Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2008, 13:14   #121
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Nothing so far, just getting the brakes and radiator repaired. I just want it to be reliable for now. I'll do off-road related mods only after doing some off-roading.
That would be a sensible way to proceed. This past Jeep Thrills event in Hyderabad it was such a joke to see all the modded Jeeps pretending they were all beefed up and ready for the "tough" obstacles and a bog standard 540 did it all effortlessly!
Old 10th June 2008, 13:27   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear DKG - you are absolutely correct. A standard 4WD vehicle is equipped with the suitable driveline to provide the requisite and reliable tractive effort which 4WD wants. Unfortunately in our country, many so-called "modifications" are only ego boosting activities which more often than not buggers up the basic vehicle. I can only sympathize with the cars who suffer such cruel fate silently. I can make this statement confidently because I have driven almost all around the country in offroad events on numerous occasions in the absolutely standard CL340 and I have taken this vehicle "where no vehicle has gone before". It is almost a mountain goat, provided you know where to go in what gear in high or low range, for which 4WD must operate absolutely smoothly, which is sadly not the case with many vehicles. This vehicle is not with me for the last one year now otherwise I was going to install a Ramsey 8000 lbs winch which was the only basic 4WD necessity I was missing in this car. The registration number was MH01P2540.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2008, 13:35   #123
Team-BHP Support

I concur Mr.Dhabhar, I want to participate in few off-road events to understand the vehicle before I do anything to it. My immediate concern is brakes, because I feel it is not effective, even for a Jeep. The mechanic has revealed few problems, hopefully that was the cause.

Last edited by Samurai : 10th June 2008 at 13:51.
Old 13th June 2008, 01:05   #124
Team-BHP Support

How to live with a CJ340 or similar Jeep?

For me buying was the easy part.

As the seller delivered me the Jeep, the first thing he did was open the hood and check on the radiator. The coolant was leaking at the joint. So he applied m-seal to stop the leak and asked me to check on it throughout the 400+ kms drive I was about to start. Meanwhile others had asked me to carry hoses and belts and rings and what not. And I thought to myself, welcome to the wild side!

Living with cars is a very easy, fill up petrol, check on oil, check the air, do periodic service and you will get along fine. One doesn't have to be technical to own and live with a car. But Jeep is another matter altogether.

And now I had a Jeep and I didn't know anything about it. And I had a leaking radiator and weak brakes waiting to be fixed. So I spent all my spare time last week understanding how an automobile cooling system works, and how the entire braking system works. Something I never bother to learn before. With the Jeep I had to understand that, before I visited the mechanic. That knowledge came in very handy as I discussed with the mechanic, I could understand his jargon and also ask intelligent questions instead of just nod at everything. BTW, last month after I decided to buy a diesel jeep, I spent a week understanding how a DI and an IDI engine works. So this is turning out to be a very educational experience.

First, I want to understand what I am looking at when I open the hood. After that I can learn about how to maintain it.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p6120956.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p6120958.jpg

1) Brake fluid reservoir
2) Air intake? where is the air filter...
3) Engine
4) Brake master cylinder?
5) ?
6) Fuse box (sorry no cover)
7) Coolant overflow tank
8) Radiator
9) Fan
10) Battery
11) ?
12) ? (exhaust...)
13) Heat sink?
14) ?
15) ?
16) Oil check rod

So help me guys, fill in the blanks.

Last edited by Samurai : 13th June 2008 at 18:27.
Old 13th June 2008, 01:13   #125
Senior - BHPian

2.Oil bath type air filter assembly.
4.Fuel filter assembly with priming device.
5. Headlight Relay
11. Oil filter
12.valve door cap/oil filler cap with breather.
14. Another relay -horn,i guess
15. Fuel injection pump.
Old 13th June 2008, 01:21   #126
Team-BHP Support

That was quick Nitrous. Alright, more questions tomorrow when I get down under.
Old 13th June 2008, 01:41   #127
BHPian

This engine is very similar to the tractor engine. It can be repaired by tractor mechanic where ever you can not find a jeep mechanic.
5 or 14 can be voltage regulator which is required when a normal dynamo used. Now a days alternator is used to charge the battery. If your jeep has dynamo(not alternator) then you will have voltage regulator. If this is the case then try to change it to a alternator which is better.
13 seems to be just a metal stuff which supports the radiator. I think there is no engine oil cooler. This can be found in some of the tractors especially swaraj tractors.

Please post some more photos of the engine and other parts.
Old 13th June 2008, 07:31   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivapsreddy View Post
5 or 14 can be voltage regulator which is required when a normal dynamo used. .
Naah 5 is a head light relay. Its cover seems to have come off .
Old 13th June 2008, 09:46   #129
Senior - BHPian

2) Air Intake with Cylindrical Air filter

4) Diesel filter, there are two required 1 for bigger particles and other for fine. The round cylinder thing protuding upwards is the manual priming pump (to remove airlocks etc). Just unscrew holding the top wheel and it will extend upwards.

5) Relays, but dont seem to be connected or cant see the wires.

7) Looks like an after fitment as it didnt use to come with the JEEP.

11) Oil filter

12) Engine oil filler cap with breathing pipe.

14) Looks like another relay/ regulator.

15) Fuel pump

Oops! nitrous answered most of it.

Last edited by dadu : 13th June 2008 at 09:52.
Old 13th June 2008, 10:08   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivapsreddy View Post
This engine is very similar to the tractor engine.
I think you are refering to the earlier International Engine which came with 3+1 gear box. This one is 2.1L Peugeot engine with 4+1 gear box, same as the Classic.
Old 13th June 2008, 10:52   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Samurai - it is indeed nice to see your genuine interest in this vehicle. I am happy. Just to fill you in once again, your vehicle is a M&M CL340 DP 80" wheelbase 48" wheeltrack four wheel drive fitted with the XDP4.90 diesel engine, KMT90 transmission and T18 transfer case. I have given specifications already. As far as the underbonnet photographs are concerned, generally everything is in place. The original cable operated accelerator control system is removed and somebody has fitted links in it's place. This is an idiotic misconception in the minds of traditional mechanics and I suggest you revert back to the cable. Parts should not be a problem. This is number 11 in your photograph no 2, just next to the oil filter. The original outer cable holding adapters are still there on the FIP (no 15, photograph no 2). Further, somebody has fitted a silly bonnet light and an old generation aftermarket headlight relay whose lid is missing. I suggest you go to a good electrician and throw these useless things out. The fuses are also not original. Please refer my post on page no 60 of the automobile lighting thread in this forum and use the information to build reliability into your vehicle's electrical system. Also, please check water in the radiator always. The XDP4.90 is a wet liner engine and any rise in temperature will lead to immediate seizure. I will give you service and lubrication instructions shortly.

Best regardsm,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 13th June 2008, 12:47   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Samurai - it is indeed nice to see your genuine interest in this vehicle. I am happy.
Well, it has that simple elegance, makes it irresistible.

Quote:
Just to fill you in once again, your vehicle is a M&M CL340 DP 80" wheelbase 48" wheeltrack four wheel drive fitted with the XDP4.90 diesel engine, KMT90 transmission and T18 transfer case. I have given specifications already.
Actually I never received any PM from you, so I don't have the specifications I had asked you.

The plaque says CJ340, is it because the renaming to CL340 happened after 1994?
Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-312253361_4a5sdo.jpg

Quote:
The original cable operated accelerator control system is removed and somebody has fitted links in it's place. This is an idiotic misconception in the minds of traditional mechanics and I suggest you revert back to the cable. Parts should not be a problem. This is number 11 in your photograph no 2, just next to the oil filter. The original outer cable holding adapters are still there on the FIP (no 15, photograph no 2).
Hopefully these parts can be ordered I suppose. I'll see what I can do about this.

Quote:
Further, somebody has fitted a silly bonnet light and an old generation aftermarket headlight relay whose lid is missing. I suggest you go to a good electrician and throw these useless things out. The fuses are also not original. Please refer my post on page no 60 of the automobile lighting thread in this forum and use the information to build reliability into your vehicle's electrical system.
I am planning to visit an auto electrician this week to fix the problem with my headlights, so I'll check with him. What do you mean fuses are not original, the individual fuses or the whole fuse panel?

Quote:
Also, please check water in the radiator always. The XDP4.90 is a wet liner engine and any rise in temperature will lead to immediate seizure.
Yes, I am being very careful about the water.

Quote:
I will give you service and lubrication instructions shortly.
Looking forward to it.

Now, what is this fuel line doing here, it looks very disorderly.
Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-312247407_k4i7yx3.jpg

Also see the skid plates added by the previous owner.
Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-312251830_gxfcnx2.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-312252591_anp48xl.jpg
Old 13th June 2008, 13:01   #133
BHPian

Great to see your interest and the pics, Samu. You are really in love with it. Dhabhar never ceases to amuse me - how can someone have this much accurate info on an old model.
BTW, from the pics, it seems it's time for your wheel alignment to be done.
Old 13th June 2008, 13:31   #134
Senior - BHPian

@ Samurai, # 13 in your first pic is the engine radiator shroud. This is used to direct the air flow only at the radiator. Do you have an additional electric fan? Fitting one in front of the radiator inside the shroud would help run your jeep for a short while, even if your fan belt/ water pump fails!

The other numbers, have been answered I guess!
Old 13th June 2008, 13:56   #135
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Samurai, its just so wonderful to see a fellow enthusiast getting into it whole hog. That's the spirit Sir and I can see you will enjoy the whole experience a lot deeper than most who never bother to understand their steed. We have a great bunch of guys around the country and TBHP is most certainly playing the part of bringing it all together. All this is so wonderful. I'm excited already Can't wait to get myself a Gurkha

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks