Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2010, 23:30   #1081
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
FIC in lieu of fiddling with control lever end stops.
Oh, is it not working very well on account of cable being too long.
Old 27th August 2010, 09:02   #1082
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
But as the fuel level drops to say 2/3rd tank, the symptom becomes serious.

After this I thought I had solved the low idle problem. But the stalling while climbing was still bothering me. I didn't think that had anything to do with low idling speed. That stalling was happening even with a floored pedal, it is accompanied with falling oil pressure. Generally the oil pressure should hit 4 bar when the key is turned, even before cranking. But here it was only rising if I start the engine and floor the pedal.
Hello Samurai I have read all posts regarding this particular problem, but something is confusing me
1) the first line I quoted above points towards inadiquate diesel supply

the second line ( above quoted above ) adds to more confusion

This is the falling oil pressure , now why this is happening .I have thought following
1) Overheating due to starving
2) Oil supply problem coupled with this diesel supply problem ( a mere coincidence)
3) This is just pure speculation ,please note a wild guess . you may discover this at the pump service ( FIP )
Now my thinking is the FIP has lost its main oil seal ( towards timing gear ) & loosing internal pressure & thus leaking diesel in the engine causing the oil to get THINNER & the oil pressure meter is showing low oil pressure .

I am linking the oil pressure issue to your diesel supply problem.

Now on this line ,you can check the following if possible
1) keep watch on oil level for abnormal increase or consumption variations
2) watch for excessive smoke
3) drain oil & inspect for diesel smell , thickness etc
4) observe for excessive diesel consumption

I found this low oil pressure coupled with this (diesel) problem interesting ,I think BD sir will be able to shed some more light in this issue

Thease are my mere speculations

Yours Sudarshan
Old 27th August 2010, 09:21   #1083
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
3) This is just pure speculation ,please note a wild guess . you may discover this at the pump service ( FIP )
Now my thinking is the FIP has lost its main oil seal ( towards timing gear ) & loosing internal pressure & thus leaking diesel in the engine causing the oil to get THINNER & the oil pressure meter is showing low oil pressure .
When I reported this problem from Bisle Ghat, the mechanic had the same thought. But this lose of oil pressure is not a permanent thing, it happens occasionally. Anyway, my Jeep will go back to the garage next week. Hopefully, the mystery will unravel.

Meanwhile, I had a blown head gasket after the Sharavathy OTR (I know, that report too is pending, too busy these days). While changing the head gasket, the mechanic had noticed scratches in the sleeves. The engine has a rough note thanks to that, says the mechanic. At the flag-off in Somvarpet OTR, couple of locals had asked me whether I am running a DI engine. When I said I have a Peugeot, those guys raised their eye-brows pretty high. What can I say, Coorg is a Jeep country. Anyway, so it is bad enough. I am changing all the sleeves (liners) too.
Old 27th August 2010, 09:34   #1084
BHPian

Sharath Sir,
Even my MM540 has the same Di engine sound, you mention. Mech suggests that the quality of the liners is the culprit and nothing adverse effect, due to that.
I checked my whole engine by dismantling, reassembling, changing parts which needed more tighter clearance, but even after that , the DP engine sounds like a DI engine only.
For Oil consumption, Check the front pulleys, oil seals behind that area, for very small oil seepage, but not visible when you open the bonnet. due to the fan speed, this oil will route its way as far as the gearbox, pls note.
Regards
Old 27th August 2010, 09:37   #1085
Team-BHP Support

Shekaran, the oil level is at the max level. Mech had me check it when I reported from Bisle ghat.
Old 27th August 2010, 09:40   #1086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Meanwhile, I had a blown head gasket after the Sharavathy OTR...
So, that explains below

Quote:
Half the adventure is enabled by the Jeep, the remaining half is because of the Jeep
Since you introduced a new tangent into this IDLE issue, I have to ask this. Did the mech do a good job on the head gasket job? I think loss of compression would also lead to the idle problem, right?

Oh, hope to see the 'bible' revived for Sunday morning prayers

-------Edit-------

Quote:
....3) This is just pure speculation ,please note a wild guess . you may discover this at the pump service ( FIP ) Now my thinking is the FIP has lost its main oil seal ( towards timing gear ) & loosing internal pressure & thus leaking diesel in the engine causing the oil to get THINNER & the oil pressure meter is showing low oil pressure .....
Sharat/Sudarshan - What a point!! My Jeep had EXACT same issue... Somewhere in my thread I asked a 'un-answered' question of "Is FE a parameter for the jeep's health"... many ridiculed that and a Jeep and FE dont go together..!! Later I found out the timing-gear side Oil seal bust in my FIP, and diesel was leaking all over the FIP/Engine block and well into the engine and mixing with engine oil...!! The oil would thin out very FAST and the it WILL show in the FE... I once got 8Kmpl on highway roads which was way below a 340/540 class FE of 10-11.

Last edited by svsantosh : 27th August 2010 at 09:46.
Old 27th August 2010, 10:53   #1087
Team-BHP Support

Sharath where are you planning to do the engine overhaul? If you are going for it, do it completely and at a competent engine overhaul place.
Old 27th August 2010, 12:08   #1088
Team-BHP Support

No engine overhaul, just changing the liners. I give it to the same mechanic who does all the work for Sachin.
Old 27th August 2010, 13:52   #1089
BANNED

Quote:
When I reported this problem from Bisle Ghat, the mechanic had the same thought.

Meanwhile, I had a blown head gasket after the Sharavathy OTR

At the flag-off in Somvarpet OTR, couple of locals had asked me whether I am running a DI engine. When I said I have a Peugeot, those guys raised their eye-brows pretty high. What can I say, Coorg is a Jeep country..
Wow Sharathji you have done it , welcome to Jeep family ( the real ones ) blown the gasket

And those locals , my hats off to them . A true Jeep country

Did that mech look like me ?

Yours Sudarshan
Old 27th August 2010, 14:53   #1090
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No engine overhaul, just changing the liners.
And putting in new rings too, I hope?
Old 27th August 2010, 15:00   #1091
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No engine overhaul, just changing the liners. I give it to the same mechanic who does all the work for Sachin.
I suggest if you are going to open up, do a complete overhaul. OR eventually you will have to do the same thing again. Liner change will require complete engine dismantle as far as i know. So don't miss that opportunity to set things in order. I don't know Sachin's mechanic but please ensure with multiple feedbacks about his engine work skills. Its a tricky job and if you get it wrong, it will trouble you like crazy.

Since engine is in a decent shape, this time it would be easy and cheaper, also you can have a perfect CJ340 for the next decade atleast once you do a complete overhaul.
Old 27th August 2010, 15:44   #1092
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wow Sharathji you have done it , welcome to Jeep family ( the real ones ) blown the gasket
Not the first time under my ownership. It had happened once in 2008 too.

Quote:
Did that mech look like me ?
He is in the 50s, and I don't know how you look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
And putting in new rings too, I hope?
Goes with the territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I suggest if you are going to open up, do a complete overhaul. OR eventually you will have to do the same thing again.
It was opened up once in 2008 and they found it was already on 1st oversize. They figured it was good enough for 40,000km more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I don't know Sachin's mechanic but please ensure with multiple feedbacks about his engine work skills. Its a tricky job and if you get it wrong, it will trouble you like crazy.
He has rebuilt multiple engines (petrol/diesel) for Sachin himself. The XD3P he rebuilt for the MM550 was shown to Sudhir Kashyap and he gave it full marks going by the healthy sound. He is considered the best in the district.
Old 27th August 2010, 16:20   #1093
Senior - BHPian

Fip

Quote:
H
2) Oil supply problem coupled with this diesel supply problem ( a mere coincidence)

Hi Sudarshan,

That's an very interesting observation.

I faced this problem in June 2006, just after I finished the run-in period of 1000kms after rebuilding the engine in March 2006.

Once I noticed the Drop in Oil-Pressure, I rushed to garage and dropped the JEEP there.

Had to get the FIP serviced and obviously changed the engine oil.

Regards,

Arka
Old 27th August 2010, 19:01   #1094
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It was opened up once in 2008 and they found it was already on 1st oversize. They figured it was good enough for 40,000km more.
Samu i think you are not getting my point, if you are installing a new liner set then it has to be with new pistons and rings. Otherwise you are doing only half the job. Outcome will be by chance.

How did they deduct 40k life, did they do any measurement using micro meter?

And what about bearings, seals, packing etc. When you strip the engine, isn't it better to do a complete overhaul? IIRC you have new head set up, then that makes life easy.

Just inspect everything and replace all the worn out parts, so that you don't have to worry about the engine for next 80-1 lakh kms. Also take this opportunity to set up the FIP, injectors etc so that the engine purrrrs and peace of mind for couple of years atleast.

Thats what i would opt for.
Old 27th August 2010, 21:19   #1095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Samurai I have read all posts regarding this particular problem, but something is confusing me

Yours Sudarshan
Hi,
Interesting observation.

In another thread, Tanveer raised the issue of lubricity of BS4 Diesel.
While doing some googling on it, came across the fact that the major source of problem was seal leakage, and one post specifically mentioned Bosch VE pumps. I think we are going to start seeing this problem.

Regards
Sutripta

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks