Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2011, 00:36   #1141
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family

BTW, I forgot to mention that the Jeep is back. It started at first crank although I started it after 10 days of inactivity. The engine is very smooth and feels very light. Almost like a new engine.

Looks like I will be driving it again back to Bangalore (400Kms) for the annual OTR. Such is the confidence level now.
Old 5th January 2011, 09:05   #1142
Team-BHP Support

I had also asked the mechanic to replace the hood latches that have rusted. But he didn't replace them. When asked he said he couldn't source good quality latches. He said M&M latches are really bad ones.

Today when I saw this photo in Thar thread, I remembered it.

The latch has already nicked the paint even before delivery. I have seen good quality steel latches with a plate on the back, so that the sharp part of the latch doesn't touch the body. But the M&M OE latches are just pathetic, as you can see above.
Old 5th January 2011, 10:11   #1143
BHPian

sharath sir,
get rugged ridge hood latch from amazon, for 1000 bucks. its a bit costly but worth the money bcoz it comes in powder coated, good quality steel, also the inner steel part like you mentioned.
Best regards.
Old 6th January 2011, 01:17   #1144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaran View Post
get rugged ridge hood latch from amazon, for 1000 bucks. its a bit costly but worth the money bcoz it comes in powder coated, good quality steel, also the inner steel part like you mentioned.
Not a bad idea. Just placed the order!

Amazon.com: Bestop 51291-01 Replacement Hood Latch Kit: Automotive
Old 6th January 2011, 13:58   #1145
BHPian

Amazon.com: Rugged Ridge 11116.02 Cast Stainless Hood Catch - Pair: Automotive

better try this also sharath sir. or

Amazon.com: 97-06 Jeep Wrangler Locking Hood Latch Set in BLACK: Automotive

most apt for indian jeeps, also one of the best hood locks.
Best Regards.
Old 6th January 2011, 14:37   #1146
Team-BHP Support

Shekaran, those latches don't belong to CJ series Jeeps. I am no purist, but I don't want the most modern part of my Jeep to be a hood latch. Right now, the tyres are the only modern technology on my Jeep.
Old 6th January 2011, 17:22   #1147
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am no purist, but I don't want the most modern part of my Jeep to be a hood latch.
We Jeepers!

Does Amazon ship to India? This does open up an interesting option to purchase Jeep knick-knacks!
Old 7th January 2011, 07:40   #1148
Team-BHP Support

No, Amazon doesn't ship anything other than Books/CD/DVD & Kindle to India. I have somebody coming to India next week.
Old 25th January 2011, 18:48   #1149
Team-BHP Support

One of the biggest challenges of owning a Jeep in India is the parts quality. Even if you are willing to spend quality money, you can't get quality parts. Some you get from Mahindra, some you can get from independent parts makers, but some you can't get at all.

For example, independent parts makers make better water hoses than Mahindra OEM. They are even properly tagged unlike the Mahindra OEM part. After going through multiple water hoses, I know that now.

When I got my Jeep completely rebuilt last year, I could buy front grill, hood, fenders from independent makers. But there was one part that was not available. The hood latch! Neither the rebuilder, nor my current mechanic could replace the hood latch, because good hood latches are not available. I was told that, if they ever see a good hood latch, they will let me know. So I was managing with the bad rusted hood latch all this time.

Now, you might think hood latch is a hood latch, why do you need a good one?

This is what happens with a bad hood latch:

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p1250298.jpg

The brand new paint was scratched once the hood latch was connected. The scratch on the left side was caused by the side pointy thing, since the latch couldn't sit straight. The scratch in the middle is dug all the way to the metal. That has happened at all latch points. When the hood is open, it doesn't always stay out of the way. By mistake if somebody had pushed it forward, it can further scratch the paint when the hood is closed.

This is what happens if the latch is leaning forward when the hood is being closed.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p1250296.jpg

If you see few posts behind (post #1142), you can find even the brand new Thar coming out with sub-standard latches which has already nicked the paint. So there was no hope for my old Jeep. Mahindra obviously has no plans to make high quality latches.

Recently shekaran mentioned the idea of getting the latches from Amazon.com, and I jumped at it right away.

Yesterday, the imported latches were installed when I had given the Jeep for greasing after the Sunday drive. As I went to pick up the Jeep, first thing Prakashanna (our master mechanic) pointed out was the spring action of the imported latches. He was mesmerized by it. It moves out of the way when disconnected.

If you look from the top, you'll notice that it is not touching the body, also it stays parallel to the bodyline.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p1250289.jpg

Yes, it is just a hood latch, from an independent part maker. But, notice the attention to details, how such a minor part is engineered. If the whole Jeep is crafted this way, can you imagine how reliable even a Jeep can become? One can only wish.

All the above photos were taken with the new latch, that is why they are so shiny and neat, down to the bolts that came with it.

The 4 hood latches cost me $19, shipping was free. Somebody carried it for me from USA.

Last edited by Samurai : 25th January 2011 at 18:57.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2011, 19:07   #1150
Senior - BHPian

Nice simple part which makes so much sense.

Only on Team-Bhp included with a video review.
Old 25th January 2011, 19:25   #1151
Team-BHP Support

Shall promptly carry a star screw driver for aavalconda

Super stuff Samurai, really worth it!! I will get a set when DwArF is ready for a paint job.

EDIT: Your mech is not alone, am watching the video in loop lol
Old 25th January 2011, 19:42   #1152
Senior - BHPian

Sam, those are really good quality hood latches. Thanks for sharing!

Spike

PS- You can try M6 x 1.0 screw with a different head (that would make it difficult to steal)
Old 25th January 2011, 22:17   #1153
Senior - BHPian

To avoid the scratches by the hood latch, one can add a steel plate or a rubber strip as shown below (in green color)

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-jeep_latch.jpg

Anyway this will still not solve the paint scratches created at other spots as shown in Samurai's photo.
Old 25th January 2011, 23:07   #1154
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Only on Team-Bhp included with a video review.
Very true! Can't imagine them being discussed anywhere with anyone else without being considered insane!
Old 26th January 2011, 00:05   #1155
BHPian

Samurai San,
It made the writer in you, making another best review of a jeep accesory, surely worthy of mention !!!
I hope parts for the jeep are made with (what you have said) thoughts in mind, and if that happens, we all can say that jeep is one truly indestructible vehicle !
Thanks again for making jeepers aware of one more best jeep accesory.
Best Regards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks