Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2010, 08:45   #946
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Samurai, your jeep looks great. I also like Vinay's jeep colour. Excellent read so far.
Thanks, even I was not sure how it would look until I visited this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnishanth View Post
I see in the pictures that there is no heat/sound proofing material (dont know the exact name of it) stuck on the firewall from both sides. (The engine bay and from inside the cabin) I dont know how important is this for open jeeps unlike MM540/550's, but this would be the best time to do this.
Well, it is very important. I think they do it after the electrical work is complete. BTW, this mechanic is very reluctant to add anything that can lead to rusting.
Old 1st July 2010, 08:59   #947
BHPian

Congrats
Awesome choice of colour and brilliant work.The paint quality looks too good. Great to see the kind of attention being paid to the minutest details.
I thought you would go for the hanging pedals (vacuum booster for brakes and probably the hydraulic clutch of Bolero).
Off topic: I heard from a jeeper friend of mine that they do some kind of modification on the normal clutch (finger type actuator) and make it work as smooth and effortless as comparable to the hydraulic ones. He had taken his jeep to Gudalur (a town in Nilgiris) to get it done.
Old 1st July 2010, 09:26   #948
Senior - BHPian

Good choice of colour and the jeep looks really great after the paintjob. So now, is there any other part left in your jeep which has not been refurbished to almost new standard? By the way the fuse box looks a bit different, was it there in your jeep earlier also or is it a newer type?
Old 1st July 2010, 09:49   #949
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Awesome choice of colour and brilliant work.The paint quality looks too good. Great to see the kind of attention being paid to the minutest details.
Thanks, picking the right garage was half the battle. He mostly implements my requests in a correct way. So the 250kms distance to the garage doesn't affect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
I thought you would go for the hanging pedals (vacuum booster for brakes and probably the hydraulic clutch of Bolero).
Off topic: I heard from a jeeper friend of mine that they do some kind of modification on the normal clutch (finger type actuator) and make it work as smooth and effortless as comparable to the hydraulic ones. He had taken his jeep to Gudalur (a town in Nilgiris) to get it done.
I have a hard clutch, but I like it that way. I don't have a vacuum pump, so if I am taking that step of hanging pedal, booster, etc., I might as well go for disc brakes. That will be a big ticket item. But, I am planning to keep it stock. If you think about it, this Jeep is pretty much stock except for the CFL, which only helps in ride comfort.

At Lonavala, Arka made this interesting observation. He has added so many offroad gizmos to his Jeep, he had started wondering whether he can still offroad in a stock Jeep. In fact, he drove a few stock Jeeps in EXAMM just to be sure he hasn't lost the touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Good choice of colour and the jeep looks really great after the paintjob. So now, is there any other part left in your jeep which has not been refurbished to almost new standard? By the way the fuse box looks a bit different, was it there in your jeep earlier also or is it a newer type?
Thanks, I had to think really hard about your question though. I think, the bottom part of the engine, chassis, some leafs in front, seats and the steering wheel are still the same since I bought it. Then there are some smaller parts which I can't keep track.

The fuse box was originally under the hood. This is totally new thing, the rewiring is completely fresh. Except for the headlights and auxiliary lights, everything is changed.
Old 1st July 2010, 10:53   #950
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Sharath your jeep is looking like a million bucks - great colour choice ! Cant imagine how it will look when finished !! Also, now that the wheels are back on, the chrome alloys don't look all that out of place. But I still think painting them black will give your jeep a really butch and purposeful look, like one of Allan's rides. Good luck and waiting to see the finished jeep
Old 9th July 2010, 00:48   #951
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Nidhi, now we are closing on the end game. BTW, yesterday the mechanic was surprised to hear that this was the 5th month of rebuild.

I was there again, visiting Coorg to check on the Jeep.

I shot this near Madikeri, looks like Zorro had visiting here recently, see the Z mark...

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p7074541.jpg

Ok, now about the Jeep. It is almost over. In my next visit, I can take delivery.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p7074545.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p7074546.jpg

Now the hood can be locked.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p7074547.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p7074572.jpg

Now the CJ340 has the steering lock from Mahindra Major.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p7074551.jpg

Toolbox lock (this was there before)

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p7074552.jpg

Gearbox lock (deployed in reverse gear)

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p7074563.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p7074567.jpg

Spare tyre lock (lock will be behind the tyre)

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p7074571.jpg

Black color alloy

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p7074548.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p7074550.jpg

Gearbox sealer

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p7074553.jpg

I know, the old hood looks dirty on a new looking Jeep. But it will be polished to look black again.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p7074554.jpg

Same old seat, no reason to change. The fast idle cable you see on the seat was donated by Viji in December after Kakkabe OTR.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p7074555.jpg

The dashboard is kept simple.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p7074556.jpg

This should give an idea where the fusebox is located.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p7074557.jpg

The side mirror is located on a extended angle.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p7074558.jpg

The emergency brake provided by USB is already installed.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p7074559.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p7074561.jpg

Extra hook under the dashboard for steering locking with a flexible cycle lock.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p7074569.jpg

The reverse light may get slightly blocked by the bumper. Might need relocation later.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p7074573.jpg

Hopefully delivery is next week.
Old 9th July 2010, 01:45   #952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

I shot this near Madikeri, looks like Zorro had visiting here recently, see the Z mark...
Hi Samurai,

No I did not get the chance to go there . But whenever I do aquire my suffix, this place will definitely be in my list of places to visit. By the way your ride has come up really well. Eagerly waiting to check out the finished product.

