Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2011, 16:18   #1216
BANNED

Re: Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family

I don't remember there is any thing to weld (wrt, bellcrank repair/replace) , what is that welding for & where ?

Sudarshan
Old 4th March 2011, 17:08   #1217
BHPian

@ Samurai, sorry to say this but haven't you spent a lot of money on this jeep, wouldn't it have been better to buy a new one. Just a top level initial thought after following your thread from a long time.

PS: Had followed your baleno and vitara threads/posts.
Old 4th March 2011, 17:24   #1218
Senior - BHPian

Bell-Crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
I don't remember there is any thing to weld (wrt, bellcrank repair/replace) , what is that welding for & where ?

Sudarshan
Hi Sudarshan JEE,

The Pitman Arms on the Bell-Crank are held in alignment by a woodruff key, inside the Bell-Crank, usually the key breaks under stress(wider tyres/off-road/Negative Off-Set Wheels).

The local solution is to align the pitman arms with the woddruff key and then spot weld the Pitman arms to the sector shaft.

This is a temporary fix and not advisable.

Regards,

Arka
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-sbc01.jpg  

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-sbc02.jpg  

Last edited by ex670c : 4th March 2011 at 17:36.
Old 4th March 2011, 17:36   #1219
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash View Post
@ Samurai, sorry to say this but haven't you spent a lot of money on this jeep, wouldn't it have been better to buy a new one. Just a top level initial thought after following your thread from a long time.
Well, they have not made SWB since 2000, so buying new was not an option. Spending 5+ lakhs on a Major (CL500) didn't make sense because I had to still spend to make it offroad worthy. That means tyre upgrade, axle ratio upgrade, and I still won't get doors. Thar option opened up only this year.

Quote:
Sudarshan
I am not entirely sure since I didn't see it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
The Pitman Arms on the Bell-Crank are held in alignment by a woodruff key, inside the Bell-Crank, usually the key breaks under stress(wider tyres/off-road/Negative Off-Set Wheels).

The local solution is to align the pitman arms with the woddruff key and then spot weld the Pitman arms to the sector shaft.

Thanks for the explanation Arka. The mechanic did say he had half a mind to put a new bell crank kit, but he didn't saying this would be cheaper. If you think this is not advisable, I can ask him to put a new bell crank kit.
Old 4th March 2011, 17:43   #1220
BANNED

Quote:
I know , was expecting a pic . I remember there is a big bolt on the arm to tighten the arm ' around ' the shaft + another one on top of the shaft with a big flat washer ( to keep the arm in place & prevent it coming 'off' in case the 1st one gets loose ) ahh edit : part no. 23 & 27 according to catalogue I missed it initially

Quote:

true , very dangerous . IMHO the arm & shaft materials are different to hold to any kind of welding , it breaks/cracks or comes off

@ abhilash -- its not about money , its money spent for Learning & who says new ones don't fail ? ask me .

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 4th March 2011 at 17:47.
Old 4th March 2011, 18:13   #1221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well, they have not made SWB since 2000, so buying new was not an option. Spending 5+ lakhs on a Major (CL500) didn't make sense because I had to still spend to make it offroad worthy. That means tyre upgrade, axle ratio upgrade, and I still won't get doors. Thar option opened up only this year.

I am not entirely sure since I didn't see it done.

Thanks for the explanation Arka. The mechanic did say he had half a mind to put a new bell crank kit, but he didn't saying this would be cheaper. If you think this is not advisable, I can ask him to put a new bell crank kit.
Hi Sharath,

Why don't you upgrade your steering box to the Universal Joint Type from the Armada/Commander (23:1)

Please get a new/serviced Bell-Crank and keep this one as off-road spare.

Regards,

Arka
Old 4th March 2011, 19:41   #1222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why don't you upgrade your steering box to the Universal Joint Type from the Armada/Commander (23:1)
Sharath, The whole expense for the new box, new bell crank, new pipe would come to around 10K, I will post the exact details in a day or 2, but TOTALLY worth it, can you believe a 540 steers like a car!!

Welding is, mmm, dont know what to say, may be bad - but my jeep is running a weld on the bell crank for last 1.5 years and seen few konda's and few minor otr's, has held up till now, but no guarantee it will hold up for long!!
Old 4th March 2011, 21:05   #1223
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post

Welding is, mmm, dont know what to say, may be bad - but my jeep is running a weld on the bell crank for last 1.5 years and seen few konda's and few minor otr's, has held up till now, but no guarantee it will hold up for long!!
GET RID OF IT , you are being lucky . It may take some more abuse but again NO GURANTEE. Small Cracks in welding aren't seen by eyes ,the part gets weaker & weaker & suddenly

BTW , yesterday saw a Tata Sumo steering GB fitted to Jeep .( It looks like a combine of steering relay/bell crank & steering GB ).

Anyways that's not suitable for Sharathji but a worth try for Arkaji

Sudarshan
Old 5th March 2011, 11:20   #1224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW , yesterday saw a Tata Sumo steering GB fitted to Jeep .( It looks like a combine of steering relay/bell crank & steering GB ).

Anyways that's not suitable for Sharathji but a worth try for Arkaji
Sudarshan JEE,

Since your MM540 still has the Bell-Crank Setup, the above mod will be "purrfect" for you.

I have "moved on" to MRCBT

Regards,

Arka
Old 5th March 2011, 11:56   #1225
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Interesting, I need to first understand this setup well. Any links?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Sharath, The whole expense for the new box, new bell crank, new pipe would come to around 10K, I will post the exact details in a day or 2, but TOTALLY worth it, can you believe a 540 steers like a car!!
Please do give the cost break-up.
Old 30th April 2011, 23:35   #1226
Team-BHP Support

Between March 5th to April 15th, I was travelling at lot, so I didn't get to drive the Jeep. It was just lying in the usual parking spot, untouched for 40 days.

You know what they say about diesel vehicles, you have to regularly start them even if it is not under use.

When I remembered I haven't touched it in 40 days, I felt guilty and decided give some attention. I got in, and gave it a crank. It started at half a crank, a very healthy start, I reversed, switched to 1st gear and took off. The 40 days never happened. Since then I am taking it out regularly, every time it starts at first crank. Current reliability of the Jeep really puts a smile into my face, every time I drive it.
Old 1st May 2011, 00:00   #1227
Team-BHP Support

Yeah I know the feeling but contrary to the perception a well tuned and well kept diesel motor will wake up with less fuss compared to a petrol carbed engine. Do remember to heat before crank and idle a bit before you rush off, that's all. Just for the oil to circulate.
Old 1st May 2011, 06:50   #1228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yeah I know the feeling but contrary to the perception a well tuned and well kept diesel motor will wake up with less fuss compared to a petrol carbed engine. Do remember to heat before crank and idle a bit before you rush off, that's all. Just for the oil to circulate.
Not really - Infact Not at all. Petrol motors are simpler especially the carb ones by any which way one looks at it.
Old 1st May 2011, 08:24   #1229
BHPian

Hi Sharath,
I changed the steering assembly for my MM 540 recently. It was done in Hosur with help from SV Santosh.
The parts used are:
Steering box assembly (CV joint type): Rs 5462/-
Steering worm shaft: Rs 1100/-
Steering column bracket: Rs 110/-
Bell Crank assembly: Rs 1687/-
Tie rod end: Rs 290/-
Tie rod pipe: Rs 115/-
Total Cost: Rs 8764/-
The Tie rod pipe had to be cut and weld to account for the length available. Also the bell crank assembly had trouble fitting onto the existing holes on the chassis/ cross member.
The steering has no play now and drives around like a car.
madhkris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2011, 23:23   #1230
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Not really - Infact Not at all. Petrol motors are simpler especially the carb ones by any which way one looks at it.
How long have you parked a petrol carbed engine? Once petrol in the carb dries up and forms some sediments it's a pain, till you strip the carb and overhaul it. Engine will never be the same, its not about just starting up. On the other hand once you prime the fuel pump, give it a crank or two with proper heating a diesel engine will turn as if it was never parked. That is the difference.

I have experienced both.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks