Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2008, 14:21   #91
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But changing to 4wd high at speeds of about 50kmph is pretty okay.I have been doing this regularly on my MM540 .This is very much useful when you enter suddenly in to slippery mud road from tarmac.
Are you serious? I haven't tried this, but don't see how it should be possible. Unless of course, you want to end up with the transfer box in your hand.

@ Samurai : Just noticed that you don't have the plastic doors. You might want to order them too.
Old 2nd June 2008, 14:23   #92
Team-BHP Support

Arent most 4WD High are shift on the fly. In the gypsy also you could shift to 4WD even at 60 kmph.
Old 2nd June 2008, 14:29   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack33 View Post
But changing to 4wd high at speeds of about 50kmph is pretty okay.I have been doing this regularly on my MM540 .This is very much useful when you enter suddenly in to slippery mud road from tarmac.
I don't particularly find that useful considering I have to get out to lock the free wheeling hubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
@ Samurai : Just noticed that you don't have the plastic doors. You might want to order them too.
Plastics doors, hmm. I need to see one of them in real before ordering.
Old 2nd June 2008, 14:34   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but, didnt you hear a krrrrr noise, and feel the gear lever kicking back at your hand slightly when you did it on the move?
Not a bit!
From 4H->2H->4H, worked perfectly.
Old 2nd June 2008, 14:39   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Also for 4x4 dummies, could you explain how this - translates to the (dirt)road. "Then I disengaged the L gear, front axle and then the locking hubs. Everything worked perfectly."
1) locking hubs, also known as free wheeling hubs engage/disengage the front wheels from drive shaft. See this: Locking hubs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2) Engaging front axle, means shifting from 2WD to 4WD.
3) Low gear, is nothing but an extra gear addition to the selcted gear. It usually multiplies the selected gear by 2.5 times. Very useful in off-roading situations.
Old 2nd June 2008, 15:37   #96
Senior - BHPian

I dont know if you remember, I was brainwashed to get a GV when you started posting beautiful pictures in the GV thread ! Just because I am in the bumper to bumper 'namma bengaluru' city and finding tough times even parking a wagonR, keeping the SUV plans postponed many times. But now what you have got is my dream machine right from childhood. Hearty Congratulations on the buy !!

Sometime back our dear Yeti was searching for a similar machine but not yet heard anything that he got one. I have searched a lot on google and other local web ads to find a clean machine but have not succeeded yet ! The search still continues !! Someone told me to check with military cantts. Have you got any idea where to source for a good one ? I might use only the engine and part of the body. Dream plan is to convert one to something like this picture, with few extra chromium here and there !
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-jeeps.jpg  

Old 2nd June 2008, 16:42   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Sometime back our dear Yeti was searching for a similar machine but not yet heard anything that he got one. I have searched a lot on google and other local web ads to find a clean machine but have not succeeded yet ! The search still continues !!
Well, I spent about 1 week searching on the web, landed in Bangalore at 12PM, saw a Jeep at 1:30PM, closed the deal at around 5:30PM. I may have overpaid, but I don't have the luxury to keep visiting Bangalore, I had to act fast, couldn't keep waiting for a better deal.
Old 2nd June 2008, 17:15   #98
Senior - BHPian

SOTF Dana/Spicer 18 T-Case

The M&M JEEP Dana/Spicer 18 T-Cases are SOTF (Shift ON The Fly) and if well lubricated you can shift from 2WD to 4WD at 40-50Kmph.

The Low Ratio has to be engaged when the vehicle is 0-5Kmph, STANDSTILL for ALL non-JEEPers.

Once you get the trick there will be no gears crashing, even at low ratio.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2008, 17:17   #99
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
The M&M JEEP Dana/Spicer 18 T-Cases are SOTF (Shift ON The Fly) and if well lubricated you can shift from 2WD to 4WD at 40-50Kmph.

The Low Ratio has to be engaged when the vehicle is 0-5Kmph, STANDSTILL for ALL non-JEEPers.

Regards,

Arka
that definitely clears things up. unfortunately- it also means I'm a non jeeper. did try to engage 4WD low while inching forward and failed. this was almost 12 years ago in an MM540

Old 3rd June 2008, 09:21   #100
Senior - BHPian

Also on Gypsy MG410W

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
I have tried this on the Gypsy, and it works...2H to 4H at about 30kmph without any problem, and 4H to 4L at about 5kmph (with some trick as you mentioned ). But it is always better to shift from 4H to 4L at standstill.
Old 3rd June 2008, 19:20   #101
BHPian

On a gypsy you can change to 4wd high even at 100kph.
Old 5th June 2008, 13:10   #102
BHPian

Jack, at 100 kmph and no central differential you better be going in a geometrical straight line !!
Old 5th June 2008, 13:47   #103
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, Sharat, welcome to jeeps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I used to be a pure car guy, and I didn't like SUVs much. I used to argue against high CG, bad handling, lumbering girth, and gas-guzzling nature of SUVs.
Good samurai, that was the past. I can see your addiction to jeeps

Quote:
There I drove the Jeep for the first time in my life. Hmm, technically that is not correct, I have driven Jeep Cherokee Laredo before, but here I am referring to the Indian Jeep, the MM540.
Trust me, that is one of the better maintained jeeps this side of town, which is also his daily drive!

Quote:
I routinely took out GV for short off-roading forays. I even got custom skid plates made for the GV. While GV performs well in moderate situations without any hitch, the chances of body panel damage increases significantly at higher degree of difficulty. After scraping the body panel, and cracking the fiber rear bumper, I started thinking seriously.
Good decision!

Quote:
Considering I had caught the off-roading bug pretty seriously, there was no going back. But GV won't take me all the way, I needed a hardcore and cheap grunt I can push anywhere without worrying about body damage. After discussing my dilemma with many team-BHPians like GTO, Arka and Sideways, I finally considered getting an old diesel Mahindra Jeep, say MM540 or CJ series. And GV would remain as my primary bad road family vehicle, the main reason why it was bought. This decision caused quite some buzz in the DBHP section.

Quote:
But the engine sounds to be in superb shape, soon I have to get the engine rebuilt, just to be on the safer side.
Why do you have to rebuild an engine in good shape?

BTW, noted that you had an uneventful trip from Bangalore. BTW, you dont need disc brakes in the CJ340 as it is not a modification worthwhile.

The Jeep does not stop and will not stop due to many factors, only one of which is the drum brake!

There are a couple of disc brake modded ones here but the efficiency is not that great! And there are limitations in off roading.

Best is to leave it as it is, get a good set of NDMS tyres [even 6.00X16] is good enough.

Change engine oil regularly, change your diff oils every 5K [it takes months] kms. It is a nice jeep without any modding!

Congrats once again, but I'd still love to see your GV at Kelambakkam
Old 5th June 2008, 13:48   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack33 View Post
On a gypsy you can change to 4wd high even at 100kph.
BS Jack, you cannot change to 4wd at 100 kph unless your front shaft is removed!
Old 5th June 2008, 13:55   #105
Team-BHP Support

I have shifted to 4Wd at 60kmph in the Gypsy king 1.3 carb.
IIRC, even the manual said that shift on the fly could happen upto 60kmph.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks