Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2009, 03:01   #751
BHPian

Quote:
Also, how many of you have driven with a frog on the windshield. This frog jumped from the top to the inside of the windshield while I was on the road.

Attachment 217064

Since I didn't chase it away, it continued to live in the Jeep. A week later it jumped on my thigh, then crotch, then the passenger seat while I was battling it in one hand and driving in the other hand. That day I chased it out of the Jeep near my son's school. Haven't seen it since.

Dear Samurai San,
It was nice to see such a Jeep loving amphibian. No wonder he would have fallen in love with your Cj (rem the another Cj of baywatch fame). Seeing Cj so much at home in water, slush, mud and land I wonder they are naturally (err biologically) attracted.

And I think he must have gotten a bit jealous of you (having her all by yourself). Good you got rid of him after all. I wonder what his intentions were when he tried crawling onto your crouch..

btw, congrats, for single offhandedly winning the duel

Last edited by khan_sultan : 31st October 2009 at 09:51.
Old 31st October 2009, 18:20   #752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It is a huge difference compared to the wrong shocks experience. Now I have to remember how it felt a month before with the old shocks. Give me some time, now I can start doing some real test.
Samurai, Can we call them dampers, ? Somehow, shocks does not sound right, coming from you.
Old 31st October 2009, 18:33   #753
Team-BHP Support

Coming from me? But why? Shocks is a well accepted term. Check out the Bilstein website: Bilstein
Old 31st October 2009, 19:25   #754
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Somehow, shocks does not sound right
Don't you think that's purely relative to where you grow up? We've always called them shocks as an abbreviation for shock absorbers. No one will draw a blank across India when you say shocks. Chances are they will when you call them dampers
Old 1st November 2009, 20:46   #755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Coming from me? But why? Shocks is a well accepted term. Check out the Bilstein website: Bilstein
I thought you were a stickler for perfection, and I thought Damper is the correct term. The link just goes to show how little I know.. Should learn to keep my mouth shut.
Old 2nd November 2009, 21:25   #756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
I thought you were a stickler for perfection, and I thought Damper is the correct term. The link just goes to show how little I know.. Should learn to keep my mouth shut.
In most of the world, if you put pretty much the same thing, a shock absorber, on the steering arm it is then called a 'steering damper'. Go figure. Kuttapan, we all know you folk who live 'down under' have to do things bass ackwards. It has to do with all that living upside down like bats under the equator. That has to play hell with the circulation in your brain pans.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 2nd November 2009 at 21:31.
Old 2nd November 2009, 22:28   #757
Distinguished - BHPian

SOME VERY IMPORTANT THOUGHTS:

Dear Sharath - I am very happy to read that your vehicle is running nicely after you have fitted the correct shock absorbers. A really nicely setup CL340 will corner at good speeds with good feedback from the suspension to the operator. This sets me thinking, and I have been thinking this for a long time - "because you got guided properly, your vehicle is now running properly". That said, my query is - "what happens to normal customers"? I request for comments from you / others also.

Dear Desert King - ref your post no 609 on wheel alignment, please note that as a design requirement, a suspension system should not necessarily need any attention at intervals even far exceeding 100000 kms. We have numerous vehicles doing 200000 kms in just more than a year without any suspension issue at all, with normal tyre life. Again, in a case-by-case basis where you are interacting with your vehicle at all times, your vehicle's behaviour will tell you not to interfere with it. Conversely, your vehicle's mis-behaviour (its behaviour will change suddenly one day), will tell you immediately when it is time to do something. If you analyse step-by-step, your vehicle will actually talk to you and tell you what you should be doing to it. For example, more than 70% of the "so-called wheel alignment" problems can be solved without putting the vehicle through the "so called" wheel alignment process. But, the trick is in - PINPOINTING EXACTLY WHAT TO DO TO SET THE CAR RIGHT!

Dear all - today I can state here with all humility that I HAPPEN TO HAVE THIS ALMOST UNIQUE ABILITY OF PINPOINTING EXACTLY WHAT TO DO TO SET THE CAR RIGHT (see Sharath's shock absorber example, even the best guys goof up / take incorrect actions). Therefore, please do write in with all your queries / suggestions, I will try and answer them to the best of my ability. Maybe we can have a thread for it. I don't know how it works. You guys may decide.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 3rd November 2009, 15:44   #758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
In most of the world, if you put pretty much the same thing, a shock absorber, on the steering arm it is then called a 'steering damper'. Go figure. Kuttapan, we all know you folk who live 'down under' have to do things bass ackwards. It has to do with all that living upside down like bats under the equator. That has to play hell with the circulation in your brain pans.
On a spherical object, kind of hard to figure out who is on top and who is 'down under', dont ya think? Been here for a few months only, so guess I have not been influenced much. Guess where I was for a year, before coming down under? The US of A !! Anyways, I prefer to call them dampers.
Old 3rd November 2009, 19:15   #759
BHPian

Quote:
SOME VERY IMPORTANT THOUGHTS:

Dear Sharath -This sets me thinking, and I have been thinking this for a long time - "because you got guided properly, your vehicle is now running properly". That said, my query is - "what happens to normal customers"? I request for comments from you / others also.
Even My vehicle is running Properly without any hitch. Regardless of not having the Luxury of your advise . It's not that i did not try for your advice, But "I was never guided properly" By you, or i would say "I was never Guided by you at all".

So what happens to the normal customers? Go to a spare parts shop, tell that you want a Shock Absorber for MM540 be specific on brands like Gabriel or any better ones (Gas filled ones are still better). Forget about shocks, i managed to find the oil pressure gauge switch (The electronic one) from a spare parts shop, where as, all of your so called "A.S.S" failed to find it, despite giving the exact part number.

Quote:
Maybe we can have a thread for it. I don't know how it works. You guys may decide.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
This is an excellent idea!!! Moderators please suggest. This is important since you are a very Busy man and you may not be able to answer those tons of PMs.

Thanks
--Sree--

Last edited by sreerajunnithan : 3rd November 2009 at 19:17.
Old 8th November 2009, 13:39   #760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
where as, all of your so called "A.S.S" failed to find it, despite giving the exact part number.

Thanks
--Sree--
Hi Sree forget about A.S.S they don't have the courtesy of Asking a customer what you want, just by hearing the word 5** ,they say we don't have any thing.
Old 8th November 2009, 13:53   #761
Senior - BHPian

I agree! Most dealers and *** centres have no idea what to do when they see a 540/550. They actually treat us with disdain as they much rather prefer the Scorpio customer. I am sure most of us here are technically sounder than half the idiot mechanics in the Mahindra service centres.
The dealer in madurai, "SUSEE", stocks no 540 parts and is the least interested in procuring it either.
Old 8th November 2009, 18:05   #762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
I agree! Most dealers The dealer in madurai, "SUSEE", stocks no 540 parts and is the least interested in procuring it either.
Ya i agree with you, here in Bangalore other than India garage no A,S,S, has..... forget about Spares they already thrown 5** Parts catalog to dustbin.

Even they don't know 1st generation of Boleros has the Same engine and Gear Box as 550.
Old 8th November 2009, 21:06   #763
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Even My vehicle is running Properly without any hitch. Regardless of not having the Luxury of your advise . It's not that i did not try for your advice, But "I was never guided properly" By you, or i would say "I was never Guided by you at all". ...
Sreerajunnithan,

Just so that there are no misunderstandings i want to point this out :

Firstly, whatever DHABHAR.BEHRAM does here is of his personal desire to help members out. Lets not even for a second think that he is required to help anyone out for any reason at all.
He does what he can, when he can. Sometimes people have the luxury and good-fortune of his advice (and they should be happy), and other times, I'm sure he has important matters he needs to attend to elsewhere (and members should understand this too).

Secondly, his interactions in these threads have been entirely in a personal capacity so far. He is not officially representing or acting on behalf of any manufacturer (therefore comments like "your so called A.S.S. failed to find it" might not be correctly addressed in this situation).

Please don't take this post in the wrong way - i just wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
....Therefore, please do write in with all your queries / suggestions, I will try and answer them to the best of my ability. Maybe we can have a thread for it....
BD,

I think the current set-up (ie different threads for each major issue/s) works better than one consolidated thread, as it makes finding specific issues easier for readers and also allows more in-depth and uninterrupted discussion per topic/problem/thread.

cya
R
Old 9th November 2009, 12:31   #764
BHPian

Dear Rehhan,

I agree on some of your points. But not all.

Quote:
Firstly, whatever DHABHAR.BEHRAM does here is of his personal desire to help members out. Lets not even for a second think that he is required to help anyone out for any reason at all.
That's how any public discussion forum works, nothing wrong here. BUT, in that case, B_D never should ask anyone to PM him See this, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post1553950 He can deny help, only if the question is been asked in public. But i personally think that, its is not right to deny the response to some one, in case if you ask him to PM. This is just like, not replying to an email, Ph Call or SMS. I have no doubt that every one will agree with me on this. If you ask someone to PM you, then you "Required" to answer it. Period.

Quote:
and other times, I'm sure he has important matters he needs to attend to elsewhere (and members should understand this too).
We are on the same page here, i know he is a Busy man, hence supporting the seperate thread idea.

Quote:
He is not officially representing or acting on behalf of any manufacturer (therefore comments like "your so called A.S.S. failed to find it" might not be correctly addressed in this situation)
This response is not only for this thread, But B_D always advice all of us to go to Mahindra "A.S.S", if he is not acting on behalf of any Manufacture then he should not insist anyone to go "Authorised" Mahindra workshop only. I know, anyone will advice you to go to an "A.S.S" But, B_D tells the same in a "Strong" way. again, i don't want this thread to be a Battle ground. so Over and Out

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 9th November 2009, 20:51   #765
BHPian

Hi guys, sorry if iam hijacking the thread.I need help with my MM 540. Its been belching blue smoke after being started. The problem was less initially but nowadays its quite a lot. 2 mechanics told me that the diesel pump has some work. any thoughts on what could be wrong. Iam getting a mileage of about 8kms/lt or so. Also bangalore guys, if any of you can help by suggesting a good jeep mechanic or so, it would be nice. Iam fed up of driving in town with "smokey"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks