Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2010, 14:23   #826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfreak View Post
pl forgive me for a question which seems quite dumb..

supitra mentions b 275,what is that? and when u say 91 wb , i presume u are mentioning 91 inches of wheel base, am i right.
Hi,
Guess my nomenclature is not in sync with that of the other forum members.

Mahindra first started dieselising their jeeps by plonking in the engine from one of their tractors - the International B275. ~40 HP. Very slow revving. Came fitted to a CJ3B with a 91 WheelBase, called the CJ500D. We used to (actually still do) refer to those as the B275s. To us those were more tractors than cars.

Later on MM had a mix and match option of engines, gearboxes, WBs, Diff ratios, even different diffs. It would be nice if someone could post an authoritative list, esp. those based on the original (lengthened or 80") C section CJ frame.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 4th January 2010, 12:21   #827
Senior - BHPian

Iam watching this thread as my MM540 also needs body work.
Old 5th January 2010, 17:19   #828
BHPian

thanks sutripta.

gave my jeep for some repairs at the m&m jeep dealership , seems they knew of the petrol jeeps quite a bit.

i have managed to get a glass fuel fillter AO {made in usa} , getting that fitted, new water pump, and other fine tunings of the jeep, lets see how the work turns out and what they charge for it.

a mechanic suggested i get a cng kit fitted on my hurricane engine, i rubbished the idea, but has anyone heard or done it? does it actually work?
Old 6th January 2010, 20:34   #829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..suggested i get a cng kit fitted on my hurricane engine, i rubbished the idea, but has anyone heard or done it? does it actually work?
It will work, very practical fitment, do this only if you cannot afford to drive the Jeep with Petrol daily, else if this is only a secondary fun vehicle, leave it intact. Why spoil the looks with a TANK in the rear.

Sharat

Regd the painting updates... I went around a few places and got the following quotes. My CJ is rusty in a few places, the TUB is quite good but coated inside with some thar/putty material. The front 2 fenders are corroded badly and the Bonnet inside is also slightly rusty. The grill is holding good.
For the above condition, I was Quoted 10K for tinkering and 10K for painting. I decided to walk away.
PS - The quote was for EXTERIOR work only, meaning leave the TUB as it is, just remove the seats, tank, roll cage, electrical etc. Same with fenders and Bonnet. I found the quote for this kind of work on the higher side.

Me and Vinod - eagerly awaiting some reports on your CJ's painting plan and progress...

Last edited by svsantosh : 6th January 2010 at 20:36.
Old 6th January 2010, 23:50   #830
Team-BHP Support

My rebuild got slightly postponed since the garage had taken a new project in between. However, I met them yesterday and had them promise me Jan 25th as the day they will take my Jeep for rebuild.

I am planning to put back steel rims, steel leafs back on the Jeep for the rebuild. I even want to replace the Geolandar with some old worn out NDMS if possible. Can somebody tell where I can get worn out NDMS for the duration?

I am planning remove that checkered aluminium plates (and plug the holes), and remove the paint entirely. In many places the rusted part will be removed and new 16 guage steel sheet will be welded into those. The rear door will be completely new. So there is a big list of things.
Old 7th January 2010, 20:18   #831
BHPian

when my jeep was built i got a brand new tub from mayapuri, treated and painted with red oxied for approx 6k then a new hood for about 2k and fenders the old ones were retained, the metal and the job was good, not the one done at mayapuri but at a good plant. the guy it comes from somewhere in gujrat ..that is if u believe him.

got my jeep back....and boy its running like a dream , can hardly sense or hear it running.

got the engine oil , gear oil , diff oil changed , tuning , greasing , air cleaner cleaned , and the three spoke steering wheel put on which has better dynamics and is smaller so its easier to manouver.

planning a servicing of the self, change of diff ratios to 9 : 44.
Old 7th January 2010, 23:56   #832
Team-BHP Support

Samu anyway one can source the whole tub itself for the CJ?
Old 8th January 2010, 00:35   #833
Team-BHP Support

Nope, not available anymore. The dies for 340 have been discarded, no more tubs for CJ from Mahindra.
Old 8th January 2010, 10:34   #834
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Samu anyway one can source the whole tub itself for the CJ?
Yes you can. An imported complete body kit will cost you USD 4000 + frieght + import duties. Alternatively you can have an entire new body kit made locally for under 50k. If you use superior grade steels max within 75k

BTW the local workmanship is absolutely fabulous and unless you know how to look for the detail diffs most people cannot tell if its a new body

Last edited by DKG : 8th January 2010 at 10:36.
Old 8th January 2010, 21:31   #835
BHPian

there is a shop in mayapuri who has a few of cj tubs with him, the workmanship is good and very reasonable, he also has fenders and hoods.
got mine from him.
Old 10th January 2010, 20:26   #836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Can somebody tell where I can get worn out NDMS for the duration?..
Sharat, All you need any 15" tyres that can be shoehorned over those steel rims. All the Jeep needs is some rubber to be manually pushed around for a few weeks. Try local garages for some worn out Sumo/Matador/likewise tyres. Check with prabhuav, he got a few re-treaded NDMS from bangy gujuri for his 540 for 2.5~ each. At 10K~ + freight it may Not be worth it for your cause.

Quote:
there is a shop in mayapuri .... got mine from him.
How much did you pay for those?
Old 18th January 2010, 15:34   #837
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.B.Singh View Post
...... Just to tell you about the WWII jeeps' shackles, they were the best.
The threaded bush "C" shakles also flexed during stiff articulation. Sadly we don't get them any more. Local products are still made and sold, but they are nowhere as reliable as the 'Atlas' shackles. These had a combination of right and left thread, and had to be fitted accordingly as instructed, for closing and opening action. The rubber seal and tiny grease nipples made it suitable for under water operation as used in the M38s.
........ UBS
In the recent Kakabe off-roading there was a jeep with the "C" type shackle that UBS sir is mentioning above. IIRC, it was the original ATLAS shackle.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-pc213810.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ml#post1685225
Old 18th January 2010, 16:50   #838
Team-BHP Support

Interesting, I'll post a closeup of that shackle tonight.
Old 19th January 2010, 09:53   #839
Team-BHP Support

Ok, this Jeep had C type shackles in the front and grease type shackle in the rear.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-pc2138101.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-pc2137761.jpg

Two questions.
1) What is that cylinder with a read dot on the differential?
2) Why would somebody willingly move the petrol tank from under the passenger seat to behind the Jeep? As expected, this tank was punctured during the offroad event.
Old 19th January 2010, 10:44   #840
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
1) What is that cylinder with a read dot on the differential?
Its a blackout light Sharath. But if I remember correctly, about its intended use, it should have been installed reverse so the light mildly lights up the rear diff so in a convoy the rear vehicle can see the car ahead.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks