Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2010, 14:07   #1096
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday the mechanic picked up the Jeep from my office. I have given the following action list:

1) FIP/Injector calibration.
2) Engine overhaul
3) Gearbox alignment
4) Check engine mounts.

Supposedly one week worth of work.
Old 23rd September 2010, 23:22   #1097
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Sharath - oh my God, the things you have done to your CJ340 should put you into the Limca Book of Records! . This means that when you bought your green vehicle with the TN registration, you just bought it's identity. Sad. Very sad.

BUY THE THAR. IT'S IN A DIFFERENT LEAGUE ALTOGETHER.

I am going to Waynad tomorrow. Meeting 521 at Calicut airport. Yaaaayyyyy! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 24th September 2010, 23:38   #1098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
BUY THE THAR
When Mr Behram...., when will it be available off the shelf in India...?
Old 10th October 2010, 19:37   #1099
Team-BHP Support

Reached Manipal today evening, at my office. Two minutes later, the mechanic drives up in the Jeep. Some timing!

The Engine is overhauled. Pistons, rings, sleeves and some other parts replaced. It is a big list.

The gearbox serviced, one shim needed to be added since the synchronizer ring was slipping.

The fuel pump and injector calibrated. The electric pump thrown away.

Steering box serviced. Broken mirror replaced. Lost driver side flap replaced.

Final bill 25k.

I could start the engine without even waiting to heat. It purred with lot less sound. Can't remember it being so smooth ever. There is slight "tata taka" sound which the mechanic said will go away once the run-in is over and head is re-tightened.

PS: After this, I don't think there is even a single major part in my Jeep that has not been replaced or serviced in the last 2 years. Go ahead, think of something...

Last edited by Samurai : 10th October 2010 at 20:15.
Old 10th October 2010, 20:26   #1100
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
PS: After this, I don't think there is even a single major part in my Jeep that has not been replaced or serviced in the last 2 years. Go ahead, think of something...
The pedals??

On a serious note, I recall a bus, which was more than 20 years old, going by its registration number. This was more than 20 years back, when I used to operate a bus. Curious, I asked the RTO why that bus is being allowed to operate (the permissible maximum age back then was 16 years,IIRC). The answer was that the owner had replaced the entire bus when the bus met with a a train at a level crossing, and as was the practice then (when that meeting happened), vehicles replacign totalled vehicles were given old registration number.
Old 10th October 2010, 20:45   #1101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
The pedals??
Have been removed and put back during body work. Consider it serviced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
The answer was that the owner had replaced the entire bus when the bus met with a a train at a level crossing, and as was the practice then (when that meeting happened), vehicles replacign totalled vehicles were given old registration number.
My Jeep is more like a grandfather's axe. Both the tip and the handle have been replaced.
Old 11th October 2010, 12:17   #1102
Senior - BHPian

How about the front and rear diff/axles? Have they been fully opened up and serviced?

Thinking about it, What is so major in a Jeep other than 3 major things. Engine, GB-TC, the axle housings.
Old 11th October 2010, 13:17   #1103
BHPian

Santhosh,
you missed The diesel pump. One of the most important thing in a Jeep.Regular service of Diesel pump will help to get Fuel efficiency and Pulling power for our old Engines.
- Sreejesh
Old 11th October 2010, 13:26   #1104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
How about the front and rear diff/axles? Have they been fully opened up and serviced?
That was done long back when I first purchased the Jeep.

Quote:
Thinking about it, What is so major in a Jeep other than 3 major things. Engine, GB-TC, the axle housings.
Give it one more year, you'll find out more. There is the FIP, then the starter motor, alternator, entire cooling system, steering system, etc.
Old 12th October 2010, 09:04   #1105
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Sharath - please replace engine oil at 500 kms and again at 2000 kms alongwith new oil filters everytime. Please remove the oil yourself and check for metallic particles in it. Please torque cylinder head bolts and set tappets at 500 kms. It is necessary to use a crowfoot spanner to access cylinder head bolts below the rocker arm. If your technician does not have a crow foot spanner, please make one by cutting a ring spanner and welding it to a socket with a half inch square drive. If he does not understand this, he will have to physically remove the rocker arm assembly, torque the cylinder head by using normal tools and then refit the rocker arm which is a cumbersome process so it is best avoided. It is necessary to set tappets once again at 2000 kms but it is not required to retorque the cylinder head at that time. All this process must be carried out with the engine in dead cold condition, means standing overnight. For any further query, please call me, I will guide you in totality, sitting here in Nasik, 1200 kms away from you.

I trust your technician has access to original XDP4.90 engine specification values.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 12th October 2010, 09:29   #1106
Team-BHP Support

Behram, thanks for the info. I'll pass the details to the mechanic. BTW, he builds at least 2 engines per month, so he'll probably know this. He has asked me to bring it back after 1000kms for re-torquing the heads.
Old 14th October 2010, 16:31   #1107
Senior - BHPian

Sharat, I asked the same question to Beejay ooty after his rebuild. Let me ask you the same.

What was/is the oil pressure and running temperature before and after the rebuild?
Old 10th November 2010, 22:51   #1108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What was/is the oil pressure and running temperature before and after the rebuild?
Oil pressure, no difference noted. Engine temp, since thermostat is not installed, used to be between 40-60C, but now does go up till 70 on prolonged run.

Today night, I was forced to take the Jeep to go home. Some nut had blocked the road to my house by parking in the middle of the road, GV couldn't squeeze through. Had to come back to office for the Jeep.

Anyway, it has been 20 days since the last time I touched it. Wasn't very sure it will start easily. There was chill in the night air too. I climbed in, turned on the power, waited for the heater timer to switch off and cranked. It started!!!

Imagine, a Jeep starting at first crank after 20 days of inactivity. I am impressed.
Old 10th November 2010, 23:59   #1109
BHPian

Sharath Sir,
am interested to know how to have automatic heater as in your jeep ?
i presume that your engine is xdp only...as my xdp engine needs a full 30-40 sec heater for every cold start.
Thanks for your posts, as it has been my knowledge base, reading about all the works you have done in your jeep.
Jeeps are not Bought but Built - stands for you 101% Sir. Your Signature Endorses the real fact of jeeping.
Old 11th November 2010, 09:13   #1110
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Shekaran. Yes, my engine is XDP. During the rebuild I have added a timer switch. I don't have to hold it at half-crank to heat the glow plugs. I turn the key to power (2nd position), leave it there (about 5 sec) until the light goes off, then crank.

Most Viewed