Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2010, 10:05   #1111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Today night, I was forced to take the Jeep to go home. Some nut had blocked the road to my house by parking in the middle of the road, GV couldn't squeeze through. Had to come back to office for the Jeep.

Anyway, it has been 20 days since the last time I touched it. Wasn't very sure it will start easily. There was chill in the night air too. I climbed in, turned on the power, waited for the heater timer to switch off and cranked. It started!!!

Imagine, a Jeep starting at first crank after 20 days of inactivity. I am impressed.
Dear Sharath- What a transition, from a GV to a CJ-340. Im sure the CJ would make the drive more involving. Does your heater have a coil in the cabin ?
My trips to south has seen the multiple use of these coil in a diesel ambassador, the grille is used as a agarbatti stand and an emergency cigarette lighter.
Old 11th November 2010, 10:34   #1112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
the grille is used as a an emergency cigarette lighter.
Couldn't agree with you more. Normally the matches get wet in the rain and this was something I used to do before my engine rebuild.
Old 11th November 2010, 11:50   #1113
Team-BHP Support

I have no coil in the cabin. During the rebuild, I had asked the electrician to spare me the pain of holding the key in half-crank to heat the glow plugs. Now this Jeep has lot of Major/FC parts in the electrical system.
Old 11th November 2010, 13:06   #1114
Senior - BHPian

Over the ownership period, did you get a chance to open up the prop shafts and check the pinion-yoke? Thought of asking since mine is nearly bust and needs attention.
Old 12th November 2010, 12:33   #1115
BHPian

Quote:
I have no coil in the cabin. During the rebuild, I had asked the electrician to spare me the pain of holding the key in half-crank to heat the glow plugs. Now this Jeep has lot of Major/FC parts in the electrical system.
Why hold the key. You could have a heater button. Press till it glows.
Old 17th November 2010, 16:41   #1116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Why hold the key. You could have a heater button. Press till it glows.
I never had the button, so I had to hold the key in half crank. Now I don't need the button.

Anyway, Jeep is back to the garage for a precautionary service before the long trip. Yup, the Jeep will be coming to Bangalore this week.

I have only done 200kms so far. So I had to miss the recent OTR near Balehonnur since the running-in was not complete. If I don't do some long distance driving, it will take a looooong time. Therefore, I have decided to drive the Jeep to Bangalore and back in order to complete the remaining 800kms.

The mechanic has decided to re-torque the head bolts anyway before the trip. After completing the 800kms, he will adjust the valve clearance.
Old 17th November 2010, 19:19   #1117
BANNED

Quote:
I never had the button, so I had to hold the key in half crank. Now I don't need the button.

Anyway, Jeep is back to the garage for a precautionary service before the long trip. Yup, the Jeep will be coming to Bangalore this week.

I have only done 200kms so far. So I had to miss the recent OTR near Balehonnur since the running-in was not complete. If I don't do some long distance driving, it will take a looooong time. Therefore, I have decided to drive the Jeep to Bangalore and back in order to complete the remaining 800kms.

The mechanic has decided to re-torque the head bolts anyway before the trip. After completing the 800kms, he will adjust the valve clearance.
Unwanted advice ,please excuse

during running-in have close watch on
1) oil level ,at every 100 km
2) oil pressure , all the time
3) water/coolant level
4) temprature all the time

IMO peugot 2.1 needs to looked after thease things carefully ( 21 years & 2 engine rebuilds of my 540 )

Also avoid over revving do not exceed 65 kmph in top gear during running ins

I know you must be knowing all thease things but cannot avoid this as I saw how much you are involved in all this

best of Jeeping

Sudarshan
Old 17th November 2010, 20:27   #1118
Team-BHP Support

Check oil level at every 100kms? Ok, that's a new one for me. Will do.

The oil pressure, coolant, temp and all I am always watching, for I have had break downs related to them.

Oil pressure: Lost all oil at 1AM in the middle of a ghat section once.
Coolant/temp: Too many stories. I have 3 separate threads to address only heating issues.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...blem-jeep.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...mbe-ghats.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...s-part-ii.html
Old 17th November 2010, 20:39   #1119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How? Details please.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 17th November 2010, 20:44   #1120
Team-BHP Support

Here you go, this was in Munnar.

Quote:
Suddenly I notice a loss in engine power, my eyes quickly scan the gauges and my heart sank at the sight of zero oil pressure. Without a second thought I pulled over to the side. Shakir was way ahead of me and didn’t realise I had stopped. The Jeep and the Gypsy behind me stopped and came around to check out. We were in the middle of a forest in the ghat section, and the time was around 1AM. After opening the hood, other Jeepers are able to determine that the oil pipe connecting the oil filter to the oil pressure gauge is cut. Emanuel’s dad who turned out to be very handy with the mechanicals, quickly tightened the oil pipe and connected it back as a quick fix. But I had lost all the oil in the engine, although I had stopped very quickly after seeing the problem. I had no spare engine oil, although I had diff oil, brake fluid and coolant. Then Emanuel produces 1.5 liters of Gyspy engine oil. At this point I am ready to accept coconut oil if it works. Sandeep bhat meanwhile is proposing to tow my Jeep. But everybody wants to try the gypsy oil first. We pour the oil and start the engine, the oil pressure is back at 2, I give some pedal and it rises to 4. Houston, we have a live one here. We are good to go, if we drive slowly back the resort.

Right here, this shows the importance of riding in a convoy. I was not technical enough to understand this problem, let alone quick fix it, if I was alone. I had the torch and tool box, Emanuel had the engine oil, his dad and others had the expertise to utilize all those to do the quick fix. An extremely serious problem that could have stranded me in the middle of the night was resolved in a jiffy due to team work. Slowly we started off and couple of KMs later we find Shakir’s Gypsy stranded on the road side. His electrical cable had a burn out and headlights wouldn’t work, they were in darkness except for the powerful floodlights. They had almost repaired the problem by the time we got there. Once his lights start working, we start off again and finally reach Ayur County at 1:20AM and say our good bye to Rajiv, Emanuel and his dad who stay in another resort.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...ml#post1153677 (Offroading in God’s Own Country: The Munnar MGE & JT Event)
Old 17th November 2010, 21:56   #1121
Senior - BHPian

^^^^
Ok. Understood.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 18th November 2010, 07:50   #1122
BANNED

Quote:
Check oil level at every 100kms? Ok, that's a new one for me. Will do.

The oil pressure, coolant, temp and all I am always watching, for I have had break downs related to them.

Coolant/temp: Too many stories. I have 3 separate threads to address only heating issues.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...blem-jeep.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...mbe-ghats.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...s-part-ii.html
Ok, about checking oil every 100 kms, I know this sounds strange but ,it is essential in early stages of running ins up to first 500 km atleast . Specially when engine is built locally where tightening of covers is left to the boys of the shop by the head mech ( Its not that I dont trust your mech ) but funny things do happen ,like loose covers letting oil go in a otherwise perfect Job

Sudarshan
Old 18th November 2010, 08:49   #1123
Team-BHP Support

This mechanic is considered a master mechanic and is quite revered in the entire district by his peers. He takes pride in his engine re-builds. Yesterday he re-torqued the head bolts and some more things I quite couldn't catch.

Now he says I don't have to touch the engine for next 4000kms. He asked me to run-in for next 800kms and then go ahead doing offroading. No need to bring back after run-in.

I wondered whether he shouldn't change oil as suggested by Behram. He said he thoroughly cleans the engine after the lathe work to the extent that no metal filings or dirt is left back. They do that to avoid wasting 5 liters of engine oil. So, no oil change either. I can't exactly argue with a guy who rebuilds 2 engine a month.

BTW, he gave me a test drive in a MM550 whose heart he just changed. Yup, a Qualis engine mated to a BA10 gear box, while retaining 4WD ability. The engine is sooooo smooth and the Jeep pulled away like no Jeep I have ever seen with the exception of Thar. I'll give details in the other thread.
Old 18th November 2010, 10:35   #1124
Team-BHP Support

You can always goto your usual mechanic and get an oil change done
Old 18th November 2010, 10:55   #1125
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Qualis engine mated to a BA10 gear box, while retaining 4WD ability. The engine is sooooo smooth and the Jeep pulled away like no Jeep I have ever seen with the exception of Thar. I'll give details in the other thread.
Interesting combination. Details in which thread?

Most Viewed