fastens the leafs to the axle.
Sir, the U clamp claws over the leaf springs and is fastened to the axle.

EDIT: Clearly visible as seen in the picture. Thanks for loading the same.

Last edited by beejay : 16th September 2009 at 18:07. Reason: Clearly visible....
Old 16th September 2009, 18:10   #693
Senior - BHPian

Pardon my ignorance since my knowledge here is almost nil, the U-clamp looks like is there for a purpose and isnt it dangerous to be driving without one .I mean what are the chances that a leaf may break and affect the dampeners ?
Old 16th September 2009, 18:31   #694
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Sir, the U clamp claws over the leaf springs and is fastened to the axle.
You said it holds the leafs together, but the real purpose is fastening to the axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Pardon my ignorance since my knowledge here is almost nil, the U-clamp looks like is there for a purpose and isnt it dangerous to be driving without one .I mean what are the chances that a leaf may break and affect the dampeners ?
That is why we have post-offroad service to check for damages. I am not sure when I lost the U-clamp, it was there when I left Sanivarsante. Before a long trip I always look under and check the leaf-spring status after the scare in Munnar. Today we checked because I saw a leaf out of alignment.
Old 16th September 2009, 20:38   #695
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
.. the U-clamp looks like is there for a purpose and isnt it dangerous to be driving without one .I mean what are the chances that a leaf may break and affect the dampeners ?

Check this OTR report for what can happen if the U-clamps go for a toss. It REALLY can be a nightmare.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ising-otr.html
Old 16th September 2009, 20:55   #696
Senior - BHPian

Sharat,

The pic is of my CJ340 front right leaf. Why are there so many fastners and what is the benefit of so many? I think I also see a dampner between the leaf and diff housing. Does your jeep have/had one?

Regds
Santosh
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-1.jpg  

Old 16th September 2009, 22:06   #697
Team-BHP Support

Fasteners help keeping the leafs together while they rub against each other. The dampener or padding ensure that the leafs don't get smacked against the axle housing if the bolts loosen up. Imagine if there is no padding and bolts are loose.
Old 16th September 2009, 23:41   #698
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Check this OTR report for what can happen if the U-clamps go for a toss. It REALLY can be a nightmare.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ising-otr.html
This is why I am scared of long solo drives in Jeep and always prefer a convoy. Imagine getting standed in Bisle ghat if this had aggravated.
Old 17th September 2009, 00:11   #699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Sharat,

Why are there so many fastners and what is the benefit of so many?

Regds
Santosh
The below pic must be self explanatory.
Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-dsc01766.jpg

Without those fasteners you will break the main leaf when you do extreme articulation.

P.S: that pic is of my Jeep's suspension in an OTR
Old 17th September 2009, 12:16   #700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
P.S: that pic is of my Jeep's suspension in an OTR
Wow, was this during the articulation move? Or is it bent/broken? Or did it come back to position afterwards?

Do you suggest those fastners will break loose in an extreme OTR and its good to refix them often? Or will they never come loose once fixed?
Old 17th September 2009, 13:02   #701
BANNED

Quote:
Do you suggest those fastners will break loose in an extreme OTR and its good to refix them often? Or will they never come loose once fixed?
As the leaf's rub against each other the fasteners develop some play, over time get loose and fall off. You need to tighten them if they are loose.

They are very cheap to buy and easily available. Its recommended to replace missing ones as soon as possible.

Missing fasteners resulted in a broken leaf on my Jeep.

Last edited by Spitfire : 17th September 2009 at 13:03.
Old 17th September 2009, 13:28   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, was this during the articulation move? Or is it bent/broken? Or did it come back to position afterwards?

Santosh, It was due to shakle turned in the opposite direction during too much of articulation. When this happens, the chances are high that you break the main leaf. If you recamber the leafs to gain lift, this is one of the side effects you may have. You need a high lift jack in such situations to get it back to position.

And regarding fasteners, there are two types. if you notice mine and yours, they both are different. Your's seems to be an after market job which will fall off over time as they will become loose. If you observe mine and Samurai's rear leaf, the fasteners are rivetted to the leaf and packed with a cross bolt. These will not become loose and also they will not fall.

Last edited by star_aqua : 17th September 2009 at 13:31.
Old 23rd September 2009, 12:52   #703
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - shackle reversing cannot happen by design. It is protected by dimensioning. It is the result of uncontrolled aftermarket activity on the car. I once again request everybody to use only design intent parts. In the car photograph in Santosh's post, design intent shackles are not there.

Dear Sharath - ref your post no 561, the dampening between the spring leaves is provided by the antifriction coating on the leaves. This should not be disturbed. Aftermarket addition of spring leaf clamps is not correct as complete spring characteristics get destroyed (but people do not understand and still resort to such practices). This should not be done. Essentially leaf springs must be replaced as an assembly, both LH and RH at the same time.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 24th September 2009, 11:45   #704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - shackle reversing cannot happen by design. It is protected by dimensioning. It is the result of uncontrolled aftermarket activity on the car. I once again request everybody to use only design intent parts. In the car photograph in Santosh's post, design intent shackles are not there.

Dear Sharath - ref your post no 561, the dampening between the spring leaves is provided by the antifriction coating on the leaves. This should not be disturbed. Aftermarket addition of spring leaf clamps is not correct as complete spring characteristics get destroyed (but people do not understand and still resort to such practices). This should not be done. Essentially leaf springs must be replaced as an assembly, both LH and RH at the same time.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Sir,
I think by design intent you mean the length of the shackle. I have seen shackle reversal due to over cambering of the leaf spring. Can this be one of the reasons?

Also regarding a protective layer on leaf, how does one protect it? My leaf is more than 19 years old. I must have lost that layer long back!! Jeep rides well after a wash, later becomes stiff:-)) However the leaf springs are still taught!
Old 29th September 2009, 18:29   #705
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Vinod - blatant changes conducted by technicians without the knowledge of the owner or with the knowledge of the owner whose ego is boosted by incorrectly believing that "bigger is better" leads to such idiotic results. It can never happen if design intent parts are used. That's the difference between a new vehicle that you buy from the showroom and something that you buy which resembles a vehicle. How may times I must have mentioned this but people still pay good money to spoil their vehicles. What can you do except pity the vehicle.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Most Viewed