Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2008, 14:36   #136
Senior - BHPian

Falling in love with Jeeps !!!

Samurai, in the pic showing the skid-plates, what is the green liquid on the (front?) axle ? ...I hope it is just coolant overflow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
...BTW, from the pics, it seems it's time for your wheel alignment to be done.
I think it is the image distortion due to wideangle camera lens that is making you feel so.
Old 13th June 2008, 14:50   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
BTW, from the pics, it seems it's time for your wheel alignment to be done.
That's the wide-angle lens effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Samurai, its just so wonderful to see a fellow enthusiast getting into it whole hog. That's the spirit Sir and I can see you will enjoy the whole experience a lot deeper than most who never bother to understand their steed.
Thanks. With modern cars, it is not a need. But with Jeep, I feel it is a necessity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Samurai, in the pic showing the skid-plates, what is the green liquid on the (front?) axle ? ...I hope it is just coolant overflow.
Yeah, that's the coolant, not alien blood. I am afraid the radiator is still leaking, not through the recently soldered joints, but from somewhere else. Need one more visit to the garage I am afraid.
Old 15th June 2008, 00:20   #138
Team-BHP Support

Ok, I think I can identify most parts here.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p6120963.jpg

17) Steering rod?
18) This makes sure both wheels turn together, what's the name?
19) front differential
20) Leaf springs, this is connected to the live axle in the middle and the chassis is suspended at both the ends. This is basically the suspension which bears the weight of the vehicle.
21) Shock Absorber or Dampner. This dampens sudden movement of the suspended chassis in uneven roads.
22) chassis
23) Live axle.
24) Wheel drum, the brakes reside inside this.

Meanwhile, can somebody shed some light on what one needs to carry on the Jeep for emergencies. And why they are needed, and how to use them.
Old 15th June 2008, 04:13   #139
Senior - BHPian

Great thread Samurai. I have just been inducted to the Jeep owners club. The Jeep is a vehicle that is as alien to me, as it is to you but getting hold of one ia my childhood dream come true.
Your thread here will help people like me to get to know their vehicles better without asking too many basic questions.
Im providing a link to the thread I started about my Jeep. Ill be glued on to this thread. Cant tell you how helpful it has been to me. Thanks.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...-now-what.html
Old 15th June 2008, 10:01   #140
Senior - BHPian

Sharat, IMO 17 and 18 together is called the "drag link". They help in steering the jeep.
Old 15th June 2008, 14:36   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
BS Jack, you cannot change to 4wd at 100 kph unless your front shaft is removed!
Guys,shifting to 4h in a gypsy is possible at high speeds,but don't know about the technicality of it.I had done that in a MG410 on mud as well as wet tarmac. I don't remember me doing that on dry roads as it is not required.We have been doing that on an MPFI 2001 gypsy recently in our Manali-leh-srinagar trip.Anyway after our 6 day- 2400 km long trip, the front diff oil had started leaking.It may be due to the overuse of the 4WD.
Old 15th June 2008, 20:28   #142
BHPian

#18 is the tie rod. As you said, it helps bot wheels steer together. The Jeep steering mechanism has MANY balljoints in it, and is prone to develope freeplay. The tie rod is also prone to bending if a the vehicle is abused off-road, but it can be fixed by adjusting the length of its ends.
Old 16th June 2008, 01:25   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Isnt that coolant liquid residue out there? Was this before you attended to the problem?
Old 16th June 2008, 20:27   #144
BHPian

Beautiful jeep samurai. What is the little hinge like object on the right side of the rear bumper? Please do take away those strips on the side and the handle like protections on the tail lamps.
Old 17th June 2008, 01:27   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestraveller View Post
Beautiful jeep samurai. What is the little hinge like object on the right side of the rear bumper? Please do take away those strips on the side and the handle like protections on the tail lamps.
I think I will answer that myself I guess there was a reverse lamp fitted there before.
Old 17th June 2008, 07:33   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
#18 is the tie rod. As you said, it helps bot wheels steer together. The Jeep steering mechanism has MANY balljoints in it, and is prone to develope freeplay. The tie rod is also prone to bending if a the vehicle is abused off-road, but it can be fixed by adjusting the length of its ends.
It cant be fixed entirely. I've had my gypsy's drag link replaced. At some point, they become bent to cause front wheel wobble. you may not feel it in the steering though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Isnt that coolant liquid residue out there? Was this before you attended to the problem?
Yeah it is coolant and sharat has already answered that point I'd guess!
Old 17th June 2008, 09:27   #147
Team-BHP Support

The radiator problem is not exactly solved. Last Friday I again had to fill 2lt of water. I even saw some leakage when the engine was left on. At that time I had filled the radiator to the brim.

But I haven't seen any leakage since then, not sure how it could self-heal like that. Yesterday I drove it twice, after both drives I checked below the radiator, no leak.

It has been suggested that I should just replace the radiator with a new one. How much does a new CJ340 radiator cost?
Old 17th June 2008, 11:55   #148
BANNED

Before you replace the radiator - there are people who fix radiators - they will identify leaks and fix them using molten zinc. Look out for places with old radiators on display - like tyre repair shops displaying useless tyres. Asking a taxi / jeep near you will give some pointers to an exact location.

A radiator is basically two tanks at top and bottom with several channels containing coolant / water running vertically, and horizontal fins to help dissipate heat. The channels and tank bocdy will be copper. So, you should be able to get at least 1/3 of the value of a new radiator as scrap value for the old radiator.

In certain cases like accident damage to the vertical channels the radiator repair guy will simply close the channel, and I am told that a radiator will work (depends on vahicle) even with 5% of the channels blocked. In certain cases, the channels / channel assembly along need be replaced, without replacing the entire radiator (ie. you re-use the tanks). Have done this on a Ashok Leyland bus. About 10 channels were closed. the radiatory repair guy had said that on trucks which had the same ALM 370 entine, they cannot block more than 3 channels. :-)

Of course, your jeep being a vehicle intended for serious off roading, you may be happier replacing the entire radiator.

Yet another alternative for you will be to identify the equivalent of "Chor bazar" for your locality and find a radiator from a dismantled vehicle for your jeep. Again, these radiator repair guys will have them handy.
Old 17th June 2008, 14:54   #149
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Even without a leak, old Jeeps *drink* up radiator water pretty fast. Samurai : Check the condition of your fan and shroud too.
Old 17th June 2008, 15:22   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai
It has been suggested that I should just replace the radiator with a new one. How much does a new CJ340 radiator cost?
Keep monitoring the engine temperature level while driving.
If it's overheating (temperature 20% more than normal), you will need to do something about the radiator.
As Backseatdriver mentioned ,you can replace the 'core' alone with a new one and re-use the existing top and bottom tanks in it. You might get some value for the old 'core'.
This is the simple solution.

There is a more advanced solution.But, we won't go there since we don't need to,right now.

Most Viewed