Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2008, 12:49   #76
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
@Sam are you planning on a gear lock? Also do get a stepney lock if it is not ther at the moment. Its just to be on the safer side
It already has a gear-lock, it is called Mahindra gearbox.

Anyway, it is usually parked at office, which is guarded by two security guards 24x7. Besides, CJ340 is not something a thief would steal around here.
Old 29th May 2008, 13:41   #77
BHPian

Beautiful Jeep, Samurai. Congratulations. Your family seems to be enjoying the Jeep very much too. Please do have more off-roading trips and post pictures.
Let my dreams live through you, for now
Old 29th May 2008, 13:50   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
...Besides, CJ340 is not something a thief would steal around here...
But what if the thief had off-roading as a hobby

I still think you should safe-guard it like any other car.
Old 29th May 2008, 14:22   #79
Senior - BHPian

For security,having a secret/hidden MAINS switch is good enough.
Old 29th May 2008, 14:39   #80
Senior - BHPian

Samurai, the simplest way to lock even though are you not looking for options here is a steering lock on such open tops.

Your idea for a hard box tied to chassis by a chain lock is unique and different
Old 29th May 2008, 16:09   #81
BHPian

Hi Samu!
Congrat on your new ride!
I'm one of those that is "pro disc", go and get it done. Installing power brakes
it will be cheap and is a totally different world as you know well with GV.
Get rims replaced asap, as soon as you reduce the tire pressure for some serious offroad, that narrow rim will put the tire out at the first bump.
Simply ignore the alluminium sheet around, invest some money, if you can, in power brakes, power steering and full float axle, engine vitamines, differential lock, suspension, body lift and bigger tires, winch, well, the list is endless!!!
Good muck around!

Ciao

Ignazio
Old 29th May 2008, 18:22   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
But what if the thief had off-roading as a hobby
I guess that would be a new thread - "Unexpected Offroading by Unknown Person(s)".
Old 1st June 2008, 20:59   #83
Team-BHP Support

Today I finally got some time to put the 4WD through it's paces. It was a very busy week work wise. The test track was my office grounds.

First I turned the switch on the free wheeling hub to lock mode on both wheels. It was very easy, just a flick using two fingers. Hope it will be as easy in the field where I really need it.

Then I tried to engage the front axle by pulling the lever, it didn't budge. Then I drove forward a little and then tried it again. It worked, so I was in 4WD. Can I engage 4WD while moving forward? I can do that in GV, wasn't sure in a CJ340.

Next thing to try was 4WD Low. Again I stopped and pushed the smaller lever forward, that engaged easily. Then I released the clutch and it started chugging along slowly in idle. BTW, this Jeep can take off in idle, so it wasn't a surprise when it chugged along in idle in 4L.

Then I couldn't resist, I told my wife who was in passenger seat, "Look, no hands." She knew what was coming, and asked me to sit tight. But I couldn't, so I jumped off the Jeep. My son on the rear seat was quite excited to see the Jeep moving along without the driver, just like Aravind's Jeep in Chikmagalur. Check this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...reen-dale.html

Then we did some moderate climbs, which would not be possible in GV without scraping the body. It was so easy, I could almost hear the Jeep yawning. My wife actually commented that may be I didn't have to step on the A-pedal at all. Then I disengaged the L gear, front axle and then the locking hubs. Everything worked perfectly.

Anyway, I couldn't take any photos today even though I took the camera along. Wife wanted to go to the river for a boat ride, so we took the CJ340 leaving the GV and the camera at work. I was fun driving the CJ340 through the town, many curious eyes were on us thanks to the noisy engine and even louder horn.

At the river bank, we have to get down about 30ft to reach the river. As we got into the boat, there was another family who wanted the share the ride. As we were waiting, the boatman told me they went back to lock the car. I first wondered about my ride, then said in jest "Oh, I can't even lock my ride, I came in an open Jeep." Then the boatman said "Yeah, I saw that Jeep, that was yours is it?" That was interesting because he was mid-river when I parked the Jeep, and he can't see the parking lot once he gets closer to the bank because of the height difference. Yet he had noticed it among all the other vehicles.

When I had set about buying a old Jeep, I never thought it would end up attracting more attention than the GV. But that is exactly what has happened. This small soft top Jeep brings on more smiles and attention from casual on-lookers.

Last edited by Samurai : 1st June 2008 at 21:09.
Old 1st June 2008, 21:56   #84
Senior - BHPian

No Samurai,
these models did not have the shifting on the move or "on the fly" as it is otherwise called, you have to stop the vehicle.
Old 2nd June 2008, 00:23   #85
Senior - BHPian

^^This is has been highly debated here.
But, I have personally shifted at <5kph.
Old 2nd June 2008, 00:31   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Then we did some moderate climbs, which would not be possible in GV without scraping the body. It was so easy, I could almost hear the Jeep yawning. My wife actually commented that may be I didn't have to step on the A-pedal at all. Then I disengaged the L gear, front axle and then the locking hubs. Everything worked perfectly.
Could hear the jeep yawn eh? nice way to put it

Sadly no pics, but you described it very well. Thanks for sharing.

Also for 4x4 dummies, could you explain how this - translates to the (dirt)road. "Then I disengaged the L gear, front axle and then the locking hubs. Everything worked perfectly."
Old 2nd June 2008, 01:58   #87
BHPian

We can engage and disengage the 4wd high at normal speeds.If you are using the jeep for offroading i think there is no need for a disc brake.You can actually start the jeep in 4wd low without applying the clutch.
Old 2nd June 2008, 07:23   #88
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
^^This is has been highly debated here.
But, I have personally shifted at <5kph.
but, didnt you hear a krrrrr noise, and feel the gear lever kicking back at your hand slightly when you did it on the move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
No Samurai,
these models did not have the shifting on the move or "on the fly" as it is otherwise called, you have to stop the vehicle.
thats what I thought. best not to strain/wear out the cogs. coming to a complete stop and engaging 4WD is the best IMO

Old 2nd June 2008, 09:13   #89
BHPian

Im not much of a jeep fan but dude!!
Tell me whats your stats of mind while driving a power stearingless car lol

lol i used to drive those years back and you should see me now..
My arm muscles are ripped and a wonderful dealt all thanks to power stearingLESS cars..
:-)
Old 2nd June 2008, 10:49   #90
BHPian

But changing to 4wd high at speeds of about 50kmph is pretty okay.I have been doing this regularly on my MM540 .This is very much useful when you enter suddenly in to slippery mud road from tarmac.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
but, didnt you hear a krrrrr noise, and feel the gear lever kicking back at your hand slightly when you did it on the move?

thats what I thought. best not to strain/wear out the cogs. coming to a complete stop and engaging 4WD is the best IMO

Most Viewed