Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:28   #556
Senior - BHPian

Fishing, material handling, you-name-it, there has to be snatch block and recovery stuff available in India in some industry or other. Trouble is knowing the nomenclature and where to find it. I took a quick look at Google, it might be there but I did not see it. There are recovery vehcles, right? What equipment do they use, I wonder?

Last edited by DirtyDan : 23rd February 2009 at 14:31.
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:45   #557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Fishing, material handling, you-name-it, there has to be snatch block and recovery stuff available in India in some industry or other. Trouble is knowing the nomenclature and where to find it. I took a quick look at Google, it might be there but I did not see it. There are recovery vehcles, right? What equipment do they use, I wonder?
DD, The answer is here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...4x4-india.html

Thanks
Sree
Old 24th February 2009, 09:01   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
On a stock 48" axle? Got to check with him then.
Correct me if I am wrong, but axle length should not matter if you want to install LSD. LSDs are made for a particular Differential model numbers ie., Dana 44, Dana 25. Most Mahindra Jeeps and Willys CJ3Bs use the Dana 44 diffs with differences being mainly in length of axles diff ratios and spline count.

So, in theory LSD from an Army 550 should work well on your CJ340. Experts please confirm what is involved in this change. I am planning to do on my Willys 3B.

If you want to go in for lockers similar to Shahnawaz's Gypsy, check out the link below. This one is specific for the Dana44:
POWERTRAX LOCK-RIGHT Locker Installation & Review

There is a very informative article on Axles and Differentials on the CJ3B page here:
Willys Jeep Axles on The CJ3B Page

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 24th February 2009 at 09:02.
Old 24th February 2009, 09:22   #559
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but axle length should not matter if you want to install LSD.
It is not just the length, when I said 48 inch axle of CJ340 vs 51 inch axle of Classic, it goes without saying that axle housing, axle ratio and spline count differ.
Old 24th February 2009, 20:10   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but axle length should not matter if you want to install LSD. LSDs are made for a particular Differential model numbers ie., Dana 44, Dana 25. Most Mahindra Jeeps and Willys CJ3Bs use the Dana 44 diffs with differences being mainly in length of axles diff ratios and spline count.

So, in theory LSD from an Army 550 should work well on your CJ340. Experts please confirm what is involved in this change. I am planning to do on my Willys 3B.

If you want to go in for lockers similar to Shahnawaz's Gypsy, check out the link below. This one is specific for the Dana44:
POWERTRAX LOCK-RIGHT Locker Installation & Review

There is a very informative article on Axles and Differentials on the CJ3B page here:
Willys Jeep Axles on The CJ3B Page
Well, the sad part for Jeeps are, they still use the Pre-Historic 19 splines. So there are no choice for a manual lock like ARB. All you have got is LSD and Lockers. though the spline counts are same for MM5**/CJ3B/CJ340 what you have to look for is the final drive ratio. I think 5.88 is the final drive ratio of CJ3B and CJ340 so you have to select the appropriate part number like (Dana44-19 Spline <Your drive ratio>)

Quote:
It is not just the length, when I said 48 inch axle of CJ340 vs 51 inch axle of Classic, it goes without saying that axle housing, axle ratio and spline count differ.
Spline cont is same of all mahindra Jeeps Samurai, which is 19 spline.

Auburn Gear Positraction High Performance Series
Auburn High Performance LS - Free Shipping at 4WS.COM
Powertrax: Powertrax 92 0444 1900 @ Peyton Performance Automotive
PT 92-0444-1900 [Dana 44 19sp] - $425.00 : JTs Parts & Accessories, Justdifferentials.com

Courtesy Arka

Thanks
--Sree--

Last edited by sreerajunnithan : 24th February 2009 at 20:13.
Old 24th February 2009, 22:51   #561
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Spline cont is same of all mahindra Jeeps Samurai, which is 19 spline.
Are you sure? I remember counting 10 splines in my Jeep.
Old 24th February 2009, 22:53   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure? I remember counting 10 splines in my Jeep.
I think you counted it on the hubs side.
Old 3rd March 2009, 23:39   #563
BHPian

the Pre-Historic had 10 splines on the diff side, the later had 19 splines and the recent (<5yrs) have 30 spline..
Old 12th March 2009, 18:19   #564
Team-BHP Support

I am experiencing death wobble in my Jeep since couple of weeks. Every time it happened, I was able to calmly deal with it since I understood what it was.

After referring to Arka's Death Wobble guide in Jeep Thrills, I have diagnosed it as a problem with steering box, may be it is loose. The steering wheel moves up and down when I try to shake it vertically.
Old 12th March 2009, 19:32   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am experiencing death wobble in my Jeep since couple of weeks. Every time it happened, I was able to calmly deal with it since I understood what it was.

After referring to Arka's Death Wobble guide in Jeep Thrills, I have diagnosed it as a problem with steering box, may be it is loose. The steering wheel moves up and down when I try to shake it vertically.
Ah, tilt wheel! Nice addition. Didn't you just tighten that up a short time ago? Maybe just the brace is loose?

Last edited by DirtyDan : 12th March 2009 at 19:34.
Old 12th March 2009, 20:44   #566
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ah, tilt wheel! Nice addition. Didn't you just tighten that up a short time ago? Maybe just the brace is loose?
That was just before leaving for the Munnar trip, I've done 2000+ Kms since then. I don't know how to look it up myself. Need to visit the mechanic.
Old 12th March 2009, 21:28   #567
BHPian

Quote:

Sharath,
Check the knuckle kit bolts. If it is loose, it can wobble. People normally overlook that aspect. This can possibly be followed by checking all the linkages and the king pin assembly and the steering box mounting. Chances of a vertical play in the steering rod creating a wobble is remote.
Suresh
Old 13th March 2009, 02:19   #568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe just the brace is loose?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suresh Stephen View Post
Sharath,
Check the knuckle kit bolts. If it is loose, it can wobble. People normally overlook that aspect. This can possibly be followed by checking all the linkages and the king pin assembly and the steering box mounting. Chances of a vertical play in the steering rod creating a wobble is remote.
Suresh
Yeah. The things that hold the steering column in place can be checked by you easy enough. Just trace it back thru the firewall and wiggle it.
Old 13th March 2009, 05:33   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suresh Stephen View Post
Sharath,
Suresh
+1 to that Samurai. U need to address your steering box as well. You remember i and Jammy were tightening Santhaosh's Knuckle Kit?

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-wheel.jpg

You can tighten the same bolts. You need to tight it both sides. I think there are six bolts all around on that plate. Once you are done, do some rough driving and check if wobble is still there. Hit hump/pot hole in 50-60/kmh. Your steering may feel more firm after you tight both sides. If problem persist, then you may check the 4 bolts which you can see right above my hand (Kingpin Bearing). If not resolved, go to a mech, but i am sure your problem will get fixed by this.

Thanks
--Sree--

Last edited by sreerajunnithan : 13th March 2009 at 05:35.
Old 13th March 2009, 09:24   #570
Team-BHP Support

Ah! I took that photograph thinking it will be a reference for what to do when wheel goes wobbling. Didn't know I'll be the first person to need that reference.

Most Viewed