Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2010, 16:30   #1021
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Sharath, your jeep looks fabulous! The black rims really give it some character! You said the rattles have gone from the jeep, and now it even LOOKS tough as nails! Looks very well put-together. Congrats and wish you many happy offroad miles!

Your breakdown story in the rains after delivery were inspiring, to say the least - appreciate the passion you have for the jeep!

Eagerly awaiting the OTR report..
Old 27th July 2010, 09:12   #1022

@Anyone.... Is CJ3B and CJ340 one and the same on the rear leaf springs hinges....Do they have any difference on the length between the two hinges which hold one end of the leaf spring eye and one end of the shakel on the rear.??? Pls. clarify.

When I was discussing about CFL with Mr. Sharat, we ended up with this question unanswered..

Thanks,
Venson.
Old 29th July 2010, 15:47   #1023
BHPian

Samurai,

The pics do not do justice to your Jeep post the build.
Please do post more in detail if possible.
Your Jeep Looks WOW & shows your hard work & dedication.
Your thread is a reference book for me so please keep it going on - always.

Regards,
Kumar
Old 13th August 2010, 15:56   #1024
BHPian

Just read this thread cover to cover (in book's parlance) at a stretch. This thread is an encyclopedia as far as Diesel Jeeps are concerned.

Thanks for initiating this Samurai, your JEEP has been an institute of learning for all of us here.

It looks fantastic post rebuild.
Old 17th August 2010, 11:41   #1025
Senior - BHPian

Sharat,

I am sure that this info is somewhere in this thread but obviously I can not do the search and get it. So I have to trouble you

Who is your mechanic in Medikiri/Mercara?

My friend has few issues with hi family's Jeep (he is in a place called Murnad in between Mercara and Virajpet) and need some help

Would be obliged for the info.

BTW you Jeep looks great specially after the rebuild. The wayside experience in the "dark" made great reading as well.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride safe

Ram
Old 17th August 2010, 12:17   #1026
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchkumar View Post
The pics do not do justice to your Jeep post the build.
Please do post more in detail if possible.
All in good time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post
Just read this thread cover to cover (in book's parlance) at a stretch. This thread is an encyclopedia as far as Diesel Jeeps are concerned.

Thanks for initiating this Samurai, your JEEP has been an institute of learning for all of us here.
Thanks, the credit should go to all the Jeepers who selflessly helped me and contributed to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Who is your mechanic in Medikiri/Mercara?

My friend has few issues with hi family's Jeep (he is in a place called Murnad in between Mercara and Virajpet) and need some help
Well, the garage is barely 10kms from Murnad. It is in Vontiangady, which is on the way from Murnad to Ammatti. At the Vijaya Bank building, turn right and you will find the garage within 50 meters on the left. It is owned by a person named Sebastian and run by a mechanic called Xavier.
Old 17th August 2010, 22:53   #1027
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
All in good time.

Thanks, the credit should go to all the Jeepers who selflessly helped me and contributed to this thread.

Well, the garage is barely 10kms from Murnad. It is in Vontiangady, which is on the way from Murnad to Ammatti. At the Vijaya Bank building, turn right and you will find the garage within 50 meters on the left. It is owned by a person named Sebastian and run by a mechanic called Xavier.
Hi Samurai

Your jeep look OE /stock !

SO when did you change the colour of it
Old 18th August 2010, 17:30   #1028
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Your jeep look OE /stock !

SO when did you change the colour of it
Yeah, it is as stock as white Ranjikant (think Shivaji movie). The color change happened couple months back.

Ok, I had posted the following in the offroading lights thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
After the horrendous experience of fog+rain driving after the Sharavathy OTR, I wanted to upgrade my auxiliary lights.

Most fog lights we see or have are actually yellow spot lights. What you really need in fog driving is a wide beam of light illuminating the road just ahead. The long range spot lights just create a diffused light wall in front of you.

After some brainstorming, the following came highly recommended. A work light used in JCBs. They are very short range, and have a very wide beam. The model name is Neolite 714.

I picked up 6 numbers of it at Jann's marketing services JC road) at 390 per item. We needed more, but they ran out of stock. More expected next week. On the way back we found another similar model from Hilux for just 140 bucks. The datasheet given here: HL- 563 WORK LAMP ASSLY JCB,ECEL,L&T,TEREX
Yesterday I replaced the two white lights (which were pathetic), and it looked good. I had thought the square would look odd, but it looks perfect considering the Jeep itself is squarish. Now the round yellow fogs look odd.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p8184753.jpg

Later at night, I had to go out for dinner and I was stunned when I turned on the new JCB work lamps. It practically lit everything in front of the Jeep, and lit up the trees on each side of the road in front. The beam was really wide. Why does one need headlights or primary driving lights with these? Anyway, I turned on the headlights, and merely added extra brightness and depth. In other words, I could comfortably drive with just a pair of these wide angle work lamps. So I did, I drove in dark streets just using these. I was actually laughing out loud as I drove at the irony of the whole thing. I don't know what the super expensive warn lights can do over this. These were just 390 bucks each.

After coming back to office, I drove into the backyard that was totally dark. I compared the yellow lights with the white lights. It was night and day. The yellow fog spot lights were simply pathetic. Both are 55W lights.

So I decided to replace the yellow spot lights with another pair of white JCB work lamps.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p8184755.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p8184758.jpg

They look nice, tonight I'll check out the effect of 4 work lamps.

PS: The brightness of the lights affected the camera metering and the last image became underexposed.

Last edited by Samurai : 18th August 2010 at 17:37.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2010, 18:26   #1029
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sharath,
Your Jeep looks real nice with these new square JCB lamps.
I hadn't noticed any mahindra stickers on the new tub. Are they new as well?
Coming to the lamps, from your report, i understand that they have a wide beam. From my experience, these are very good at low speeds & at OTRs.
But, when you are driving at speeds > 60 kmph, the range of the beam also helps. How would you rate the range of these new lamps Sharath?
Thanks for this information.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 18th August 2010, 18:35   #1030
Team-BHP Support

Shoot from inside the jeep and post the picture, first with 2 spottie's and then with 4 ON. Please.
Old 18th August 2010, 18:36   #1031
Team-BHP Support

Yes, I bought the Mahindra logo in the local automobile shop.

I never had trouble with long range lights since my 100/90W headlights are doing a good job at it. But I always longed for a wide beam, now I got them. These can throw light up to 50m adequately, but it is the first 20m that is really good.
Old 18th August 2010, 19:43   #1032
Senior - BHPian

Samurai, how have you mounted those lights? Can we have a few closer pics? I hope the lamps are well clear from the fairleads.

Spike
Old 18th August 2010, 19:48   #1033
BHPian

now this is really a cool find. Just wait, and I will replace my pathetic lumax with these ones.
Old 18th August 2010, 19:53   #1034
Senior - BHPian

Sharath,
The JCB lights look good and rugged and for the purpose of short/wide reach and the price they are extremely good. Since you had picked up 3 pairs (should someone need), do you have 1 pair to spare for me?

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 18th August 2010 at 19:57.
Old 18th August 2010, 19:56   #1035
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Samurai, how have you mounted those lights? Can we have a few closer pics? I hope the lamps are well clear from the fairleads.
It is mounted on the winch plate.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p81847551.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks