Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:24   #991
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Sudarshan - you have summed up my life 200% correctly. I am going through everything that you have written above. When visitors come to my house, they see 4 Fiat tyres lying below the table on which the TV is kept. There was a gearbox lying in my hall, just recently I have shifted it to an inner room. Many people think that all the car parts lying in my house need to be donated to the friendly local scrap merchant. See my 4 fiats. All of them are fitted with "engineered solution" degassing tanks. Hell, even my 1987 Maruti 800 had a fiat S1 degassing tank in it. Every part, including hose clips is thought of, purchased and then the build takes place, so I finish such jobs within a working day and then they work for ever.

Let me share a hilarious episode with you. During the year 2000, I was doing the development of the M&M 3 wheeler which was called "Mahindra Champion". I was deputed to Zaheerabad which is between Sholapur and Hyderabad. I was working on the prototypes in the factory and staying in the guest house a stone's throw away (Zaheerabad is actually in the middle of nowhere). I completely spoilt 3 white work suits in 3 days. Even after washing, the stains would not come out, so I started washing and wearing them only to work instead of wasting them at the rate of 1 per day. One day, a vendor had come to meet me for some work on the prototype. I told the security to send him to the workshop. He saw me below the vehicle in the workshop and started speaking to me in Hindi. I replied in Hindi, told him to wait for 10 minutes, then came out and explained everything that was required to be corrected on the prototype. Then he said, still in Hindi, "OK, I have understood, but I want to meet the engineer concerned and also the project Dy.GM Mr.Behram Dhabhar. Can you tell me which office to go to"? When I introduced myself, he was like - . Well, the work got done very fast after that incident because he understood that besides being the project engineer, I was working category also.

Same was true when I started as a trainee in 1980 and same is true today also. You can call it core competence, unique ability, creativity, product clarity or anything, fact remains that I know that I can do things and I have no hesitany in saying so. Therefore, before the June end EXAMM / AKC, some things on the Thar we did ourselves. Only spike and I know what we did. We got the desired result which helped the project to progress. Period.

As far as Sharath's vehicle is concerned, I have guided him every step of the way, cylinder head, gearbox, spring shackles, now body, what not he has corrected. The very fact that he had to correct it means that it was incorrect in the first place. He started off with a lemon, now its a priceless piece of "engineered art". Previously he was disgusted, now he is delighted to drive it. I am happy that I am able to help him. I enjoy doing so. People wil listen if you explain properly but for doing that, your own fundas must be clear, isn't it? In my area (vehicle development), for your own fundas to be clear, it is necessary to work with vehicles. It is there in the words of the late Field Marshal Sam Maneckshaw - "Professional Knowledge and Professional Competence is a cine-que-non of leadership and it must be acquired the hard way". That's where the differentiation lies.

I had never planned to write all this, it just poured out. By writing this, I do not intend to undermine anybody else's capability. Thank you for reading.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:28   #992
BHPian

Samurai,
Was keeping fingers crossed to know how things unfolded.
Glad that it all ended up with the Solenoid switch and nothing that serious.
When you mentioned about the oil pressure light and no power from the engine..it was indeed scary.
Guess this Solenoid switch is indeed a vulnerable thing. A fellow Bolero club member, was stuck in the middle of nowhere when this thing started acting up.

Your jeep has turned out fab
You could have had the original mesh grill in its place...just my thoughts though.
And please get that silver hub cap in the rear painted black. It doesn't go well with the rest.

Last edited by jeeva : 22nd July 2010 at 11:37.
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:30   #993
Senior - BHPian

Full Circle

Hi Sharath,

You have completed one full-circle of JEEPing.

Congratulations and your JEEP looks fantastic.

Please add a Brush Guard.

Regards,

Arka
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:36   #994
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Mr. Behram,

Can you give more details regarding that exhaust pipe in the hose pipe? How does it help, etc?

Also, you promised to help fit the degassing tank in my Classic. I'll be there whenever you have time...

And yes, i can vouch for the tyres under the TV! Seen them myself
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:53   #995
Senior - BHPian

Sharath Your jeep looks awesome. The moment i saw it i called my brother and asked him to get the major RVM installed in both the international and also the 540.

I love the color which you have selected. Best one for some serious mud plunging.

@DB Sir: Your writeups are always an inspiration. Hopefully i get to meet you some day.
Old 22nd July 2010, 13:19   #996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Therefore, before the June end EXAMM / AKC, some things on the Thar we did ourselves. Only spike and I know what we did. We got the desired result which helped the project to progress. Period.
It would help us if you could share the experiment and results Sir. Infact, that's what a forum is and we look forward to your explanations.

Or do you want to start a separate thread for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
@DB Sir: Your writeups are always an inspiration. Hopefully i get to meet you some day.
+10
Old 22nd July 2010, 13:34   #997
BANNED

A real engineer

Dear Behramji Sir, You are a Real engineer, I am just crawling 40 years behind you . I have read what you have written & also what you have not .
Sir, I wish to see you . earliest.
Just dream to be Dhabhar Behram , one day.
Yours Sudarshan
Old 22nd July 2010, 15:28   #998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The mystery of ammeter is finally solved. It stays at 50AMPs acting as if it is charging the battery like there is no tomorrow. Couple of taps on the meter, it comes back to zero. It is the case of the stuck meter, it goes up, but doesn't come down unless it is slapped
Get a Voltmeter as opposed to the ammeter. You shall never be in doubt, there is so much needle movement between 12-14, that you can be assured of the alternator health. Also, the dip to ~11.5 while heating, one can be sure of the glow plugs working and battery discharging... Oh, and while running at 13.5~V in night, the dip because of your 4 headlights and 2 fog lamps will push the V to <12

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-1.jpg
Old 22nd July 2010, 15:57   #999
Team-BHP Support

I have merged my other thread "how to live with a CJ340" into this thread since both were discussing my Jeep. No point having two threads for one Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
You could have had the original mesh grill in its place...just my thoughts though.
And please get that silver hub cap in the rear painted black. It doesn't go well with the rest.
I never had the mesh grill, not having it helps people hang from it to provide extra traction sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
You have completed one full-circle of JEEPing.

Congratulations and your JEEP looks fantastic.

Please add a Brush Guard.
Thanks Arka. From my first Jeep drive that started at Patrick's garage in your Jeep, it has been a long series of unforgettable experience to last a lifetime.

What brush guard, something like this?

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-tj_wu_19431_59_front_bumper.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Can you give more details regarding that exhaust pipe in the hose pipe? How does it help, etc?
I discussed with my office electrician/plumber/handyman, he was wondering whether we can use those flexible metal pipes.

Name:  HMEJSH1b.jpg
Views: 2492
Size:  37.3 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
I love the color which you have selected. Best one for some serious mud plunging.
The color choice was made by my wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Get a Voltmeter as opposed to the ammeter. You shall never be in doubt, there is so much needle movement between 12-14, that you can be assured of the alternator health. Also, the dip to ~11.5 while heating, one can be sure of the glow plugs working and battery discharging... Oh, and while running at 13.5~V in night, the dip because of your 4 headlights and 2 fog lamps will push the V to <12
Interesting throught, will think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG
Everytime I see someone do up a car like this I feel it reflects their persona. The choice of colour, upholstery, the little things people do differently, it all reflects a person's outlook.
That is an interesting theory, and probably true. In the previous avatar, I couldn't explain why it has the aluminum plate or that color, it wasn't my idea. But this avatar is closest to my persona.

Last edited by Samurai : 22nd July 2010 at 15:58.
Old 22nd July 2010, 18:09   #1000
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Sudarshan - I humbly thank you for your comment. You have made my day. I am just a normal guy doing a normal job, the differentiation is that I love what I do and I also know exactly what I am doing. .

Dear Sharath - on the ammeter, your vehicle does not need an ammeter at all. The Lucas TVS SA15 alternator works best when there is no ammeter. Please get an electrician to remove it from the circuit. The best way to do this is to attach both it's wires to one of its terminals instead of cutting and coiling them together. Then put the ammeter back into the hole. It will stay there as a dummy. You do not even need a voltmeter. Please take a piece of "FINOLEX 84" size wire and shunt the output terminal of the alternator to the battery. Please route it properly so that it remains protected. You will need to solder an M6*1.0 / M8*1.25 suitable clips at either end and then use it. Obviously, do not remove the original wire which goes to the alternator. Connect this shunt as an addition. Then see the improvement in the performance of the electrical system. I do this in all my cars as I use 140 watt original GE make Hungarian bulbs in my headlights. As I drive extensively in the night, I need daylight in front of my cars. You can see all details of my instructions on page 60 of the headlights thread in the technical section.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 22nd July 2010 at 18:11. Reason: add info
Old 22nd July 2010, 18:18   #1001
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on posting the 1000th post in my Jeep thread Behram.

I think I'll start ignoring the ammeter from now on. I'll do the wiring mods eventually as suggested.
Old 22nd July 2010, 18:23   #1002
Distinguished - BHPian

Your Jeep looks hot, Samu. Wear it in good health !
Old 22nd July 2010, 18:52   #1003
BHPian

all hats off to the most humble man i have met

sir i do have high regards for you. please get the finance guys or whoever to price the Thar right.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd July 2010 at 01:05. Reason: Please read the note in your post carefully, thanks
Old 22nd July 2010, 19:13   #1004
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Samu, Jeep looks brand new like it rolled out of the factory. Hopefully this will keep you away from the mechanic for a while.

I remember my dad had an amby diesel in the 80s and it had a cable that you had to pull hard and hold for 5 seconds to shut off the engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
The water pump is a positive displacement unit and there has to be some mass flow otherwise it will not work. Therefore, there is a bypass provided between the suction and delivery sides of the water pump. In the XDP4.90 engine, this bypass passage is built into the aluminium die casting of the water pump itself. You cannot see it from outside.
Hi BD, Automotive water pumps are not usually positive displacement. They are almost always centrifugal pump with an impeller. Its the oil pump and P/S pump that are positive displacement because of the hi pressure requirement.
Old 22nd July 2010, 19:15   #1005
BHPian

Sharath, the jeep looks fantastic. Manipal used to be my old hunting ground. Have fun.

Behram, your knowledge is incredible and this forum is truly blessed to have your input.

Cheers.

Most Viewed