Regards,
Zorro4X4
Old 9th July 2010, 05:10   #953
BHPian

Nice,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Thanks Nidhi, now we are closing on the end game. BTW, yesterday the mechanic was surprised to hear that this was the 5th month of rebuild.
----------------------------
Hopefully delivery is next week.
Hi Samurai,
Nice looking Jeep. I like the color and your Jeep's tires.
Question - Have you considered have disc brakes in front?? Also have you ever thought about the petal assembly - the ones in the latest Major (hanging ones)??
These are my personal wishes,. but you having a CJ340 will know better.
Old 9th July 2010, 09:53   #954
Senior - BHPian

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L is the word.....the electrical works are too neat, small small modifications are truely purposeful, finishing is really good & the black paint on the rims will add to the appeal of the jeep. And with the makeover you do need those enhanced security mechanisms. The emergency brake is an awesome addition. Overall i think it is worth the wait.
Btw, how the major steering lock is attached?
Old 9th July 2010, 10:08   #955
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro4X4 View Post
By the way your ride has come up really well. Eagerly waiting to check out the finished product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBerry View Post
Hi Samurai,
Nice looking Jeep. I like the color and your Jeep's tires.
Quote:
B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L is the word.....the electrical works are too neat, small small modifications are truely purposeful, finishing is really good & the black paint on the rims will add to the appeal of the jeep. And with the makeover you do need those enhanced security mechanisms. The emergency brake is an awesome addition. Overall i think it is worth the wait.
Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBerry View Post
Question - Have you considered have disc brakes in front?? Also have you ever thought about the petal assembly - the ones in the latest Major (hanging ones)??
These are my personal wishes,. but you having a CJ340 will know better.
Actually that is a single wish, installing disc brakes would require hanging pedals. I considered it, but the mechanic had no prior experience with replacing drums with disc, so I didn't want to experiment. And it will cost 20K more.

Quote:
Btw, how the major steering lock is attached?
Hmm, I am not clear about this question. I thought it was a straight forward mod.
Old 9th July 2010, 10:43   #956
BANNED

Wow!!!

This is absolute beautiful transformation.

I guess the pics are with CF suspension in place, right?

I feel you may want to drive the vehicle for a few kms (approx 50, IMHO) in the vicinity of the workshop itself, and also take it through some mild off roading (the kind you did in your office) to see if any of the body mountings come loose.

Has the exhaust note changed? I have seen very silent jeeps - the kind of silence between an 2 stroke engine which makes a racket, Hero Honda CD 100 (quiter) and a Bajaj caliber (absolute music to ears). I have been wondering how they achieve this kind of silent exhaust note.
Old 9th July 2010, 10:45   #957
BHPian

Your jeep looks cool. I like the color. Neat work too.

Why so many locks?

Regards,
Krishna Thanthri
Old 9th July 2010, 12:09   #958
BHPian

Its a neat work indeed, in particular the job with electricals. Can you please share a little more details on the bonnet lock mechanism? I have a serious issue with that in my machine.
Old 9th July 2010, 12:21   #959
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I guess the pics are with CF suspension in place, right?
Yes, they are.

Quote:
I feel you may want to drive the vehicle for a few kms (approx 50, IMHO) in the vicinity of the workshop itself, and also take it through some mild off roading (the kind you did in your office) to see if any of the body mountings come loose.
Good idea, something to do when I go there next.

Quote:
Has the exhaust note changed? I have seen very silent jeeps - the kind of silence between an 2 stroke engine which makes a racket, Hero Honda CD 100 (quiter) and a Bajaj caliber (absolute music to ears). I have been wondering how they achieve this kind of silent exhaust note.
Don't know, the engine hasn't been started since March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnathanthri View Post
Why so many locks?
Just having multiple options. Not that I will use all at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail2abhi83 View Post
Its a neat work indeed, in particular the job with electricals. Can you please share a little more details on the bonnet lock mechanism? I have a serious issue with that in my machine.
The hood has a metal loop. When the key is turned, the hook connected to the key will turn and hook into the loop.
Old 9th July 2010, 13:15   #960
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How will the exhaust note change?

1. Change the cat-con
2. Change the exhaust manifold

I am not sure how else, apart from changing the engine to a hurricane.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks